750-1250 dmg
3.66 splash radius

152.4 HIGH-EXPLOSIVE COMMON TYPE 4 HE

152.4 caliber
30-50 pen
975-1625 dmg
3.66 splash radius

OMG TYPE 5 SHALL RISE LIKE RISING SUN :disco:

With these megalomanic buffs coming for this tank, i would also expect that they plan to make sandbox changes less significant?

Why doesn't WG give it some kind of frontal weakspot? That's how they've balanced pretty much every other heavy in the game. Fighting the Type 4 and 5 from the front is just a check of whether or not your gold rounds have enough pen. Being completely immune to tier 8s is just creating the same problem that they canceled the VK 100 for, too strong against smaller things and too weak against things can can pen it. If they made say the axle areas weaker, the rest of the tank could be arbitrarily thick without it being broken.

That said it's nice to see they're giving it at least some attention after dropping the line on us and leaving it mostly unchanged for so long.

Ritard gamer has new stuff up:

- only upper front armor will be buffed to 270

- cheek armor gets buffed to 270

- gets new gun, which seem to be a derp gun. Gets two HE, with relatively low pen, the other one has higher damage

152.4 HIGH-EXPLOSIVE COMMON TYPE O HE

152.4 caliber
30-50 pen
750-1250 dmg
3.66 splash radius

152.4 HIGH-EXPLOSIVE COMMON TYPE 4 HE

152.4 caliber
30-50 pen
975-1625 dmg

3.66 splash radius

Caliber is...weird. I dont recall Japs having 152,4mm gun. Or did 15,5cm naval gun use that kind of shells?

No other stats are known.

I was already little hyped, but these made me scream like a little girl :P 

This is seriously a megabuff. Cheek armor becoming 270 is crazy. Now that its not paper it can actually sidescrape now. It has tougher turret, too. But it gets freaking derp gun now. Reason why tier 6 - 8 jap heavies are much better than tier 9 -10 is the derp guns. And unlike those, Type 5 actually doesnt have tits that limits its depression on front. So we can now only hope about the other stats on derp gun.

Im ready to say that these are enough to make the tank actually fucking amazing, atleast for those who like big boxes. It gets still shat on arty and gold sucks, but the armor still kinda gets megabuffed, along with the fact it gets derp gun!

I hope tbh that with this Maus gets gun buffs, perhaps JT's long 128 even...

5 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Caliber is...weird. I dont recall Japs having 152,4mm gun. Or did 15,5cm naval gun use that kind of shells?

152.4mm is the exact caliber for a 6in gun.  I believe that the russian 152's ingame are also this caliber.

1 minute ago, Tedster59 said:

152.4mm is the exact caliber for a 6in gun.  I believe that the russian 152's ingame are also this caliber.

Would it be this gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_6_inch_/40_naval_gun

I wonder if the Type 4 gets left behind or at least gets that gun as well, as it suffers from much the same issues as the Type 5 currently does, namely armor that can be penetrated by regular ammo of same-tiered vehicle with at least 50% chance and a gun selection between completely shit and slightly less shit.

9 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

I wonder if the Type 4 gets left behind or at least gets that gun as well, as it suffers from much the same issues as the Type 5 currently does, namely armor that can be penetrated by regular ammo of same-tiered vehicle with at least 50% chance and a gun selection between completely shit and slightly less shit.

If i were WG, i rather kept that gun as unique gun for Type 5. The onr problems of Type 5 is that it doesnt have anything "attractive". I think that they should implement similar armor buffs for Type 4, though.

31 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_cm/50_41st_Year_Type

"Our batturuships don't need these guns anymore? Put them on tanks!"

2 minutes ago, 1n_Soviet_Russia said:

my poor E100...

It wont make E100 obsolete. E100 is still alpha king, because it has those 750 alpha HEAT shells. Type 5's gun is derp gun that will do 400-550 at its target. Its oikely that it wont have AP or HEAT at all. E100 is also faster and noticeably smaller, and is still better sidescraper.

Im more afraid about Maus's situation. They should just give it JT's too gun at this point i guess.

1 hour ago, HabNab said:

Why doesn't WG give it some kind of frontal weakspot?

Shoulders? 

They are pretty weak with the angle. The whole front is HEAT weak, I really don't have a problem fighting Type4/5. 

26 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Shoulders? 

They are pretty weak with the angle. The whole front is HEAT weak, I really don't have a problem fighting Type4/5. 

Won't be a weakspot with the buff.

2 hours ago, leggasiini said:

thats tier 9...

So, seems like Type 5's little brother gets an armor buff, too?

----------

back to type 5 for now 

Now that cheek is 270 (as thick as front), there is now no reason to not angle, and sidescraping is viable. Against gold, would you rather have your entire front or small cheek? Ammorack being there ofc kinda sucks tho.