Jump to content
NightmareMk9

Overpriced Crap

Recommended Posts

All the bitching about the iPhone price made me think of other overpriced crap that we/I buy.  I only paid about $350 for the iPhone 6 Plus (64 GB), so I don't count that as overpriced.

I did buy a Yamaha Soundbar for my TV that gets used about 2x a year.  So dropping about $1000 on that was probably a dumb idea.

Then I saw an ad for this Sony Speaker.

Bluetooth Speaker and an LED light.  $800  Who the fuk would spend $800 for this?

http://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers/lspx-s1

Sony_zpstpcha2ny.jpg~original

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Sony as a brand. I have their Xperia Z5 Premium phone, the PS4, Vita, Xperia Z4 Tablet and I'm really happy with all of it.

But NEVER buy a speaker/hi-fi/soundbar from them. I got one for christmas in 2014, 1 year warranty and it broke a few months after that expired. Completely bricked and they wanted to charge £46 just to look at repairing it. God knows what they would charge for the actual repair. I checked online and the model I had is not even on sale anymore. They probably knew it was fucked but didn't want to recall. My dad had a Sony Hifi which one day just died, like my soundbar.

Recently got a Panasonic soundbar to replace it and it has much better audio quality despite being around the same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logitech G700. Shitty mouse, one broke, one i throw into wall, one replaced. 100eur of pure shit with even shittery ergonomy.

RAM coolers, i don't know where my head was, but 10eur per piece it's to damn expensive for bit of metal that does nothing. Shit.

Not technology related, but Adidas SpringBlade, first model when they came into Croatia. They start disintegrate (literally) after few days. Shitty sneakers for 250eur. 

Maybe some other things but i need to think about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anything made by apple is a 100% guarantee to be overpriced and shit. 

technically a lot of smartphones are also over priced. 

car repairs for some brands (the fuel gauge on my mums 2010 ford Mondeo broke, and is going to cost $1600 to fix. fucking 1600. for a fuel gauge.)

PC parts in NZ.

a lot of different software items, mainly antiviruses. 

jewellery - hear me out. my girlfriend has dragged me into several jewellery shops, and been like "ooh look at this pretty thing" and the price tag? $5000. and im like WTF??? because, in so many different cases, you can get something similar made out of glass, which unless you really look, is virtually indistinguishable from a fucking diamond, especially at a distance, and costs $25 instead. 

sure it won't last as long as a diamond, but when it wears out, you buy another one. and guess what? you're still $4950 in the green. 

I can guarantee that if some celebrity went to a massive show or whatever wearing what looks like millions of dollars worth of expensive ass jewellery, but is actually just glass stuff, and no one would know the difference.

 

/jewellery rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, avandelay said:

 Sony sucks. It will sound like shit and break a day after the warranty ends. Really fuck Sony and all of their shit products. How's that for a review.

My Xperia Z1 Compact's warranty was a year, and my phone easily lasted past that, and it could have gone for 3 years if I didn't lose it :feelsbad:

But even I have to admit that Sony's stuff is a bit overpriced. I guess that's the price for buying "premium" products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding sound quality in general I'd go with Bose altogether, their audio technology really makes them prepared for future sound formats as well. Mine's lasted for 5 years and still can blow the roof off of the apartment complex without losing quality over it. I was sold the second I tried them and everything else has just paled in comparison for me. 

Then again it's by far a more expensive brand than Panasonic so my input here might be useless :doge: 

Headphone-wise Sennheiser takes it all home even regarding prices for that kind of quality. 

 

 

7 minutes ago, Politx_Killer said:

Anything imported to Straya (Australia for you non bogans) 

Beer (fkn unaustralian) and cigarettes (ciggies are 1$ a smoke atm)

 

 

I pay around 0.5 euros per smoke so it's not a huge difference, but Sweden's got taxraises on them constantly so five years ago it was about 0.3 euros per smoke :feelsbad: 

 

I'm a happy Apple user. Always been. Logic>FL studios for me personally so that's the main reason I went with having a MacBook. I got the phone as well and it just all worked so well together that I kept using Apple products, besides from screens breaking (which is because of my sloppiness completely) I've never had problems. I don't have the need for customization at all so I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm probably upgrading to the iPhone 7 (+ is just way too big for my hand) and because of my contract with my provider it's going to be an extra 10 euros per month for it from what I currently pay so I don't see the hate. Who buys a phone cash now anyway? :kjugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

:kappaross:

 

@Assassin7 what school you finished? (i mean what degree and field). Thanks

Why?

Finished high school, first year in an electrical engineering course (going into PC hardware/networking specialty, hopefully)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

I saw you don't understand some economics concepts and effects, so i was interested. Thanks. 

If you're referring to the PC parts, i understand perfectly. But i can still bitch about it.

 

The car repairs, sort of but sort of not. 

The software, not a clue. 

The jewellery, i understand why they are expensive, but expensive gemstones wasn't what I was arguing about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Assassin7 He's probably referring to your words "anything made by apple is a 100% guarantee to be overpriced and shit"

Apple is indeed over-priced but generally their hardware is pretty solid, not particularly shitty and generally designed to be simple enough for a cave man from 35k BCE to use.

Which is probably why @BlackAdder said you don't understand economics because Apples products are popular in part for the reasons above but also simply because their overpriced nature makes them more desirable to a large number of people for whom value is derived from the amount you spend on something as opposed to a less shallow definition of the word value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Razer Mamba TE mouse.Srsly I paid 125$ for that POS and ended up switching back to the deathadder 2013 anyway.But sensor on the DA starting messing up after 2 years so yesterday I went out and bought the DA chroma.Other useless overpriced items I have are: Logitech G27 steering wheel(which I haven't even touched in 6 months) and the MADCATZ CYBORG F.L.Y 5 joystick which I bought when I used to play War Thunder like 3 years ago but that also broke after 2 weeks of use.Fortunately I tend to do a lot of research before buying a phone or computer components so I'm good there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dropped $1500 for new subs in my car that broke 3 days later

GTX 970 when you'd use 3.6 of 3.5gb 

Buying a 2015 V8 Camaro at 20 years old; I dont regret it, but I could've definitely used the money for something more sensible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, _Assad said:

I dropped $1500 for new subs in my car that broke 3 days later

RIP in pepperoni.That sounds rough dude.Were you able to get them fixed or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OOPMan said:

@Assassin7 He's probably referring to your words "anything made by apple is a 100% guarantee to be overpriced and shit"

Apple is indeed over-priced but generally their hardware is pretty solid, not particularly shitty and generally designed to be simple enough for a cave man from 35k BCE to use.

Which is probably why @BlackAdder said you don't understand economics because Apples products are popular in part for the reasons above but also simply because their overpriced nature makes them more desirable to a large number of people for whom value is derived from the amount you spend on something as opposed to a less shallow definition of the word value.

Thats not value though, its a waste of money. You're paying what in a lot of cases is up to a 50% premium simply to have an apple logo on the back of the computer. I actually checked that a few months ago, I got the price of Apples nost expensive iMac (4200 or something like that) and I matched the specs best I could for a PC build - which included a 4K display (to match apples retina display) for something like 2700.

The apple OS isn't worth an extra $1500. 

 

Apple is the biggest example of ripoffs you can see today but people still buy this shit because they think its better or "premium" or whatever the fuck. 

 

And while you get better support for other apple devices, you get no support for anything else. Much less software support, and anything that is supported is likely more expensive than it would be for windows. 

 

Along with this, while people say Macs are better at design or whatever, I used a Mac a couple years ago for a Digital design course (photoshop/illustrator etc), the next year they switched them out for PCs (because the macs didnt work on the schools network, and were tempremental and expensive) these PCs had comparibly worse specs than the macs they replaced (first gen i5, 4GB RAM, cant remember GPU, low end quattro i think, K420?, compared to a 3rd gen i5, 8GB RAM and a GT740 I think it was)

And these PCs performed WAY better. The Macs froze every time i tried to select a brush or change the brush size, and took ages to render effects. No such problems on the PCs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Assassin7 said:

Thats not value though, its a waste of money.

For sure, it's not your idea of value or my idea of value. But for some superficial, shallow people a certain logo or brand is their idea of value.

These people tend to be non-technical (although there is a disturbing trend among programmers who are too lazy or "hip" to properly understand how to run Linux to buy Macs, something which horrifies me no end) and they don't make a value judgement based on a list of facts and numbers like your or I but rather based on the image of the brand/logo in question and what being a member of that particular brand's loyalty cult does for their image with other people who give a shit about that kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Assassin7

i have to agree but also disagree

ill admit over the years apples products have increased dramatically in price, but i don't think their products are shit by any means. i own a Mac for college work and its great in terms of performance, and apples products are good in the performance department (especially their Chips). Now with these new i phones and Especially those damned headphones i admit the price isn't ideal(160$ for some headphones that small and no string to keep them from easily falling to the ground). But all i can say about the matter is that eventually people will wake up and realize they very much so can buy similar or even better products for less, and at that point Apple will have no choice but to lower their respective prices to keep up competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assasin is to ignorant.

Comparing custom built PC to 5K retina AIO Mac is useless.

With Apple you get whole package and you can only compare Dell, HP, Lenovo or any other brand with Apple.

I'm working now so i can search the web and make comparison. But I'll tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robosapieo said:

RIP in pepperoni.That sounds rough dude.Were you able to get them fixed or something?

Yeah, but the process to install them took too much time imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

Assasin is to ignorant.

Comparing custom built PC to 5K retina AIO Mac is useless.

With Apple you get whole package and you can only compare Dell, HP, Lenovo or any other brand with Apple.

I'm working now so i can search the web and make comparison. But I'll tomorrow.

I am not ignorant. I look at what i get for what i pay for and then use common sense to make a logical analogy of what value im getting.

Heres the most expensive iMac: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKAAPP4720144/Apple-27-iMac-CTO-5K-DisplayIntel-Quad---i7-4.0GHz

You get a quad core i7 (my guess is a 4790 based on its listed clock speed), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and an R9 390M alomg with a 27" screen using apples retina display (which i admit is pretty good)

That costs $4100 NZL.

After literally a superfast search, heres the closest PC to that price from a proper PC brand: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKSHDT3084766/HP-Z440-Mini-tower-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-E5-2620-

You get, for slightly less than that iMac, an Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and an Nvidia Quaddro K22000, along with a 256GB SSD.

 

You tell me which is the better value.

When Im not on my phone and can search properly ill find some better comparisons.

 

The way i look at it, is what will this product give me in return that justifies the higher price?

The apple has 2 things: first, the Apple OS. (Which I dont like) and second: the retina display (which while it looks good I dont really care about)

 

On the flip side, what would a PC of the same price give me?

Much better performance

Much better compatability and support for software

Expandability and upgradability

An OS i like

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM, NightmareMk9 said:

All the bitching about the iPhone price made me think of other overpriced crap that we/I buy.  I only paid about $350 for the iPhone 6 Plus (64 GB), so I don't count that as overpriced.

I did buy a Yamaha Soundbar for my TV that gets used about 2x a year.  So dropping about $1000 on that was probably a dumb idea.

Then I saw an ad for this Sony Speaker.

Bluetooth Speaker and an LED light.  $800  Who the fuk would spend $800 for this?

http://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers/lspx-s1

Sony_zpstpcha2ny.jpg~original

Obviously stoned chicks walking on the beach at sunset are the kind of people who would buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Assassin7 said:

I am not ignorant. I look at what i get for what i pay for and then use common sense to make a logical analogy of what value im getting.

Heres the most expensive iMac: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKAAPP4720144/Apple-27-iMac-CTO-5K-DisplayIntel-Quad---i7-4.0GHz

You get a quad core i7 (my guess is a 4790 based on its listed clock speed), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and an R9 390M alomg with a 27" screen using apples retina display (which i admit is pretty good)

That costs $4100 NZL.

After literally a superfast search, heres the closest PC to that price from a proper PC brand: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKSHDT3084766/HP-Z440-Mini-tower-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-E5-2620-

You get, for slightly less than that iMac, an Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and an Nvidia Quaddro K22000, along with a 256GB SSD.

 

You tell me which is the better value.

When Im not on my phone and can search properly ill find some better comparisons.

 

The way i look at it, is what will this product give me in return that justifies the higher price?

The apple has 2 things: first, the Apple OS. (Which I dont like) and second: the retina display (which while it looks good I dont really care about)

 

On the flip side, what would a PC of the same price give me?

Much better performance

Much better compatability and support for software

Expandability and upgradability

An OS i like

 

Again you doing it wrong. You have to compare OEM, lik HP with similar or identical configuration. 

What you get with iMac.

- hardware

- software

- R&D (puting all together, engineering, software supporting)

- brand

And then you use similar PC brand and compare.

 

Ofc you pay less for custom PC, but you don't get brand, support and R&D like you get with Dell, HP or Apple.

 

And you got take into consideration many people don't know shit about AMD, Intel, DDR3, 5K, retina... They want functional computer with zero knowledge, and they just go for brand.

 

It's like fixing bmw at home, if you have knowledge you can service car way cheaper, but if you don't have skills you just drive it to dealer and pay premium.

 

Also Apple is one of the richest companies in the world, don't you think they knwo how to do business? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...