BiggieD61

WoWs Ranked Battles ships and meta: Season 5

In three days season 5 of ranked battles kicks off with some new changes that have been pretty well detailed elsewhere.  Many of the better players have said that for the tier 6 ranks, any ships you are competent in will do ( finishing Bayern grind and Warspite will do for me ).  The tougher choice will be in the tier 8 version, where there will no longer be the Nagato, Blyska or Sims dominating battles from season 4.  I have a handful of tier 8's available and suspect I will alternate between the Atago and Tirpitz for that portion - I haven't gotten the Benson yet and don't think dropping my Kagero Capt. back into the Fubuki is worth the creds and doubloons. 

I am interested in what our experienced players are looking to bring ( besides the Bismarck! ) into the tier 8 ranked battles this season.  Also, which ships do you consider the absolute dogs for ranked, the ones that will be an actual handicap to the team?

As I didn't play the last two seasons, I'm going to start from way back at rank 23 – so I'm more focused on the sixes to start.

Budyonny and Bayern (because I'm grinding them) foremost, potentially joined by Ognevoi. I have a suspicion that the Dunkerque will be damn good in tier 6 (low quality of play combined with no high tier ships to nuke it's armor).

Frankly, they hardly matter. But that's where I'm starting.

Tier 8 will be the premiums. Atago and Tirpitz, potentially joined by NC and Hipper.

Dunkerque will be a beast if played right since it can easily deal with cruisers, hurt spotted DDs, it can resist 14" shells head on and it's AP and HE can put some serious hurt on other BBs. That said I have my Dunkin Donut, my Farragut, and New Mexico so I'm set there. I only have my NC for t8 and the only reason I haven't sold it yet is for ranked right now

For tier 8 the Benson is going to be the dominate ship for DD's. The BB's are pretty well balanced and you could use any of them, but the Bismark has a slight edge due to its secondaries and hydro. With CA's the only viable option is the Atago due to its heal capability. Other CA's can get deleted quickly by the BB's, although I've never tried the radar ships yet so I guess they could be useful if it's a DD heavy meta.

I'll probably play the Fuso again for rank 6. I have an 83% wr in it from earlier seasons of ranked, and I should be able to maintain that. It's an easy ship to do well in. The Farragut and Warspite are the only other tier 6 ships I have, and I'll probably play a few games in them too, if I get sunk early in my Fuso.
I didn't play in the last two (or three?) seasons either, so I'll have to start at the bottom. Tier 6 ranked is fun though, so it's all good.

For Tier 8, I mostly played the North Carolina last time, and it did OK all the way up to rank 1, with a 60+% wr. Great for going bow-in and pushing.
I'm currently in love with the Bismarck, running a secondary build. Works well for pushing in randoms, and  will hopefully be amazing in ranked.
Close to grinding out the Amagi too, which seemed to do well for others, but I'm not sure how good it is at leading a push.

I tried the Hipper, but it didn't do it for me. I'm not overly fond of CA's as they currently stand anyway.

I will go Farragut for DD at T6, Benson at T8. BBs T6 would be Arizona with its upgraded armor and and 18.km range, or New Mexico. T8 North Carolina, Tirpitz, or maybe Amagi. I prefer the Tirpitz mobility and torps. Ca'S T6 Molotov or Cleveland. T8 Atago or Maybe MK. I prefer the Atago.

Cleveland for those few T6 battles, Benson and Amagi rest of the way, too poor to afford the Atago ATM :feelsbad:. I'm really hoping that the ARP Takao mission will come up.

Ideally I'd play Fuso, Bayern, Farragut, Budyonny, NC, Bismarck, Chapayev (steering gear mod 3 does wonders, Chapa was uber fun in the PT), Atago, Kutuvoz, maybe Lo Yang and Fubuki. There's just so many competitive ships at T8. Not sure about the New Orleans tho, haven't played it enough on PT to get a proper impression.

How would the Derpitz fare compared to the Bis? Hydro and 10.6km secondaries sound much more consistent than torp launchers.

Going to be using Farragut, Bayern, Fuso (thanks @OnboardG1) Molotov as T6.

Tier 8 Tirpitz, Atago, Fubuki with 12km torps (probably) and Bismark when I get it (close now).

Question: Use Fubuki 8km torps or 12km torps? As Ranked battles tend to be more defensive the 12km torps make more sense but I seem to get a lot more out of the boat with the 72knot 8km torps. What would you use?

6 hours ago, Krollin said:

Question: Use Fubuki 8km torps or 12km torps? As Ranked battles tend to be more defensive the 12km torps make more sense but I seem to get a lot more out of the boat with the 72knot 8km torps. What would you use?

I'm going to preface my comments by saying that 1) I am a weirdo. 2) my ranked experience is minimal.

In Random Battles I use the 15km torps with torp acceleration captain skill. I also use BFT AND AFT (heresy!) which increases the range and RoF of the main battery. I also run CE. What this means is my guns also have a 12km range and a band of about 3km or so to invisifire. So usually I will torp a target first, wait for damage control to run out and then try and set the target on fire. Sometimes I do the opposite where I try to get a couple fires going to force out damage control before torps hit so flooding will stick.  

I honestly don't know if this will work in a ranked setting or not. I am not above experimentation. ;) 

I'm about halfway through the Bismarck grind and will be using Ranked Battles to finish it. This Ship can easily stand up to Amagi and N. Carolina with its armor, still has the guns (though perhaps not quite the dispersion) to deal with cruisers more than well enough, and its secondaries combined with Hydroacoustic Search will punish destroyers that get too close and make dodging torpedoes all the more easy. I got to rank one last season playing nothing but the Sims so I'm excited to add some battleship gameplay to the mix this season.

I'm currently rolling with Atago if there are no carriers in queue, or Bismarck if there are.

EDIT:  Well, I was doing that.  There have been so many 3-4 battleship games that I've gone over to the Benson for now.  I'll just rotate these three ships based on what the team comps look like.

2 hours ago, Mesrith said:

I'm currently rolling with Atago if there are no carriers in queue, or Bismarck if there are.

EDIT:  Well, I was doing that.  There have been so many 3-4 battleship games that I've gone over to the Benson for now.  I'll just rotate these three ships based on what the team comps look like.

Are you taking target acquisition or concealment for your last upgrade? Trying to decide my self which will be the best for ranked. 

55 minutes ago, Crossfader said:

Chapayve seem pretty strong, Stealth fire vs BB and radar for DD's is a very strong combo

If you can avoid popping like an infected cyst, sure. Its a challenging play style though. I think it's still a BB and DD meta though.

3 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

If you can avoid popping like an infected cyst, sure. Its a challenging play style though. I think it's still a BB and DD meta though.

oh its disgusting how weak cruisers are compared to BB's at this tier... i dont care how much radar and defensive AA they have

1 hour ago, MntRunner said:

Are you taking target acquisition or concealment for your last upgrade? Trying to decide my self which will be the best for ranked. 

For which ship?  I use TAS for Bismarck, concealment for Benson and Atago.

1 hour ago, Crossfader said:

oh its disgusting how weak cruisers are compared to BB's at this tier... i dont care how much radar and defensive AA they have

Radar having a cooldown that's twice as fast as previously is very strong.  I think Chapy could struggle some at the higher ranks but it has the potential to stomp lower-rank destroyer players that just YOLO forward for the usual cap fight.

4 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Uh oh, doesn't sound encouraging. I partially got Atago way back for ranked with her, after reading the LWM thread about it. At least she's been useful for credits at this point.

4 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

For which ship?  I use TAS for Bismarck, concealment for Benson and Atago.

I was referring to the Bismarck. Thanks for your response though. I was leaning towards TAS since you want to get in close anyway so concealment should be less useful.