D357R0Y3R

AMX CDC vs STA-2

Hello all, I am looking into getting either a CDC or a STA-2, i have done a fair bit of research, just interested in some opinions. I already have a FCM 50t, and enjoy it a lot.

CDC is sanic and has good pen, also accuracy is fantastic. It takes a good amount of skill to play properly and can't do high DPGs, but it is great for grinding credits. If you can play French heavies properly then it shouldn't be hard for you to adjust to this tank, even though I'd say it also shares a role similar to a batchat in sniping from long ranges, or like a 50 100. But it can't do any bullshit autoloading.

Mutz/Patton KR > cdc/STA.

STA is very similar to a pershing playstyle but without the mantlet or APCR advantage. 

CDC is seriously frustrating, bloom is terribad and lack of armour means when you get lit every man and his dog will stop what they are doing and shoot you.

The STA-2 is bearable, slow for a medium, not so well armored but at least you won't get penetrated by HE shell. Gun is reliable but premium round is HEAT. Makes good cash but if you're not planning to go the Japan line anytime soon, better off with other tank.

CDC is great as long as you're familiar with how games progress and where to actually go. The gun is terrible unless you sit still (then it's actually really nice) meaning you'll have to move up ahead accordingly to keep getting shots without having to constantly move. This might sound easy but it's actually really hard considering the tank is so vulnerable up close and moving around to bait shots completely ruin your ability to deal damage back.

You don't necessarily have to snipe all the time but getting damage is pretty hard without it. I usually only play very general areas in the CDC with long engagement ranges so I have more than enough to time to use my mobility to run away or move up. If you play the CDC correctly you'll see that you're going to have to run away a lot. It's just how the tank works. Overextend a little to get the most out of your shot opportunities and then run away once your opponents try to seize the opportunity of killing you. It's a combination of LT/TD gameplay more than MT gameplay IMO. 

STA-2 is more like a generic T10 medium at T8. The gun handling is one of the best in tier and the 270 something HEAT round really helps with angled armour and tier 10s. The DPM is also really good. It plays more like a typical US medium and while I really liked it, this tank is not exactly good at earning credits if you want to maximize DPG. HEAT spam is pretty much your only option of being really competitive (you can pen anything you can face frontally except an E3) combined with the gun handling is what makes the tank shine. The AP rounds are terrible. They're really cheap, but terrible. It's noteworthy that the gun handling on this tank is so good that you can run optics instead of vents and push max viewrange without any real damage loss. Bear in mind that WG wants to rebalance this tank (they stated that they would a few patches ago, but haven't done anything yet) where they significantly buff the AP pen, nerf the HEAT somewhat and completely rape the DPM making it a completely different tank. (Much better credit earner, much worse at winning and those two should even out in credit income anyway). I think they were going to increase the shell costs up by 400 per shell on the AP rounds as well though. 

STA-2 was my first T8 prem and I have to say I quite like it.The HEAT rounds as prem is a bit frustrating though.The shell velocity is also pretty bad and the cost of standard AP shells is higher than most other T8 prem meds which means you don't make as many creds for each damaging shot.But the awesome gun handling and troll turret armor against T6 and 7 tanks makes up for it

Yeah CDC is a turd wagon. It redefines what it means to have no armor. You're the size of a barn but somehow you're less armored than a barn. The gun handling is balls so you can't snap shot anything which means you have to sit there and aim with your unarmored barn. The only real way to be effective with it is draw range sniping and running like a bitch. I three marked the thing and barely play it anymore.

STA-2 is a pretty generic tier 8 medium. It moves well enough, the gun handling is solid, 212 pen AP means you don't have to shoot too much HEAT, and 10° gun depression lets you hide your soft armor pretty well. Pretty comfortable to play overall. No question the better choice over the CDC.

If I were actually paying money for something though, the Patton KR is significantly better than both. Mutz is also possibly better but I don't have many game in it.

9 hours ago, Kolni said:

CDC is great as long as you're familiar with how games progress and where to actually go. The gun is terrible unless you sit still (then it's actually really nice) meaning you'll have to move up ahead accordingly to keep getting shots without having to constantly move. This might sound easy but it's actually really hard considering the tank is so vulnerable up close and moving around to bait shots completely ruin your ability to deal damage back.

You don't necessarily have to snipe all the time but getting damage is pretty hard without it. I usually only play very general areas in the CDC with long engagement ranges so I have more than enough to time to use my mobility to run away or move up. If you play the CDC correctly you'll see that you're going to have to run away a lot. It's just how the tank works. Overextend a little to get the most out of your shot opportunities and then run away once your opponents try to seize the opportunity of killing you. It's a combination of LT/TD gameplay more than MT gameplay IMO. 

STA-2 is more like a generic T10 medium at T8. The gun handling is one of the best in tier and the 270 something HEAT round really helps with angled armour and tier 10s. The DPM is also really good. It plays more like a typical US medium and while I really liked it, this tank is not exactly good at earning credits if you want to maximize DPG. HEAT spam is pretty much your only option of being really competitive (you can pen anything you can face frontally except an E3) combined with the gun handling is what makes the tank shine. The AP rounds are terrible. They're really cheap, but terrible. It's noteworthy that the gun handling on this tank is so good that you can run optics instead of vents and push max viewrange without any real damage loss. Bear in mind that WG wants to rebalance this tank (they stated that they would a few patches ago, but haven't done anything yet) where they significantly buff the AP pen, nerf the HEAT somewhat and completely rape the DPM making it a completely different tank. (Much better credit earner, much worse at winning and those two should even out in credit income anyway). I think they were going to increase the shell costs up by 400 per shell on the AP rounds as well though. 

You know the AP got buffed to 212, right?

I don't have either tank, but I can get you a video of all the times I've had a full damage frontal HE pen on a CDC with a KV-2.  Trades well when top tier like a boss confirmed :kappaross:

22 hours ago, Kolni said:

I'm pretty sure they have done that update, the STA-2 now has a lot worse DP, but 212 pen.

As far as getting a tank, I got the CDC, and have 1,700 avg dmg in it, which is really good for me. I've aced it three times in 30 games.

also, thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

2 hours ago, garryallen said:

So Skorpion> mutz/kr> Sta-2> CDC??

7 hours ago, Raj said:

This.

yea, but I believe the Skorp is gonna get the nerf and i'm not made of money so...

if anyone feels like donating one ;)

55 minutes ago, D357R0Y3R said:

yea, but I believe the Skorp is gonna get the nerf and i'm not made of money so...

if anyone feels like donating one ;)

Murazor is the new head of the balance department, and the Skopion balancing was partially his work, therefor I don't think so.

I donated one for myself, that was enough charity for me.:happyfish:

1 hour ago, D357R0Y3R said:

WG's stated loud and clearly that direct nerfs or even nerfs in general on premiums will not happen. I can understand this as paying customers tend to go batshit crazy when something they bought just got worse because of something like game balance (people are retarded). This isn't in their best interest since WoT is actually starting to gain players again (at least on EU) and their priority has turned from cashgrabs to at least somewhat catering to the majority of the playerbase. Funny how it took them years to understand that micropurchases are way worse than catering to the people playing the game.

Just take a look back, WG had to nerf the Type 59 and that's pretty much the only direct nerf we've seen so far in a premium tank. Super Pershing got a really hard nerf but that was due to game mechanics changing and they actually offered everyone the gold equivalent in return. Looking at the SP now, they really made it work well and a perfectly fine T8SMM tank IMO. After this all the prems released were incredibly mediocre. Panther 88/T-54 Mod 1 (still my bae)/STA-2 and CDC are all pretty hard to play and reaaaaaaaaaaally bad in some regards. (P88 and Mod1 has serious pen issues, STA-2 had it's AP round issue but now it can't DPM as well anymore however, CDC has the bloom issue) simply because WG somehow remembered that premiums should in theory underperform compared to their standard counterpart and WGs premiums except the IS-6 up until now have pretty much been worse than their counterpart. Since the IS-3 got buffed the IS-6 obviously needed one too... 

IS-6 and Skorp should in reality be the only ones overperforming and that is an issue, and balancing them is going to be hard since there's A LOT of people owning an IS-6 and the Skorp G sale was popular too. 

All the prems in between these have been pretty good. M46 KR and Mutz are a bit too good to be premiums IMO but they fit perfectly into T8 and are only really good in good players hands anyway. (IS-6 and Skorp G are both kind of retard proof in a sense)

The amount of tier 10 games i see in my skorp these days is a big enough nerf

I swear it feels like a conspiracy.

1st week of skorpions, rolling around in tier 8/9 games, and now its predominantly tier 10 games.

Skorpion is miles above Mutz and M46 KR. It's also the most expensive, which kind of already indicates that.

But from others, I would pick M46 KR. The reasons are: Decent mobility, superb gun handling, good health pool, great turret traverse. Simply a superb ridge warrior as the snap shot capabilitites are so good.

Mutz is also good, but I feel the low health really limits its survivability... or maybe I just suck.

STA-2 is a bit too slow and generic now, making it a bit boring.

CDC has a huge "shoot me with HE and arty shells" sign painted on it. It's still better at the moment than STA-2, IMHO... and just more fun.

2 hours ago, Kolni said:

IS-6 and Skorp G are both kind of retard proof in a sense

IS-6 maybe, but you see a LOT of people on EU driving Skorpion so that they either yolo or sit in the back and play it like a regular TD.

Skorpion G is very good, but it's among the most punishing vehicles if you aren't careful. You get out spotted by pretty much everything.

12 minutes ago, TankkiPoju said:

Skorpion is miles above Mutz and M46 KR. It's also the most expensive, which kind of already indicates that.

But from others, I would pick M46 KR. The reasons are: Decent mobility, superb gun handling, good health pool, great turret traverse. Simply a superb ridge warrior as the snap shot capabilitites are so good.

Mutz is also good, but I feel the low health really limits its survivability... or maybe I just suck.

STA-2 is a bit too slow and generic now, making it a bit boring.

CDC has a huge "shoot me with HE and arty shells" sign painted on it. It's still better at the moment than STA-2, IMHO... and just more fun.

IS-6 maybe, but you see a LOT of people on EU driving Skorpion so that they either yolo or sit in the back and play it like a regular TD.

Skorpion G is very good, but it's among the most punishing vehicles if you aren't careful. You get out spotted by pretty much everything.

That's why I added "In a sense". Skorp is stupid good in pubbie hands that just camps and the situation of a push coming onto them applies. Add 311 APCR autopen and you have yourself something retard proof albeit not always effective