DirtyACE7

The right mentality

Question

Hello to all purple posters!

I'm in need of your guys' wisdom.

Recently I've been having some serious issues with my mental approach to the battles. I feel like I'm totally lost even when I think I've made good evaluations of opponents composition and where I need to go in relation to the rest of my team. The last few days I've been totally up and down my performances. One day I will be at 2500WN8, the next I'll be at 1700WN8, then the next I'll be at 2700WN8, and following that will be a 1300WN8 day. And all this on one specific tank. I'm going through the Soviet medium line and am currently on the T-44. When I was on T-43 everything was just great. I was consistently pulling games above 3000WN8 and above 60% WR, then I got to T-44 and everything just went down the toilet. And it's not like I haven't played anything at tier 8 and above. I have played many games on tier 8 and 9 and have done great in most but this time something is seriously off. I cant even get above 50% WR with the T-44. However, my biggest gripe is that somehow my mental approach to the game has changed since I've arrived at this tank. I feel lost in most games even though I know what I should be doing. I can barely get 2 shots worth of damage and then I die. And I'm not overextending or hanging to far back, I keep up with my team and try to support but I feel like I'm not playing just to play.

How do you guys approach playing WoT? What advice on the mental aspect of the game can you give me?

11 answers to this question

Stay positive.

Know that shit can happen if you do everything right.

But always look for improvement even if you do great and win.

Be confident in your skills, but also cautious of your opponent.

2 hours ago, CarbonWard said:

Stay positive.

Know that shit can happen if you do everything right.

But always look for improvement even if you do great and win.

Be confident in your skills, but also cautious of your opponent.

Hi Carbon,

Thanks for the tips!

What would you say is the biggest thing mentally that has helped you? Is it really just staying positive or is there more?

Don't play if:

- tired

- in a (very) bad mood

- stressed/got time only for 1-2 games max

- played to long already without any longer breaks

If you focus on a specific tank in your sessions, it helps a lot to watch couple of vids/replays to see how better players are playing it before jumping into the battle yourself.

As for your t-44:

Watch couple of your own bad/great games closely once in a while before you start your wot session, just to see, whether you can spot anything you could have done better and maybe share few of those on tape study for review.

From what I can quickly see on your wotlabs stats page, your spots/game in t-44 and even in tanks like m46/m48 are very very damn low indicating you might have wrong equipment and/or wrong campy play style not suited to carry your games in [fast] mediums.

Take optics+stab+rammer on your t-44 and 100mm gun with highest pen not 122mm one, post your crew/modules/setup, so you get hints, what you can improve. Read this about crew skills.

Carry enough APCR to not be totally useless in t9-10 games. 

Focus on improving your map knowledge, where its good/safe to go for initial spotting/free dmg farm. How and when can you flank. I'd recommend you to watch Yung_xD (previously Kolni) stream/youtube/wotlabs thread, he is playing a lot of fast meds recently and has pretty aggressive play style, taking a lot of front line positions, and abusing camo/vision/bushes a lot wherever its possible, so watch his stream/wotlabs replays/youtube channel, to pick up some of better map spots and get better idea how to play a fast medium. 

On 11/09/2016 at 5:06 AM, BPX said:

pop a few adderall like carbon and your mental worries will be gone 

And I thought business is going well and the man can afford to hit some lines

On 9/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, BPX said:

pop a few adderall like carbon and your mental worries will be gone 

I shit you not that I actually do this before playing with the super serious WGL people

:feelsbad:

I'm in the same boat as you mate. Some days i'll be able to play hours upon no end but some i'll most likely play one game and i'm done. 

My personal best recommendation is just to stop playing when you're not having fun. It's a game and if you're not enjoying it just take a break. I tend to have a hour break or so if I keep messing up or if arta hits me in a place where I should be arty safe for all my HP. 

I honestly think this game is very very stressful, i've played CSGO all the way up to GE level and never did I get as pissed off as I do in WoT.

Remember, it's a game. If you're not enjoying it just stop, take a break and come back to it.

On 9/12/2016 at 6:00 AM, lazydot said:

Don't played if:

- tired

- in a (very) bad mood

- stressed/got time only for 1-2 games max

- played to long already without any longer breaks

If you focus on a specific tank in your sessions, it helps a lot to watch couple of vids/replays to see, how better players are playing it before jumping into the battle yourself.

As for your t-44:

Watch couple of your own bad/great games closely once in a while before you start your wot session, just to see, whether you can spot anything you could have done better and maybe share few of those on tape study for review.

From what I can quickly see on your wotlabs stats page, your spots/game in t-44 and even in tanks like m46/m48 are very very damn low indicating you might have wrong equipment and/or wrong campy play style not suited to carry your games in [fast] mediums.

Take optics+stab+rammer on your t-44 and 100mm gun with highest pen not 122mm one, post your crew/modules/setup, so you get hints, what you can improve. Read this about crew skills.

Carry enough APCR to not be totally useless in t9-10 games. 

Focus on improving your map knowledge, where its good/safe to go for initial spotting/free dmg farm. How and when can you flank. I'd recommend you to watch Yung_xD (previously Kolni) stream/youtube/wotlabs thread, he is playing a lot of fast meds recently and has pretty aggressive play style, taking a lot of front line positions, and abusing camo/vision/bushes a lot wherever its possible, so watch his stream/wotlabs replays/youtube channel, to pick up some of better map spots and get better idea how to play a fast medium. 

Hey @lazydot!

Thanks for your advice.

I always watch replays and especially those of really good players and usually just before I play myself as it kind of gets me pumped up and also puts me in a better state of mind. I'll give Kolni's stream a shot and see if it works for me. I say this because watching certain good players just hasn't done much for me, like their play style just didn't resonate with me, but I will give Kolni a shot.

Now for my T-44:

I'm currently using Rammer, Vertical stabilizer, and Vents on mine. I did have Optics before though but found the gun handling to be just so meh so I went with Vents instead. Also my crew has BIA so coupled with Vents it gives a nice bonus. However, my view range currently is 396m as none of my crew have their vision skills/perks yet and that probably explains why I have little assist/spotting damage. I'm always trying to get to good positions early quickly to get that early damage but sometimes it doesn't happen but I'm now thinking of going back to Optics just for the time being until my crew has at least Situational Awareness. And btw, I do use the top 100mm gun as I know the 122mm is garbage.

I never thought of my style as campy. I don't have a particular style as I simply try to approach each battle based on what I'm seeing happening. If I think a situation calls for aggressiveness then that's what I'll try but if it calls for a more conservative approach, then that's what I go with until I think that situation has changed and it's time to alter plans. I just try to adapt to what I see. I don't just have one specific approach and sit back every match. I know that can be pretty counter-productive.

I have also read the article you have posted about crew skills before. It has been one of the sources I use to layout my crews.

I think the worst thing to do is focus on stats too much. Sure ,stats have a certain value like getting into good clans but the focus on stats can easily become a handicap and make you tilt. Also it stops you from trying things out.

As for your T-44: I would go back to optics until your crew is a bit better. <400m viewrange is just too ghetto to be viable. Or at least throw in food to boost it a bit more.

6 hours ago, Gharirey said:

I think the worst thing to do is focus on stats too much. Sure ,stats have a certain value like getting into good clans but the focus on stats can easily become a handicap and make you tilt. Also it stops you from trying things out.

As for your T-44: I would go back to optics until your crew is a bit better. <400m viewrange is just too ghetto to be viable. Or at least throw in food to boost it a bit more.

Thanks @Gharirey! Oh yes! I know all too well what focusing on stats can do to one's game play. It's something that used to consume me more in the past and I've been working hard on not focusing on them when I play, however, it is difficult sometimes because it's the kind of person I am. I want and need to have a way to measure my progress. It's not about getting into a top clan for me. At least it is not something I'm concerned with right now, however, I want to know where I stand within the WoT world and slowly but gradually I've been able to get a handle on being too preoccupied with stats and that has really helped me avoid tilting more often.

I've completed my T-44 grind. I did go back to optics and actually my game play started to turn around and I was able to raise my WR from just 40% to 52% by the time I was done. Now I'm on the T-54 and this tank just feels like a dream compared to the T-44 even though I was starting to become more and more comfortable with it.