Pocktio

Honobru Japanese Destroyerbru

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/japanese-dd-incoming/

The destroyers marked in red will reinforce the current Japanese Tech-Tree in the near future. We are aware that the changes depicted in the image above may impact you directly if you own some of the ships from the Japanese Destroyers branch, as a small reshuffle has been done to the line. More details on how this will be handled will arrive later, but don’t worry—if you have unlocked a certain ship in the Japanese Destroyers branch that has been affected by the change, we'll make sure that you are properly compensated!

The Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki and Yūgumo are currently undergoing their final test cruise. We need to make sure they are as sharp as a katana and as fast as shurikens before they join the Imperial Japanese Navy! Soon, we’ll be ready to share the date that they’ll appear on the public test server! Be sure to keep an eye on the news so you don’t miss anything, Captains!

Soon, destroy honorress foreign devil with sepperu Japanru destroyerbru. 

Is...is there a difference between the branches? Like one is gun focused the other retains traditional Japanru Bunduru of Torpedodo?

There was a Russian dev post which suggested one branch is going to be a slightly more torpedo focused branch of universal destroyers (a bit like the current US destroyers are) and the other is going to be a much more gun focused line, with the T8 having eight 100mm guns. 

These look like pretty great changes actually. The current JP DD playstyle (the one most people use anyway) is pretty brain dead. Despite what Reddit says it doesn't take much skill to stay stealth and spam torpedoes. It's like arty in WoT only with arbitrary decisions by the carrier player or the target as your randomness gate rather than WGs RNG. If they change the line to raise the skill ceiling and drop the skill floor I'm all for it.

To me it's just boring.

Wander around for a bit, throw out torps, wait. Wait. Wait. Oh I might hit that guy no, didn't. Welp....and repeat.

6 hours ago, Crossfader said:

spends stupid amounts of money on WT and gets burned but wont play WoWs... ok :kjugh:

oh come on, tenks are much different from ships. plus i kinda suck at ships and the game-play is slow. not to say its a bad game i just wasn't into it that much when i tried it.

12 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

These look like pretty great changes actually. The current JP DD playstyle (the one most people use anyway) is pretty brain dead. Despite what Reddit says it doesn't take much skill to stay stealth and spam torpedoes. It's like arty in WoT only with arbitrary decisions by the carrier player or the target as your randomness gate rather than WGs RNG. If they change the line to raise the skill ceiling and drop the skill floor I'm all for it.

I don't think it's entirely brain dead. Sure at lower tiers you can have success with torpedo spam but higher tiers you get punished by the long reload if you make a mistake. At higher tiers too a lot of people have learned to not sail in straight lines and to vary speed and course so successful torpedo attacks then depend on your ability to successfully predict your prey's movements. It's not always easy to do. Plus if you run into a US DD and get spotted it can be challenging to escape.

With that being said I'm all for giving IJN DDs more utility because as Bathoz pointed out it can be pretty boring spending 1:30 between launches sailing around to reposition for a fresh attack. Having somewhat usable guns could make them a bit more interesting and flexible which I'm all for.

As it stands now the US destroyer line has the most tactical flexibility because they have good enough attributes across the board to make them VERY adaptable to different situations.

Sail around at 13k from target. Drop torps every 90 seconds. Roll dice to see if your torpedoes annihilate someone or get spotted and do nothing. Die once you get spotted.

Sounds like a "fun and interesting" mechanic from WoT. 

8 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Sail around at 13k from target. Drop torps every 90 seconds. Roll dice to see if your torpedoes annihilate someone or get spotted and do nothing. Die once you get spotted.

Sounds like a "fun and interesting" mechanic from WoT. 

I could say something similar about BBs chai sniping from the J line but that doesn't make BBs themselves trash. I happen to play IJN DDs a little more aggressively. That involves more planning then 'hur dur I spam torps every 90 seconds and then hide.' I think it's fine that you don't like IJN destroyer game play and I think you're 100% correct in calling out the bad players that never use their guns or just sail around uselessly spamming torps at the aim indicator. But I think you're being unfair saying it's totally brain dead e-z mode. It definitely doesn't sound like your cup of tea, which is totally understandable. I happen to hate driving CVs. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate good CV players that make solid contributions to the game.

21 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

I could say something similar about BBs chai sniping from the J line but that doesn't make BBs themselves trash. I happen to play IJN DDs a little more aggressively. That involves more planning then 'hur dur I spam torps every 90 seconds and then hide.' I think it's fine that you don't like IJN destroyer game play and I think you're 100% correct in calling out the bad players that never use their guns or just sail around uselessly spamming torps at the aim indicator. But I think you're being unfair saying it's totally brain dead e-z mode. It definitely doesn't sound like your cup of tea, which is totally understandable. I happen to hate driving CVs. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate good CV players that make solid contributions to the game.

It was brain-dead ezmode until the changes a few months back.  Good players have always moved up and dropped torpedoes from as close as possible, but the fact is, torpedo-boats have been extremely bi-polar and difficult to balance properly.  Depending on torpedo range and visibility, they've always been either too good and swamp the queues, or disappointingly-mediocre and difficult for average or bad players to enjoy.  It's probably best for the long-term if they eliminate "pure torpedo-boat" as a thing and make all of them gunboats or hybrids of a sort.  There will still be fun moments of stalking ships and setting up good torpedo drops, as we can see in the US destroyer line, but having that define an entire tech tree makes them too boom-or-bust.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:56 PM, OnboardG1 said:

currently playing through the Mutsuki and holy balls is it ever boring... sail around waiting for torps to load, launch and pray they hit something. A good game is cappiing out one point on nailing a (braindead) BB from full HP... thats it.

Just saw the recent youtube vid on aggressive Shima by flamu and those flat arc high alpha guns, coupled with good stealth, seemed very fun.

If that kind of DD play is going to be encouraged with this line overhaul into "universal" DD, then I might just grind IJN DD line.

1 hour ago, Mesrith said:

It was brain-dead ezmode until the changes a few months back.  Good players have always moved up and dropped torpedoes from as close as possible, but the fact is, torpedo-boats have been extremely bi-polar and difficult to balance properly.  Depending on torpedo range and visibility, they've always been either too good and swamp the queues, or disappointingly-mediocre and difficult for average or bad players to enjoy.  It's probably best for the long-term if they eliminate "pure torpedo-boat" as a thing and make all of them gunboats or hybrids of a sort.  There will still be fun moments of stalking ships and setting up good torpedo drops, as we can see in the US destroyer line, but having that define an entire tech tree makes them too boom-or-bust.

I'm all for moving the IJN DD line closer to being a hybrid as opposed to mainly torpedo boats because as you point out in the current meta they are boom or bust. (One of the things I like about the Fubuki is it has actual usable guns.) Though one of the things that's kind of funny in the current meta is a lot of ships don't know how to react when you use guns. They're totally prepared for torpedoes. One of the things I've seen in the Kagero is battleships dodging most of my torps but getting their turrets facing the wrong way. So if they've used damage control on the flood I wait a little bit then try to set fires before they can bring their guns back on target. Usually by the time that happens they have a fire or two and I've re-stealthed. Granted it doesn't necessarily do tons of damage but it can be pretty annoying and distracting which can create openings for savvy teammates to exploit.

1 hour ago, Crossfader said:

currently playing through the Mutsuki and holy balls is it ever boring... sail around waiting for torps to load, launch and pray they hit something. A good game is cappiing out one point on nailing a (braindead) BB from full HP... thats it.

I didn't enjoy the mutsuki or hatsuharu either. But the Fubuki is fun because it's less of a one trick pony and has usable guns and a pretty flexible torpedo layout.  

5 minutes ago, CompanionCav said:

Just saw the recent youtube vid on aggressive Shima by flamu and those flat arc high alpha guns, coupled with good stealth, seemed very fun.

If that kind of DD play is going to be encouraged with this line overhaul into "universal" DD, then I might just grind IJN DD line.

Flamu has some great examples of how to use the IJN gun systems intelligently to troll other DD players. Someday I hope to be as proficient! :) 

Any of the Warship pros run down the alt. Japanese DD line? After watching Aerroon fawning over the Shiratsuyu every few videos, I thought I would start down the list. The 16 torpedo skill-wall at tier 7 is definitely a fun looking gimmick.

Problem is I have to re-buy Minekaze and start at tier 5. Did it yesterday with spare cash from selling all my useless junk and played a few games. Kamikaze premium has left it in the dust though- Minekaze torps are about 10 knots slower.  Only consistent play I get out of it, especially at tier 7 is fast capping and then sending a torpedo swarm towards anything that tries to move into cap. 

Hatsu was standard mode IJN old school DD for me - but I did notice the guns seemed to hit harder and more accurately.  I am 80% through the Shiratsuyu grind to the Akizuki and while the 16 torp soup is fun, the surprise again is the accuracy and hard hitting nature of the guns.  The tier 8 with it's 100mm guns is saved by IFHE from the videos I have watched - but I will also keep the Shiratsuyu - it's more of an all arounder than it seems at first glance.

The only thing that hurts the shiratsuyu is it's slow reload. However that can be improved by BFT and adrenalin rush. Those skills can get the reload to about 6 seconds, 5.3 if you lose 99% of your HP. Turret traverse is also slow, but the tier two captain skill helps, I wouldn't take the module though since it hurts you reload.