Eggs_benedict_cumberbund

RImworld

4 hours ago, Shackram said:

Have it and tried it, but would rather play dwarf fortress.

Oh, why?

9 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Oh, why?

I find it pretty shallow and dumbed down compared to DF.

You have many less choices for production, crafting and building. You only have a handful of people, who are less mentally stable than your dozens of dwarves so you have to babysit and micromanage them all the time. Instead of a huge, living world going on alongside your fort, you only have an AI throwing shit at you either randomly or at a steady pace depending on which one you choose.

That last bit is really what puts me off. I like the game - it's super accessible, surprisingly difficult, and has a really neat setting & theme - but the most striking thing to me is how dead the world feels outside of your little outpost. There's nothing going on, it's just a handful of random events on a timer. Despite the stone-age visuals and garbage UI, Dwarf Fortress manages to immerse me enough that I can buy the illusion that my fortress is in a living, breathing world. Rimworld doesn't do this, I just feel like my little square on the map is the entire world (and honestly nothing is happening here either)!

It's enjoyable for a while and I am still really enamored by the space cowboy setting (something I can't say about DF's generic fantasy setting), but this isn't a game I am going to sit down and play for hours. It's too dry for that.

Rimworld is a pretty good game (supported it the first moment it was possible)... but only if you didn't learn or can't stomach DF. DF actually killed the entire genre (and a bit more) for me. Just like a few other free ASCII indies that rely on gameplay and not on graphics.

I still play RW every update, adding a few mods that improve the basic gameplay. I enjoy it for a couple of hours... but at some point you are just waiting for research and enough materials to build the ship. I kinda miss the !!FUN!! and endless capabilities from DF.

Came to talk about Dwarf Fortress, but everyone beat me to it. Once you've put in the effort to get over DF's learning curve, Rimworld is a step back in a lot of ways. If Rimworld ever got multiple z-levels it would definitely be a better contender.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Prison Architect yet. It's got almost the same art style (Rimworld dev asked Prison Architect dev's permission), and imo a more interesting setting/theme for a base builder. Having all of the danger inside the fort instead of outside is a nice twist. Rimworld has some pretty strong competition to stand up to.

58 minutes ago, HabNab said:

Came to talk about Dwarf Fortress, but everyone beat me to it. Once you've put in the effort to get over DF's learning curve, Rimworld is a step back in a lot of ways. If Rimworld ever got multiple z-levels it would definitely be a better contender.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Prison Architect yet. It's got almost the same art style (Rimworld dev asked Prison Architect dev's permission), and imo a more interesting setting/theme for a base builder. Having all of the danger inside the fort instead of outside is a nice twist. Rimworld has some pretty strong competition to stand up to.

Z-levels will never happen, the deep mining what we got last update is about as far as Tynan wants. I don't really think the game would benefit from it either tbh, deep mining was a great addition for that final push though.

I don't think PA fits in the same category, it is more related to Theme Hospital than DF. More of a sim than a colony game. Also been playing that since the early alpha's, need to revisit it now that they finalised all the content with 2.0.

Another indie game I backed (and sadly is developing very slowly) is stonehearth. That is much more comparable to DF, but the focus is more on building cool looking towns.

Konis1-848x445.png

2 hours ago, Epic said:

Z-levels will never happen, the deep mining what we got last update is about as far as Tynan wants. I don't really think the game would benefit from it either tbh, deep mining was a great addition for that final push though.

I don't think PA fits in the same category, it is more related to Theme Hospital than DF. More of a sim than a colony game. Also been playing that since the early alpha's, need to revisit it now that they finalised all the content with 2.0.

Another indie game I backed (and sadly is developing very slowly) is stonehearth. That is much more comparable to DF, but the focus is more on building cool looking towns.

Konis1-848x445.png

i wanted to back stonehearth, but had no money... and I'm about to buy a new laptop... so still have no money

18 hours ago, Eggs_benedict_cumberbund said:

Which DF you guys talking about. About 10,000 on steam 

It's not on steam and it's free. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

I recommend LNP if you decide to try http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0