Assassin7

Can you create a sensor that will prevent your car from starting unless it is in proximity?

50 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

In Canada, if you're car is beyond a certain age, basically, they require an immobilizer to insure it. The insurance company evens pays for it in my province. But if that isn't secure enough, easiest way I would say is wire the ignition through a second fuse that you put inside the cabin. That way you can just yank the fuse when you leave, and if you hide it well, good luck figuring out how to start it. I would start from where the ignition goes through the firewall, since I don't think that's where theives are looking, and then go along to somewhere where it isn't easily visible. Similar to the headphone jack bypass mentioned earlier, just might be a little more expansive.

7 minutes ago, BattleMetalChris said:

About ten years ago a friend locked his keys in his car. We discovered that the key to a different friend's car would unlock the boot of the first and allowed us to get in.

The crazy thing was that the first car was an Austin Metro and the second a Nissan Bluebird - not only a different model, but an entirely different make.

weird, I know there is some cross-between GM brands, and Ford+its sub brands, or even when 2 companies make the same car under different badges, like Mitshubishi+DSM/Chrysler (eagle dodge etc) but its extremely rare for cars that are not related in some way. Then again, manufactors don't often make the ignitions, these are sourced from '3rd party' parts factories.

4 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

@Curo Yeah, I can't speak for all, but in MB I couldn't insure or register my 98 cavalier without getting an immobilizer.

Thats not true for ontario, i do have one in my 98 civic cause theft is lame, but my 98 corolla does not.

1 minute ago, Curo said:

Thats not true for ontario, i do have one in my 98 civic cause theft is lame, but my 98 corolla does not.

6 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

@Curo Yeah, I can't speak for all, but in MB I couldn't insure or register my 98 cavalier without getting an immobilizer.

5 hours ago, Curo said:

Part 2 is you own a 1990's Honda a DC2(4?) which uses the same ignition of the same Era Honda Civic, and heres a scary fact, there is about a 20 percent chance the key I have from my 1998 Honda EK Civic hatchback while work in your ignition. I swear, I work salvage and I carry a batch of maybe 12 honda keys to unlock various 1985-2005 honda models without having to 'break in'

This. I remember the tumblers get so worn you could probably start the car with most similar shaped keys.

1 hour ago, jackquerudo said:

This. I remember the tumblers get so worn you could probably start the car with most similar shaped keys.

Well, its getting an entirely brand new one when it gets repaired, so hopefully that cuts down on that issue.

Just leave blood marks on front seat. Oh, and a note with several names and two of them marked as done :doge:

the insurance company just called me.

they want to write it off.

I can't. I just cant. its not even broken, the ignition system is just on the floor and it needs a new door handle. thats it. 

its not fair. I can't lose my car. I can't. It means too much to me. im literally crying right now

41 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I can't. I just cant. its not even broken, the ignition system is just on the floor and it needs a new door handle. thats it. 

its not fair. I can't lose my car. I can't. It means too much to me. im literally crying right now

That's why you can't take older vehicles to insurance companies. My car has a tiny bit of hail damage, and if I were to take it to my insurance company, they would want it written off. Even though it's only got 118k km, they want the old cars off the road. Here you can usually make a deal to buy back written off cars, but then the next time they get crushed right away, or something like that. Talk to your parents, and your insurance company to see what you can do.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-repairable-written-off-vehicle.asp

That's from the Australian dept of transport's website, which might help you.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/write-off-a-vehicle.asp

and there's the main page of their explanation of write-offs.

its not even broken.

I said ill think about it, they said they can write it off and I can keep it, and get it fixed myself. because its not structural damage its not going to be wrecked. 

but I talked to mum and she said she will talk to them.

they want to replace the entire door and get it back in a brand new condition, which includes fixing the vinyl wrap, which is BS because the door doesn't need fixing, just the handle, and I've ALREADY talked to the wrapper and he offered to get it done for free so thats a non issue. it just needs the fucking ignition system fixed.

you have no idea. I can't fucking lose my car. It means so much to me. its not fair. I can't fucking lose it simply because some fucking asshole decided to try and fucking steal it.

Piles of fucking scum. Literally right now I wish I was living in america so I could find the guy and fucking shoot the bastard in the face - legally. 

24 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

I said ill think about it, they said they can write it off and I can keep it, and get it fixed myself. because its not structural damage its not going to be wrecked. 

Since I'm still not used to this quote system, it sounds like they're being nice, and even having a written off car, you'll still be able to licence and insure it, so it isn't that big of a deal. You won't lose your car.

19 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

oh so it has been invented, I thought it might.

rip. here I was thinking I might of been on to something great here. 

don't worry, I would have taken the patent if I found that nobody else had it :P

23 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Since I'm still not used to this quote system, it sounds like they're being nice, and even having a written off car, you'll still be able to licence and insure it, so it isn't that big of a deal. You won't lose your car.

they did even say they can keep the rego up on it, and would payout the wreck cost of the car or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

they did even say they can keep the rego up on it, and would payout the wreck cost of the car or whatever. 

Yeah. The next time it's "written off" it'll probably be for good, but I don't know how your systems work,

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Your car is from 1998 often any claim on a car that old is a 'write off' and insurance companies these days right most everything off. The yard I work at specifically sells cars that have been 'written off' back to dealers/parts places 

29 minutes ago, Curo said:

Your car is from 1998 often any claim on a car that old is a 'write off' and insurance companies these days right most everything off. The yard I work at specifically sells cars that have been 'written off' back to dealers/parts places 

thats not very fair.

you could spend like 20K building up and just restoring an older car to factory new condition, with literally all the safety features and everything as a modern car and they would still write it off for something like this? thats retarded. 

because thats what I wanted to do. I wanted to restore my car to looking brand spanking new. thats what the wrap was for, I was going for new everything, lights were going to be next. then the interior. 

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

thats not very fair.

you could spend like 20K building up and just restoring an older car to factory new condition, with literally all the safety features and everything as a modern car and they would still write it off for something like this? thats retarded. 

because thats what I wanted to do. I wanted to restore my car to looking brand spanking new. thats what the wrap was for, I was going for new everything, lights were going to be next. then the interior. 

We had a written off 2014 Cadillac SRX last year that had a scratched mudguard.

18 minutes ago, Curo said:

We had a written off 2014 Cadillac SRX last year that had a scratched mudguard.

lol what

12 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

lol what

insurance companies are stupid man, Honestly I want your car to live, that generation of honda is beautiful, near perfect machines. fun to drive, yet endlessly practical. And a modding community that is vibrant and active. they are in some cases 20+ year old cars that still have parts being made regularly and new parts are even still coming out. new designs. everything. I wish you luck man.

3 minutes ago, Curo said:

insurance companies are stupid man, Honestly I want your car to live, that generation of honda is beautiful, near perfect machines. fun to drive, yet endlessly practical. And a modding community that is vibrant and active. they are in some cases 20+ year old cars that still have parts being made regularly and new parts are even still coming out. new designs. everything. I wish you luck man.

no kidding.

the car itself is in near perfect condition. the only thing that doesn't work is the air con because theres a hole in the pipe somewhere and the gas leaks out within a few days. 

EDIT: I just got called by the insurance company again. they say its nothing but a write off. BUT they quoted the cost to repair it as $700-750 or so. the policy states that if repairs are 70% of the cars value (it was insured for 1K) then its uneconomical to repair. so they write it off. 

they offered a settlement claim, where I keep the car (and keep it registered because its fucking fine) which would equate to around $500. I have a $300 excess if I were to get it repaired. so if they went ahead with the repair it would cost $400-450 for them (because my $300 excess) but INSTEAD they are going to write it off and give me $500, or around that as a settlement. because LOGICAL REASONS. 

it will cost fucking less for them to fucking repair it. 

7 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

no kidding.

the car itself is in near perfect condition. the only thing that doesn't work is the air con because theres a hole in the pipe somewhere and the gas leaks out within a few days. 

EDIT: I just got called by the insurance company again. they say its nothing but a write off. BUT they quoted the cost to repair it as $700-750 or so. the policy states that if repairs are 70% of the cars value (it was insured for 1K) then its uneconomical to repair. so they write it off. 

they offered a settlement claim, where I keep the car (and keep it registered because its fucking fine) which would equate to around $500. I have a $300 excess if I were to get it repaired. so if they went ahead with the repair it would cost $400-450 for them (because my $300 excess) but INSTEAD they are going to write it off and give me $500, or around that as a settlement. because LOGICAL REASONS. 

it will cost fucking less for them to fucking repair it. 

its the problem with generalist policy, its one of the reasons why i am becoming an underwriter for insurance (im going to school for it) cause its really annoying that insurance companies will often blanket case instead of looking at stuff in case by case basis.

28 minutes ago, Curo said:

its the problem with generalist policy, its one of the reasons why i am becoming an underwriter for insurance (im going to school for it) cause its really annoying that insurance companies will often blanket case instead of looking at stuff in case by case basis.

Well. Either way its going to get repaired and its going to be in working order and its still going to be registered and its still going to be my car. That is a fucking fact. Even if I have to pay for the whole thing myself (unless they catch the guy at which point hes gon a pay every fucking cent plus some if I can wrangle it)

Apparently what happened is the mechanic (whos a local guy, extremely reliable and well known within the community, and never under quotes) quoted the price of 700. Then he sent photos of the damage to the insurance company, who assessed it and went fucking mental saying "Hnng its got all this damage and all that damage and it has aftermarket tail lights in it that we werent told about and its gonna cost $1600 to fix all of these things that dont need fixing and are completely unrelated to the damage caused" and said its a write off.

I mean, aftermarket tail lights. Ffs. If they are so fucking worried about them Ill just put the originals back in, they're still in the fucking boot of the car. And they want to replace the whole door which allegedly has a big dent in it that Doesnt actually exist that they think the thief caused which he didnt so thats retarded because it only needs a new doorhandle. 

And we're just here like "We just want the ignition fixed and to be able to lock it, we dont want to replace the entire fucking body AND the entire fucking wrap"

Damn, I remember one of my friend got his car stolen only to find it driven a mile or so away. Also surprisingly someone saw off my dad's MDX catalytic converter 4 years ago, I don't even know how he got away (It was in a packed parking lot)...