DirtyACE7

Please help me understand the M48 Patton

Question

I have played around 60 battles so far in my M48 and I feel like a freaking deer in headlights playing in it. I don't seem to understand how to make it work even though I did pretty well in all the tanks leading up to it. I'm constantly blowing hot and cold. Yesterday I was feeling like I was starting to get a feel for it and today it was just one disastrous game after another, finishing my day at only 1300WN8 and a below 50% WR. It makes me want to rip my hair out in all honesty. I'm constantly watching replays of top players using this tank but it feels like I'm driving a completely different vehicle when playing it. I would appreciate any tips/help as I really want to like this tank as it is my first Tier 10.

Thank you

9 answers to this question

First, i'm assuming you have the top gun for the tank.  If you don't, get it (via free experience, ideally) before you judge the tank - the "stock" gun is really kind of useless in comparison to other tier 10 medium guns.

The strengths of the Patton are (1) amazing snapshots, (2) amazing snapshots, and (3) have I mentioned the amazing snapshots?  Slightly more seriously, the Patton combines a few good characteristics.  Good gun depression, awesome bloom values (coupled with slightly lower speed, which makes the effective bloom feel better), a 390-alpha gun, and a turret that is capable of at least getting troll bounces.  You want to leverage your snapshotting ability to poke out and take shots quickly, before your enemies have time to aim.  You can also fight on hills reasonably well, and your snapshotting ability makes this more effective (especially compared to the other hill-fighting tier 10 mediums).  These are the two things to leverage first.

You can do this by either fighting other mediums at range (poke quickly, fire, and retreat, minimizing your exposure), or by poking between the reloads of enemy heavies.  Either way is viable.  With mediums, you can trade 1 for 1, although this is obviously not recommended in the opening part of the game.  Against heavies, you don't want to try to actually be a heavy tank, you just want to act as a force multiplier for the heavies you have.  

The lack of speed compared to other mediums can be both a curse and a blessing.  It does mean you can't take some of the more aggressive initial positions as safely, but it also means it's harder to over-extend in the opening part of the game.

Hope some of this helps.  I think the Patton is a somewhat unique combination of both relatively easy for a newer player to learn, and possessing enough abusable characteristics to be fun for very skilled players to play.

Im not a purple poaster but i can tell you a few things i do in my m48. (3k dpg, 60+%wr, ~80 battles so far).

You need to be where the fight is but you should never be the first tank spotted.

Patton is awesome for snap poking. You need to reduce exposure time to a minimum. And you have godlike gun handling to back it up. Work ridgelines, poke behind allies when enemies fired, be the target they see only for half a sec when you need to fire. Never trade.

Accuracy is meh so it can troll you sometimes which is why i try to keep engagement within 350m. Dpm is not half bad aswell so doest really matter that much if you miss sometimes.

Ive burned once in 80 battles and that was a shot in my engine deck. Cola is a good choice imo. 

Also vr is awesome so you will have the upper hand on the first few freeshots as well as the cleanup/late game carry stage.

Have my 0.02$

3 marked m48 here. 

It's a front line opportunist. Pay very close attention to where everyone is looking, get into a spot where you can abuse camo and/or ridgelines. Your goal should be spending 1s or less exposed, and then using reload time to go dark or move to a different spot. 

Watch your map, and know when to bail out of a flank that will fall soon. it's much better to make it out of a flank with most of your hp, rather than dead with an extra 2-3 shots of damage. That being said, know when you have enough strength to last and win a flank through outplaying the enemy. 

Don't bother using armor unless trying to bait shots with your tracks. It's trash tier against everything shooting at you. (and then laugh as a baddie e100 bounces 3 ap rounds in a row against your turret). 

Thank you for all your advice guys :)

11 hours ago, _Juris said:

First, i'm assuming you have the top gun for the tank.  If you don't, get it (via free experience, ideally) before you judge the tank - the "stock" gun is really kind of useless in comparison to other tier 10 medium guns.

The strengths of the Patton are (1) amazing snapshots, (2) amazing snapshots, and (3) having I mentioned the amazing snapshots?  Slightly more seriously, the Patton combines a few good characteristics.  Good gun depression, awesome bloom values (coupled with slightly lower speed, which makes the effective bloom feel better), a 390-alpha gun, and a turret that is capable of at least getting troll bounces.  You want to leverage your snapshotting ability to poke out and take shots quickly, before your enemies have time to aim.  You can also fight on hills reasonably well, and your snapshotting ability makes this more effective (especially compared to the other hill-fighting tier 10 mediums).  These are the two things to leverage first.

You can do this by either fighting other mediums at range (poke quickly, fire, and retreat, minimizing your exposure), or by poking between the reloads of enemy heavies.  Either way is viable.  With mediums, you can trade 1 for 1, although this is obviously not recommended in the opening part of the game.  Against heavies, you don't want to try to actually be a heavy tank, you just want to act as a force multiplier for the heavies you have.  

The lack of speed compared to other mediums can be both a curse and a blessing.  It does mean you can't take some of the more aggressive initial positions as safely, but it also means it's harder to over-extend in the opening part of the game.

Hope some of this helps.  I think the Patton is a somewhat unique combination of both relatively easy for a newer player to learn, and possessing enough abusable characteristics to be fun for very skilled players to play.

Yes, I do have the top gun, however, it just feels somehow more derpy than the M46 gun, snapshots or not. However, maybe it's also just me. I will try to stick more to the snapshot tactic and see how it goes. The other thing I'm thinking that is actually causing me to not do well right now is being in tier 10 every match. With the M46 I was doing much much better and it gave me the impression that I should do well in tier 10 as well but it feels like a different game. Was it like this for you when you first reached tier 10?

3 hours ago, TaylorSwift said:

3 marked m48 here. 

It's a front line opportunist. Pay very close attention to where everyone is looking, get into a spot where you can abuse camo and/or ridgelines. Your goal should be spending 1s or less exposed, and then using reload time to go dark or move to a different spot. 

Watch your map, and know when to bail out of a flank that will fall soon. it's much better to make it out of a flank with most of your hp, rather than dead with an extra 2-3 shots of damage. That being said, know when you have enough strength to last and win a flank through outplaying the enemy. 

Don't bother using armor unless trying to bait shots with your tracks. It's trash tier against everything shooting at you. (and then laugh as a baddie e100 bounces 3 ap rounds in a row against your turret). 

Yes, my map-watching is still a work in progress. I honestly try to remind myself to be mindful of it but I still have so many battles when it's just about forgotten even though I have made it quite large. It's simply a habit I'm having trouble developing as I get so engrossed with driving, maneuvering, shooting the enemy. And of course this will cause me to be out of position or hanging back too long when I should have retreated.

Could you guys post some replays for me of your M48 battles?

OP:  Here's a link to Fyreon's M48 Patton replay pack with commentary from BatGurl:

Is there anyone with subpar shooting skills (either due to very high ping or poor reflexes) that does ~3k+ wn8 in the M48?

On 9/8/2016 at 1:01 AM, TaylorSwift said:

Here's the one replay I have of an m48 match, idk if 6 months ago works. I will try to hunt down more stuff soon(tm). 

Thanks TS but unfortunately it no longer works.