leggasiini

Excelsior...appreciation thread?

I wasnt able to find a thread for this tank...so i made one. Bought it yesterday because i wanted to waste some of my gold to something, and it seemed most attractive from tier 5 prems that were avaivable. Have played only 2 games but so far it seems very decent, atleast when top tier.

What you think about it? I never hear someone even talking about it, lol

It was fine, decent speed, good frontal and rear armour, limited mm, the second best prem pen of the limited mm tier 5's. Then WG introduced the OI, making almost all of the limited mm tier 5's obsolete. Shame as I liked it for training heavy crews.

1 hour ago, Hokum15 said:

It was fine, decent speed, good frontal and rear armour, limited mm, the second best prem pen of the limited mm tier 5's. Then WG introduced the OI, making almost all of the limited mm tier 5's obsolete. Shame as I liked it for training heavy crews.

What's the best?

8 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

What's the best?

For Penetration? Churchill III 180mm pen with Prem, so it can at least pen a OI, but it's rubbish in many other ways.

The Excelsior is probably the most flexible with speed and 144mm Pen.

Excelsior is fast enough to play as medium or atleast as heavium, so what i will probably do when im bottom tier is to just avoid fighting O-Is and go with mediums.

I dont think O-I "ruined" it. O-I shits on every tier 5 HT tbh. Even the mighty O-I Exp is about as much gun fodder as Excelsior is for O-I, because O-I Exp. also cant pen O-I even with gold from front/rear. Excelsior can atlaest avoid fighting it, while Churchill III really cant (too slow for med flanks).

2 hours ago, hazzgar said:

What's the best?

Best is m4 improved cuase its improved'

No for real though, dont get a tier 5 prem, they are all garbage

I haven't played the Excelsior much, but I've found it to be surprisingly tough and decently mobile. The gun isn't great, but you can't have everything. Don't think I've played it more than once or twice since Japanese HT's were introduced though.

1 hour ago, zapyoug said:

This is pretty true. Even the pref MM ones are pretty out-classed these days. They used to have fairly useful armor, but the proliferation of high penetration guns and HE cannons at this tier has really made these tanks less effective.

As for the Excelsior, it is alright. The armor is effective only if the enemy doesn't press 2-2. The raw thickness of it makes this tank more effective than the T14 against HE shells. Otherwise give your hull some angle and hope the bad guys aren't slinging gold.

It is reasonably mobile and has great gun depression which means it can keep out of the line of fire fairly well (the best way to avoid taking damage).

The gun is mediocre - fairly poor gun handling but manageable. The 91 pen AP is pretty poor in a lot of situations but at least the APCR has 144 pen. I find myself having to switch to it pretty often.

3 hours ago, zapyoug said:

Best is m4 improved cuase its improved'

T-25 is a good tier5 prem.

Excelsior is alright, but I've also felt lately that the sheltered 5s just don't do it anymore. I feel a lot of it is the level of gold slinging which permeates the game now, most of the sheltered tanks have the same model of "strong armor, bad mobility, bad guns". So every one just shoots gold and negates the key characteristic, leaving you with nothing to work with. I remember when the T14 armor used to be legit, now you just 22 and plow through it every shot even when optimally angled.

I think it must be better on EU, because there is still billions of bright red polaks, frogs and kebabs in their KV-1/KV-1S/O-I Exp/whatever tier 5 heavy that refuse to fire gold and are really easy to outplay, right?

I got 3 aces in row with it today. Im liking it so far alot, its best when played as fat medium, not pure heavy :P 

2 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Excelsior is alright, but I've also felt lately that the sheltered 5s just don't do it anymore. I feel a lot of it is the level of gold slinging which permeates the game now, most of the sheltered tanks have the same model of "strong armor, bad mobility, bad guns". So every one just shoots gold and negates the key characteristic, leaving you with nothing to work with. I remember when the T14 armor used to be legit, now you just 22 and plow through it every shot even when optimally angled.

This is exactly the meta on the Asia server now, regardless of tier.

its got to the stage where gold is flung more often that silver, so if you've got a slow tank that relies on armour - RIP.

1 hour ago, leggasiini said:

I think it must be better on EU, because there is still billions of bright red polaks, frogs and kebabs in their KV-1/KV-1S/O-I Exp/whatever tier 5 heavy that refuse to fire gold and are really easy to outplay, right?

I got 3 aces in row with it today. Im liking it so far alot, its best when played as fat medium, not pure heavy :P 

:feelsbad:

----

With apcr only it's good

I freaking love this tank, it has seen every part of my transition from total scrub to slightly less scrub like, highlight of my wot career was 3 marking this beast simply because of how badly I drove it when I first started. Good speed, good amour, shitty pen but.....who cares about that when you can just press 2 when you meet the inevitable kv1. 

Panzer T-25 is pretty good, it's a generic medium with garbage bloom and turns like a boat.  Honestly I've never feared Excelsiors at all because 1. I'm in a tank that autopens it or 2. double tapped 2.

5 hours ago, Inciatus said:

KV220

Forgot about that. I wish i got one given how idiot proof it is (and given that trier 5 is only idiots it works great). 

It used to be good before the O-I and O-I exp, you run platoon of them and stomp an entire flank. Because of its sheltered MM there wasn't anything you can't deal with... until the Japanese heavies. Now you just run platoons of O-I-Exp instead.