Sign in to follow this  
Never

Need some help with a new rating system (Not for WoT)

Hey guys,

So long story short, I'm working on a statistics tracking website for Vid.me, and I'm trying to come up with a rating system to figure out who the top channels are. Turns out I suck at coming up with those.

Can anyone give me a help? The main metrics I have to work with are the total amount of upvotes the user's videos have, the number of videos he uploaded, the total number of views his videos have and the amount of people following him.
As far as I can tell, followers is so far not a very good metric since Vid.me is still heavily based around sharing videos outside the website, like on Reddit for example. The biggest channels still barely break 1000 followers.

Anyone has any idea how I can sort this into a meaningful metric?

Maybe copy some of youtube's stuff but also include various ratios for views, follows, boats etc. but with certain cut-off points so they don't decay forever. I know my youtube channel, dead as it is, has a hilarious amount of views from the US and Russia due to a veeeeeeeeery old fan contest video I made for WoT back in the day. I didn't quite make the cut for prize money but my best friend's vid got 3rd :disco:

You should probably also think about some sort of time based (i.e recent) split out so that one awesome cat video from 2011 does not forever rule them all.

Is there any way of tracking how often videos are watched in their entirety or if they are aborted 2 minutes into an 11 minute video?  If they are getting watched start to finish, they are either pretty good or have a lot of boobs - either way +++

Nah, time watched is probably an internal only metric. Plus it pretty much destroyed YouTube's ranks by ensuring low effort content like gameplay videos got high ranks while animations, which take a long time to make and even longer if you want a long video got the shaft.

From what I can see, Vid.me is a bit of a special case because they're only now growing into their own platform instead of relying on sharing videos on other websites. This means there are a lot of channels with "one hit wonder" videos that hit the front page of Reddit, got a couple hundred thousand views and the channel never did anything again. So this rating should probably focus on metrics that are found inside the platform. That would probably be Followers and Upvotes, contrary to what I said in the OP.

Views should probably factor in more if the user has more videos. In that case, I'd probably want to grab their videos and go through them one by one instead of just averaging their views per video so that one single high view count video doesn't skew the rating for the rest. This shows that the channel is consistent, not just got lucky once.