Sign in to follow this  
Assassin7

PC temps

From Status update, @Folterknecht said to create a thread, so here it is.

XKnhwo4.png

Also note, the GPU is a Gigabyte Windforce card, and I manually set the fans to max RPM for the duration of that session. 

OLhYrKr.jpg

case is a Zalman Z3 Plus, and shit its a lot dustier in there than I thought it would be. ill dust it out this weekend.

What direction is the fan blowing on your cpu heatsink, is it pulling air into the heatsink from the back? Usually when I see those heatsinks, the fan is mounted on the other side and pushing air into the heatsink, so that the rear fan can exhaust the air.  80s are rather high temps if not worrisome for that cpu.  If that is a coolermaster 212 cpu cooler, for example, I have the same cpu cooler and I idle at around 30C, your min temps of mid 50s suggest perhaps thermal paste is not applied well.

D73yPoZ.png

Cpu:

if its not oced your temps in idle should hover around 30C max

even so, for heavily overvolted cpu 56 degrees in idle is tooooooooo hiiigh, check your privilege. i mean ammount of dust in your heatsink + state of TIM + check if its well mounted. + use fixed voltages in bios. never use auto.

you could also check if its not a faulty sensor. stop the fan on idle with temp monitor, touch the heatsink, if its not getting warmer, then remount it :doge:

gpu: if its max rpm, then you should consider reapplying thermal pads/ grease on core/vram/vrm + cleaning the heatsink.

as for the pic: the ammount of negative pressure (3 fans blowing out 1 fan blowing in) and lack of dust filters makes it a great environment for dust to settle :kappa:

1) When I read "megapower elite" and similar gibberish on a PSU sticker I usually get mega-nervous

2) raid your moms panty hose stockpile - nylons make for good dust filters on intake fans. Remember that one kids - also makes for a good excuse if you have a nylon fetish as long as you don't get caught wearing them.

3) Same question as tomhwk asked - how is your fan on the CPU oriented (pic)? @tomhwk  - you can't compare soldered DIE/IHS CPUs (Haswell EP) with Ivy, Haswell, Broadwell or Skylake temperature wise on Intels mainstream platform(s).

4) What was the temp in your room while you got these numbers?

5) Move your SSD down to the bottom of the case (via braket if you have to) . Atm it's blocking the heat coming from the thick HDD(s) below.

6) Move your front intake fan down - fresh air moving directly over the HDDs should help cool these fuckers down. My HDDs are usually below 35°C even under hvy load they don't  reach 40°C which helps with lifespan.

7) Reseat CPU cooler and reapply TIM at the same time. Get rid of that GPU brace, put fan on the usual position over the RAM blowing to the rear. Tighten the screws down for the CPU cooler to get decent contact pressure.

8 ) What is your VCore under load and are you overclocking?

Yes, the PSU is a some dumb cheapo brand - my dad Bought it for my for christmas a few years ago. He has absolutely 0 clue when it comes to PC stuff so I cant really blame him. But its never failed on me so Its okay i guess. 

Rear Fan is Exhaust, I didnt think of that when installing the heatsink, so i guess ill swap the heatsink fan to the other side. 

I cant move the SSD, theres no where to mount it. I could move the HDD down though so theres a gap between that and the SSD mount.

No idea on the room temperature. I had the doors wide open throughout the session, ima guess maybe 20C?

Ill see if I can move the front intake fan down. But i might instead get a whole new one and have two running. 

Im not Overclocking, ill get the voltages for you later today when I get on and use it. 

Also it does idle at around 30C. I had just exited GTA when I took the screenshot so it was still cooling down. 

As I said in the status update, I unplugged the back top fan because it had a worn out bearing or something and was making a horrible noise. 

Also I havent had a problem with heat before, this is actually the first time I have seen the GPU hitting the 70C mark even under max load. Normally it hovers around 60-65 even when in GTA. 

Oh, and the big brace down the middle of the case I cant take out. I've tried. Its bolted in with rivets instead of screws.

3 hours ago, aaveq said:

Cpu:

if its not oced your temps in idle should hover around 30C max

Tell me that when you dont live in the midde of a desert where your base room ambient temperature is 29C let alone having 2 390X nuclear reactors :serb:

Mine will spike in excess of 70C sometimes and even with an H90i and 4 extra fans they just cant pull the heat out fast enough.

Stock rear fan + 2 top aftermarket fans pulling heat out and 1 side fan letting cool air in

LzdECxj.png

This is me running GTA 5 on 1440p ultra

Corsair C70 case and being propped up away from the walls and monitors in an open space. With Aftermarket fans and liquid cooling :serb:

I honest to god think its just the fact that the 2 GPUs spit out so much heat at this point that the fans can barely keep up.

70c in idle is some heavy bs  :serb: even with 30c ambient, check your mountings or thermal sensors

14 minutes ago, _Assad said:

4 extra fans they just cant pull the heat out fast enough.

you

need

this

my ambient is more or less 25 degrees cores idling at 27/30 and never going above 61c @ new prime/occt/realbench/linpack :doge:  (1.2v/6700k) , high end air coolers laugh at low-end AIOs :kappa:

+crossfire :serb:

:serb:

Just now, aaveq said:

70c in idle is some heavy bs  :serb: even with 30c ambient, check your mountings or thermal sensors

you

need

this

my ambient is more or less 25 degrees cores idling at 27/30 (1.2v/6700k) , high end air coolers laugh at low-end AIOs :kappa:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Case+Fans-_-N82E16835553001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvve_BRDmg9Kt9ufO15EBEiQAKoc6qsPCNbXizWbgsAwEn2ItQvtULHkl5-GhfYMdU-mXOowaAqS78P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have these :serb:

Also how much do you OC your 6700

12 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Oh i see.

Ill think about it, im planning on doing a new build early next year anyway so I dont think its urgent enough to need to spend much more money. If I can get the temps back down just by rearanging the cooling It'll be fine.

For now ill just run it with the side panel off, ill dust it out and reconfigure the heatsink/Fans this weekend. Im not that worried about the GPU because 70C should be safe, its the CPU thats the main problem.

I can tell what your major problem is and the cpu fan orientation just by looking at that picture.  Your rear fan exhaust and cpu fan are fighting each other at the moment. 

HfJeTiV.jpg

So it isn't necessarily the case that the cpu fan needs to be moved to the other side (although that might help).  The cpu fan is simply blowing in the incorrect direction and can't get the air it needs because of the exhaust fan.   The red arrows indicate how the air is moving and real tip to be learned here is what I circled in yellow.  These fans are always designed to push air toward the side that the power cable is on.

Personally I would get another fan for the cpu (Use two on the heatsink and whatever other areas are missing them) and make sure all of the orientations are correct. 

I had the same problem, and I didn't even realize i had one (although, my temps were around 45-50 with OC i5-6400). Moved the fan to the other side, instant change lol

WGnzB1o.jpg

RfN07sq.png?1

thats most of the voltages after ~15 mins playing The Witcher 3 completely and utterly maxed.

also the MB heats, as I said I think it doesn't measure right because of the whole -31C one, and the 96C one, and both of those are normally saying similar to what they are even when on a cold start so yeah. 

@Assassin7

Please use HWInfo64 and post a screenshot with the voltages (VID and VCore) while you have load on your CPU.

Unbenannt.jpg

This is my 3570K running 4000 MHz with a negative Offset via BIOS of ~0.15V. With the programm you are using I'm not sure whether its reporting VCore or VID. If it's really your VCore you have the reason right there for these insane temps on the CPU.  1.27V are way to high for stock speeds and are usually enough for around 4.5 GHz depending on the sample.

Better ... if you want you can decrease the temps further by lowering the VCore.

go into BIOS http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LK/E8534_P8Z77-V_LK.pdf  Page 3-7 (AI Tweaker) -> CPU Voltage -> select Offset mode -> select Offset mode sign "-" -> select CPU Offset Voltage - > -0.1V

-0.1V works on most (Intel) CPUs at stock speed, if you want to go even lower you ll have to test that out.

Gaming load is low intensity (in most cases), followed by streaming, followed by video transcoding. The thing is the lower the VCore, the less wattage you draw, the lower stress on your motherboard ... and that's beside the whole temperature argument, which also contributes to degredation. The motherboard you have there isn't build like a tank.

4 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

@Folterknecht ill think about it.

while we're at it, would you be able to tell me how to overclock it on that mobo? because i have absolutely no clue even after looking at it.

You raise the Multi - don't touch the BLCK, fix it at 100 MHz - and adjust the VCore via Offset settings as needed. When the system gets unstable you need to increase the voltage or. back off on the Multi depending on where u are with VCore/temps and the Multi. I'm not sure what your problem is with overclocking your system atm.

Here is a very good (german) guide on how to overclock Sandy/Ivybridge CPUs - google translate does the trick

8 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

You raise the Multi - don't touch the BLCK, fix it at 100 MHz - and adjust the VCore via Offset settings as needed. When the system gets unstable you need to increase the voltage or. back off on the Multi depending on where u are with VCore/temps and the Multi. I'm not sure what your problem is with overclocking your system atm.

Here is a very good (german) guide on how to overclock Sandy/Ivybridge CPUs - google translate does the trick

the problem I had was I looked at the BIOS and I had no idea what to do to overclock it, the only system I have overclocked before is an old like 2008 system with a Pentium E5300 and a basic Gigabyte mobo via changing the FSB and multiplier

Overclocking on Intels Z-chipsets from Sandybridge onward work the other way around. With the E5300 you couldnt change the Multi but increased the FSB (today BCLK).

Nowdays you fix the BCLK at 100 MHz and increase the Multi and voltage. Read the guide and stay away from "auto" voltages - limit for your load VCore should be 1.30V in windows (your cooler wont be eable to handle more - even 1.30 will probably be to much).