Shade421

Official Show Off Your Vehicle Thread!!

I've read somewhere the same. And on top of that the same reason why the ladies should stand/walk on the man's right. If in need to draw sword quickly, to lessen the chance to cut her while doing so :)

It may seem retarded, but actually i watched some video, i think Lindybeige explains it, that not a lot of people were skilled with swords, and people manage to massacre themselves with kitchen knives, let alone with a lot bigger sharp thingies, so I would imagine those accidents were not rare.

3 hours ago, OOPMan said:

My Peugeot has a Porsche Tiptronic gearbox. But I'm still enjoying not having to shift gears so I don't use it much :-)

Auto is certainly nice, but new auto. Not old one 3 speed auto :D 

3 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Auto is certainly nice, but new auto. Not old one 3 speed auto :D 

The gearbox in my car is pretty nice. 6-speed (Not as good as the new 7 and 8 speeds but it is a family car) with sport mode, snow mode and the option for manual shifting. It's definitely not one of those weird old automatics (I actually drove one) with D1, D2, D3 and all that shit.

1 minute ago, OOPMan said:

The gearbox in my car is pretty nice. 6-speed (Not as good as the new 7 and 8 speeds but it is a family car) with sport mode, snow mode and the option for manual shifting. It's definitely not one of those weird old automatics (I actually drove one) with D1, D2, D3 and all that shit.

I know.

I drove couple new 7G Tronics, and they are really nice.

4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

@Shade421 Hey man, don't knock the Hilux. South African farmers gotta drive something and Ford SA doesn't import all those F-1XX monster trucks ;-)

Besides the Hilux (particularly in it's Legend variant), Isuzus, Nissans and some Land Rovers are also popular with the outdoors types here. And there is plenty of rough terrain in this country btw and a lot less paved roads to drive on outside of the cities and major inter-city routes.

However, towing large loads with small vehicles is not that popular around here. Most of the time people have to move long distance they hire a removals company and everything gets put in a proper truck and trailer combo.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love the Hilux. I really wish they sold them here. Ever since Top Gear did the North Pole special I've wanted one. I'm just saying there's a few really good reasons that they just won't do for some people here.

40 minutes ago, Shade421 said:

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love the Hilux. I really wish they sold them here. Ever since Top Gear did the North Pole special I've wanted one. I'm just saying there's a few really good reasons that they just won't do for some people here.

Wait...they don't sell the Hilux in the USA? 

Wat?

8 hours ago, karl0ssus1 said:

Hot hatches never took off in the states I guess. 200+ HP in a lightweight car with go-kart handling? Yes please.

Theyve got bigger over time though, but the horsepower figures have matched it, the Focus RS is putting out something stupid like 350HP through all four wheels. 

Personally, Im driving a 2.2 litre Camry, and that thing is too big to park in my garage (inner city living... gotta love it).

We never got blessed with hot hatches though, we got 80-120hp economy cars while your side of the ocean got Cosworth twin cam beast

1 hour ago, OOPMan said:

Wait...they don't sell the Hilux in the USA? 

Wat?

Nope. Closest we have is the Tacoma. Basically the same but no diesel option and I'm relatively sure way more expensive for no reason.

2016_toyota_tacoma_f34_fe_1008151_717.jp 

Toyota-HiLux_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_22

1 hour ago, Shade421 said:

Nope. Closest we have is the Tacoma. Basically the same but no diesel option and I'm relatively sure way more expensive for no reason.

2016_toyota_tacoma_f34_fe_1008151_717.jp 

Toyota-HiLux_2016_1600x1200_wallpaper_22

Weird. Similar but different.

The current craze in Hiluxes here seems to be the Legend variant:

hilux-dusty.jpg

The Dakar Raider variant is also popular:

Toyota-Hilux-3.0D-4D-double-cab-4x4-Raid

Toyota-Hilux-3.0D-4D-double-cab-4x4-Raid

Honestly, I'm not sure what the difference is between the Legend and the Raider, they're just great big gas guzzlers to me ;-)

@Shade421 What about Nissan Hardbodys and Isuzu KBs, do they not sell those either?

10 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

Some of us like the monstrosities.  I'm not one of them.  In fact, I used to laugh quite a bit when working at Texas hospitals, and seeing people with their Special Extended Crew Cab Dual Texas Edition trucks try to park, or fit up ramps in the parking garage.  My observation is more along the lines of everything in Europe being quite small.  I've seriously seen vehicles that had to be from kits, built just big enough for a single person and some groceries.  I've heard the tiny motors straining to get up the hills in places like Mykonos.  Also, I see a lot more mopeds or light two wheelers.  

But ignoring the sizes, there seems to be a fairly homogeneous styling across euro cars that looks very bland to me.  Likely a cultural thing.  

The sized are probably necessary, as the roads I've seen here are quite a bit more narrow.  

Especially on the road thing - if you looked at the video i posted of me driving my car, trying to drive a big american pickup on that road like Nelsons truck, it would take up both sides of it. Also, towards the end when im on the coastal part of the road, some of those corners, along with that truck taking up the entire road, it wouldnt be able to get around those corners. Its too long and the corner is too sharp. And theres no runoff for him to use either because its a cliff.

@OOPMan We get the Nisssan Frontier:

2016-Nissan-Frontier-exterior-design.jpg

and Isuzu no longer sells normal consumer vehicles here. When they did, it was pretty much just the Rodeo:

2002_isuzu_rodeo_4dr-suv_lse_fq_oem_1_42

Everything they sell here now is commercial trucks or industrial diesel engines and the like. No consumer market anymore.

But AFAIK, no one else gets the Nissan Titan:

2016_Nissan_TITAN_XD_Platinum_Reserve.jp

or the Toyota Tundra:

hqdefault.jpg

Both basically full size truck offerings for the American market. And both with big V8's because freedom.

Yep, the Frontier is the Navara. Its a good Ute.

Down here we have the Holden Colorado:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIkY01BOTd0fza_1LkyzfQV2wEEH9JUT4Hwjvld1JwfJ4V7A2md5TsQEN5Gw

(it wont embed)

Before the Colorado, we had the Holden Rodeo, which was a bit snaller smaller and a bit nicer IMO.

My dad had a Rodeo, it was nice. 3.4L Turbo desiel, HUGE brakes, they stopped it in an instant - and saved him a couple of times from crashes. Nice inside as well, comfortable and well equipped.

11 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Because until recent, automatic really sucked major balls. 

I still prefer DSG (which isn't auto) than an auto gearbox. I drove few older cars, and i hate every second of that stupid TQ converter slip.

Also, EU has more expensive gas, and we literally can't afford gas guzzlers and V10 OHC engine, when we can achieve same BHP/WTQ with 2.0 turbo. 

Automatics are still very uncommon in brazil and are both expensive to aquire and fix.

We also have expensive gas so majority of cars sold until recently have 1.0 engines, now 1.4 to 1.6 are becoming more popular as they became more efficient. Our engines can also run on gas (brazilian gasoline is 20-25% ethanol) or ethanol or any mix of both, dunno if that's a thing on EU or US yet.

Those engines look weak, the 1.4L on my car gets "only" 98hp on gasoline, but traveling long distances you can do 14 kilometers per litre, which is almost 33 MPG.

8 hours ago, BattleMetalChris said:

Is there any truth in the legend about why different countries drive on the left/right?

The story I heard was that centuries ago, when passing a stranger on the road, you'd keep them on the side you held your sword, just in case shit went down. As most people are right handed, that meant you travelled on the left-hand-side of the road.

I think that, being right handed, i'd have more issues to get used to a manual shift if it were on my left.

4 hours ago, Shade421 said:

Nope. Closest we have is the Tacoma. Basically the same but no diesel option and I'm relatively sure way more expensive for no reason

Are these big american trucks all gasoline engines are there are options with diesels?

@Shackram The biggest and most expensive ones are diesel, but not for the same reason European cars are made diesel. Audi tried this with the Q7 (the twin turbo diesel v12 model) a few years ago and it made no sense to a lot of European markets; our diesels are made to be more powerful, not more efficient. Obviously, just by being diesel they are more efficient, but we buy diesel trucks because of the extra pulling power and durability. The Dodge Ram 2500, for example has an option of a 6.4L V8 making 430Lb-ft of torque...or a 6.7L inline 6 cylinder diesel making 800LB-ft. I think Europe uses Newton-meters to measure torque on vehicles so it would be 583Nm to 1084Nm between the gas v8 and diesel I6.

Toyota and Nissan don't currently offer diesel trucks due to the nonsense emissions standards imposed on them by some states. The same reason VW stopped selling diesel vehicles here for years. It's not a big deal for domestic manufacturers because this is the only market they sell those things in anyway, but our diesel emissions regulations make no sense at all anywhere else in the world. The one exception to this trend I can remember off the top of my head was the 2004ish Jeep Liberty with the CRD 4 cylinder diesel. Back when Chrysler was owned by ze Germans, they re-purposed a small Mercedes diesel 4 banger and put it in a tiny Jeep SUV for the sole purpose of making it more efficient, not more powerful. It didn't really catch on and they stopped making them after less than 5 years.

1 hour ago, Shackram said:

I think that, being right handed, i'd have more issues to get used to a manual shift if it were on my left.

You get used to it - I'm right handed and have only ever driven manuals (automatics are pretty rare here although they're getting more popular for city cars) and of course, we drive on the left here.

I went to France a couple of weeks ago and hired a car - it took me about 2 days to get used to everything but for those two days I had hands like cows' tits. I never managed to stop putting my hand in the door pocket when I needed the handbrake though.

2 hours ago, Shackram said:

Automatics are still very uncommon in brazil and are both expensive to aquire and fix.

We also have expensive gas so majority of cars sold until recently have 1.0 engines, now 1.4 to 1.6 are becoming more popular as they became more efficient. Our engines can also run on gas (brazilian gasoline is 20-25% ethanol) or ethanol or any mix of both, dunno if that's a thing on EU or US yet.

Those engines look weak, the 1.4L on my car gets "only" 98hp on gasoline, but traveling long distances you can do 14 kilometers per litre, which is almost 33 MPG.

I think they putting more autos here recourse of little lower consumption and better mpg (because smart auto is more efficient than stupid stick driver), also  we have more and more 1.0 Turbos and stuff, because again efficiency and emissions. 

Most common here in Croatia (and i think EU) is 1.6TD-2.0TD (lots of 20d bimmers,VAGs, Mercs, PSA) with consumption around 5l/100km that's about 50MPG, because 1.1e-1.5e/liter, depends on state...

And we got hybrid/EV state support, so i'm looking now for some EV as company car (tax reduction and other financial advantages)... I would  like daily drive M5, but paying 2-3 kunas / km, is out of this world.

So, I was cleabing the back bumper of my car just now, and noted the exhaust tailpipe was super dirty. I figured fuck it. And stsrted to clean it as well. And low and behold, as I cleaned it: a name/logo appeared. Ohshit. It was "G-Power Medallion" 

After a quick google. The exhaust system on my car is infact a Tanabe G-Power Medallion exhaust system, which apparently back in 2002 was considered really good system and well known for giving a fair bit of extra power without being absurdly loud.

Sweet

My Dakota pulling out an old friends 02 Dakota which had immediately before been discovered the transfer case switch no longer worked...so he was 2wd for the moment...

And my big stupid diesel work truck being build out of a jud hole by a bunch of rednecks with a snatch rope because 9000lb vehicles with highway towing tires don't mud so good, apparently....hurrrr...

15 minutes ago, Eggs_benedict_cumberbund said:

1969 Blue Bird wanderlodge Party RV 

2qs59np.jpg

That RV looks pretty cool, has it been restored?

9 minutes ago, Eggs_benedict_cumberbund said:

No 5.0= Fag

Bruh, hes like 22 or some shit. Any mustang for someone that young is fine in my book