furrystrawberry

Arty-Free Playstyle

Question

6 answers to this question

I always find that getting spotted last in a group helps a lot since arty will focus whoever is first to get spotted not wasting time to get a shell out. 

On 10/4/2016 at 3:55 AM, furrystrawberry said:

How can I modify my general play style to hinder arty from shooting me? It is becoming much more of a problem as I move out of the 800 wn8 overall, mostly in what I think are tomato matches. I know many of you started out as purple, but you guys seem to get hit by arty less than me (from the replay packs I have watched). Yes, I know you can swerve and reposition after every shot, but sometimes even that doesn't work. What are you guys doing that is so special? That old Kewei guide also doesn't really help against arty :(.

You basically hit the nail on the head there. All you need to do is be unpredictable, and inconvenient to shoot at.

As mentioned before, you do this by being the last one spotted, repositioning constantly when you've been lit, or generally playing in arty-safe positions. The problems with the last option is that most of these positions are ineffective for winning games, and all you're doing is delaying the inevitable loss.

There is a problem with this however, and that's if the arty player is also a good player (bluenicum+). The very few occassions I have played arty, I find it much harder to hit complete baddies (no offense meant here) because they are harder to predict. If you see a unicum spotted, you know he'll try to get arty safe after his shot etc, whereas a tomato might reverse a little bit, then drive forward to stay in the open. I.e. complete illogical movement makes it harder to hit.

Fortunately for you, you won't suffer from xvm focus. When you reach superuni stats, you get the arty players that would rather hold their shell for 3 minutes just to shoot you personally, rather than racking up easy damage. If that occurs it's really hard to be effective, and you have to rely on RNG making them miss their shots. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

I never sit perfectly still. It's a bad habit. Unless my bushes are very small I constantly move back and forth which is a  thing to constantly use.

I've played enough arty to know what tanks people generally shoot at. Moving at all makes it hard to predict where to lead, especially on maps like Prokh when you can't really decide on what way they'll go. 

Going to slow camplanes with paper stuff just screams arty, same with sitting still or playing the same move too many times. Think like chess, do the same opening 50 times in a row and people will counter. 

Don't worry about arty really until you see them starting to hit friendlies around you. On Mountain Pass for example valley shots are so good that every arty will aim there so rest of map is somewhat safe until that flank dies etc

On 10/4/2016 at 5:55 PM, AirG said:

I always find that getting spotted last in a group helps a lot since arty will focus whoever is first to get spotted not wasting time to get a shell out. 

I play arty and don't mind change focus to tank in the same sector (not requiring to move arty hull). I'd rather wait .5 sec longer to aim (from 5-7 sec. of total aim time) than miss and wait 15-30 sec. reload. So, I'll shoot at most predictable (usually TD in ambush)  or if all moving - most  slow-moving in straight line,

next preference parameter is size and armor    - SU-100Y might look not bigger than OI, but I'll deal much more dmg to it.

and if no nice targets I can shoot available I'll consider 

1.splash dmg of tank behind cover (can't shoot at him but can shoot close to him)

2.look at tracers (especially from other arty) and blind-shoot

So:

1. if you in the really fast tank - just move as soon as you spoted

2. if you speed is so-so - move unpredictable - e.g. change directions or move perpendicular to arty

3. if you terrrribly slooooow - stay under cower from arty until not spotted  

keep in mind:

1. arty sector  ( Gun Arc ) is  one factor limiting it where to shoot. It's from 60d in US M44 to 8d in USSR T7 and up.  So, after shoot it will look at map and decide if it's need to change sector - hence will start aiming at the sector where most of prospective targets located.  in about 1/3 of reload it could fully aim at particular place (e.g. somebody was spotted 2 times unloading clip, moving back to cover and again)  or just popular location (like G1 on Erlenberg or F6/A4 on mines)  if someting more interesting will show-up in next 5 sec. - still enough time to re-aim.. closer to 5sec. before reload completes more reluctant it would be to change sector.

if you got spotted near place where arty fully -aimed by reload complete (lets say  F6 on mines) you will be shot immediately and will get shell bit faster than spotted notification.

if arty was aimed on F6, but you on A4 - it will take 1-3 sec more, if you on F1 - 5-10 sec. more 

2. backing up parallel to arty aim is the next best move to standing

3. hiding right behind corner = I can't shoot at you, but if I can shoot 2m near you - I'd still do some dmg to you than shoot at zig-zagging LT

On 10/5/2016 at 9:35 AM, weenis said:

If you see a unicum spotted, you know he'll try to get arty safe after his shot etc, whereas a tomato might reverse a little bit, then drive forward to stay in the open. I.e. complete illogical movement makes it harder to hit.

Fortunately for you, you won't suffer from xvm focus. When you reach superuni stats, you get the arty players that would rather hold their shell for 3 minutes just to shoot you personally, rather than racking up easy damage. If that occurs it's really hard to be effective, and you have to rely on RNG making them miss their shots. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

why I would wait 3 min. if I have better target? On the other hand if you moving in OI "to get arty safe" in less or more  straight line toward or from me  I'd might consider even fully re-aim to you from the one who moving-stopping-moving especially perpendicular to me.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:40 PM, Kolni said:

I never sit perfectly still. It's a bad habit. Unless my bushes are very small I constantly move back and forth which is a  thing to constantly use.

I've played enough arty to know what tanks people generally shoot at. Moving at all makes it hard to predict where to lead, especially on maps like Prokh when you can't really decide on what way they'll go. 

Going to slow camplanes with paper stuff just screams arty, same with sitting still or playing the same move too many times. Think like chess, do the same opening 50 times in a row and people will counter. 

Don't worry about arty really until you see them starting to hit friendlies around you. On Mountain Pass for example valley shots are so good that every arty will aim there so rest of map is somewhat safe until that flank dies etc

+1. I'll just add to "move back and forth" - move  at least at distance grater than you tank length*1.5

moving 2m wouldn't matter unless only place I can shoot -your turret.