How_Terrible

New ranked season begins in October

From Pigeon_of_War:

Be prepared to Rank Battles season 5!

Rank Battles are coming back and we want every player to meet a new season up in arms. Here you can find the very first piece of information that is intended to provide you with an opportunity to have enough time to upgrade one of required ships or train a commander, if needed.

Mono-tier leagues

To provide totally equal conditions for all players and make battles more skill-based, every rank will be limited by the only ship tier allowed. Also, there will be more safe ranks for the beginners (up to rank 16), compare with the previous season.

Up to Rank 16: Tier VI ships only

Rank 15 – Rank 1: Tier VIII ships only

The season starts at the beginning of October – you still have enough time to prepare yourself!

One tier only stages should be a positive change, but I am sad that I won't get to try the Scharnhorst out in Ranked. Also, what do you guys think of the Bayern for the Tier VI portion?

I think the bigger questions are, are they changing top XP not losing stars and how many stars you need to get to Rank 1... last season had too many I thought. The single tier is a very nice change of pace. Regardless, time train those tier 8 captains!

I think my go to in 8 will be the NC, Tirpitz, and Atago. 

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Sigh. Time to grind to a tier 8 :/

For sure working up the GE BBs, but DDs thinking Benson?

Benson is definetely going to be the meta, Bismarck with secondary build+hydro will most likely be the best choice for a BB.

Other BBs are pretty competitive as well. Other than that Atago/Mogami, Kutuzov, Lo Yang, Fubuki. Maybe even Chapayev/NO for radar.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:09 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

For sure working up the GE BBs, but DDs thinking Benson?

Unless something significant changes in the next few months Benson will be a great choice for ranked play because of it's versatility. With that being said you would do well to be careful around Bismarcks rocking secondary builds because they will chew you up if you let them. And you're correct in that the Lo Yang might be a good alternative because it brings hydro to the table.

On ‎07‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 7:43 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

If the Lo Yang is available again soon I may pick that up, just cause Hydro as well

Given the hydros very short range (3.5km iirc) I do not find it very useful over the Benson considering the benson has more guns and more overall dpm.

I don't think the new IJN DDs will challenge the gun boat usefulness of the Benson anyways. I guess DD in ranked will still mean Benson. However the Benson is not for everyone (I hate it). Torps are somehwat sluggish with barely enough range and lowish damage. Guns are only effective short range. Ships isn't really fast. So I really ponder wether to try the Fubuki/Kagero (omg I would kill for a prem Fubuki to use my Shima captain).

Mind though that I only play to rank 10 where players are still somewhat bad and ship selection isn't the end all be all as it is in rank 5 and lower.

How does one get involved in these organized battles? I did a little google-fu and just found WG press releases on old seasons but it isn't very clear. I assume when a new season begins the mode will unlock for solo-queue only? Or do players form teams and take their pre-made team into the ranked mode against other teams?

49 minutes ago, andepans said:

How does one get involved in these organized battles? I did a little google-fu and just found WG press releases on old seasons but it isn't very clear. I assume when a new season begins the mode will unlock for solo-queue only? Or do players form teams and take their pre-made team into the ranked mode against other teams?

The next ranked season is expected to start in February. While ranked is a more competitive game mode, it is still a solo queue open to everyone. You can't even division in ranked. Most people put in a good effort to win, but you can get people who have no concept of teamwork.

For a brief time in 2016 WG created a Team Battle mode which allowed you to compete in 7v7 battles against other teams.You could have up to ten friends on a team, but only seven could play in a given battle. You could also go into battle with as little as 4 people from your team, and the remaining spots could be filled by other friends not on your team or someone from the solo queue. Teams received an ELO like rating which was used to sort teams into different divisions. When there were few teams in queue it was possible to be matched against teams from different divisions. Team battles only lasted one season, and it needed some tweaking to improve the game experience, but I think most people enjoyed it more than ranked battles. You could be on three teams at one time. Rumor is that team battles will eventually return with the introductions of clans. Maybe something similar to stronghold battles in WOT.