kreso03

Need help with 3 marking KV-2

Yes, you heard me right. This comrade needs your help in making Stalin proud.

Can someone write down his own tips that would help me reach it? How much gold AP are you using? In which circumstances you would not use them? How do I call upon Stalin's hand to guide my shell? Does saying "Cyka blyat rush B!" help?

I'm mostly having problem keeping up consistency, which I have hard time determining if I'm problem or gun. :facepalm:

Gold Ap is good, even silver a lot of times. Just look good and long on startup - if you get a lot of soft enemies you may load pure AP whole game. Gold is a good way to one-shot KV-1 without taking a chance with RNG. Silver AP is a sure way to derp mediums for 700 instead of 300+track.

I would never run AP shells if enemy have heavies I can not pen fore sure with any AP), since you go all to the brawl area. After they are killed or spotted on other side of the map you go back to AP - better for shooting moving targets for trajectory, too.

With 20 sec reload you can split ammo and load a third each - and never run out of either. KB-2 has a ridiculous ammo capacity.

But to 3 mark it platoon is essential.

I suggest T-34-85 (Cromwell crazy speed is of no use with you, you need a medium with solid gun handling and good module dmg, and some staying power (at least hull-down).

Because you can cheat. 85 mm gun can track with a single AP every tank you see, even tier 8 Japs - Crommie and other 75 mm are too small calibre for it. 85 mm HE is also useful, it has 300 alpha so it kills rushing lights at blistering speed, you two can two-shot AMX CDC (he was so pissed off when he rounded a corner and got shot to pieces in a split second by two tier 6s), and good for doing 50-100 dmg a pop hwen it can not penetrate with gold (for instance IS-6).

So, your partner track enemies first (a lot of times if the enemy was running it presents their juicy sides when they spin), and you farm dmg.

Then your partner saves your ass by finishing off enemies that would otherwise nail you on reloads.

34-85 has a nice, fast reload to permatrack, and you can even try some overmatch games if you are cheeky. 152 mm s the biggest gun on any tank in a game (barring derp tds) , japs and E-100 are all IRL below 150 mm, like 149.9. Play with tanks.gg a bit.

For instance, you can overmatch T-34 and T-29 roofs easy (especially when they are on reload because they fired in your buddies, and tracked by them), along with stuff like IS-3. Do it with HE shells, you can always do splash if you miss the exact spot.

Ideal would be to also have a heavy like T-150 in a team to tank some shots for you, so you can derp enemies that are on a reload.

It all takes a toll on your buddies, man - they have to pass up awful a lot of opportunities. Basically leeching whole platoonful of dmg into one tank. It also brings a platoon WR way down than normal.

I suggest also running food, Rammer+Vents+EGLD. It helps with terrible gun handling - and with your buddies you should not be taking any side shots in your fuel tanks.

Running 107 can potentially yield better consistency -  nobody expect KV - 2 with it.

But it is gonna cost you damage and exposure in tier 8 games - where platoon mates can do little to shield you. You simply do not have the armor, gun depression and mobility (T-150 is faster, just enough to make its better armor and gun depression work even in tier 8 games) to make 107 work in a tier 8, even tier 7 struggles - you get dmg, but take too much back. 152 mm can aim shorter than 107 against for instance T-29, O-Ni or IS-3/6.

Also, if you have opportunity to shoot two enemies that are very close to each other (but you can not fully penn either), always shoot the more armored one. Their combined splash dmg is better than if you shoot the thinner one.

I know it from quite a lot of  KV- 2 battles on my own, but also from my bro´s 800+ in his, and his 60% WR when he is solo.

P.S. go to tanks.gg and learn how to shoot O-Is with AP through tracks for dmg. Otherwise you do 250 dmg per shot and you are lucky if you kill him in 3, but more often you need 4 shots. 

107 mm is great for killing O-I before he can reload the second shot (post nerf)...

Howitzers don't work anymore since the accuracy nerf, they just fling too many shots everywhere. KV-2 might as well use the 107mm now, and at that point just get a T-150 for the same tank with better armor. If you really just have to nuke stuff you might as well get an OI instead and ruin tier 6 games while you're at it.

1 hour ago, Daezara said:

Sacrifice more dissidents to glorious komrade stalin so he may guide your shells. :doge: 

Right...put them in platoonmate tanks.

7 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Howitzers don't work anymore since the accuracy nerf, they just fling too many shots everywhere. KV-2 might as well use the 107mm now, and at that point just get a T-150 for the same tank with better armor. If you really just have to nuke stuff you might as well get an OI instead and ruin tier 6 games while you're at it.

I know. I sold mine ages ago, but kept the T-150 (best tier 6 heavy).

T-150 also have better gun depression, is faster and have better terrain resistance, leading to better tank traverse IRL (not on paper). Also, turret is traversing way faster.

O-I has some advantages on KV-2, I mentioned them many times...it was much better before the nerf, now it is still better (even soft stats), but that is not the OP question.

But KV-2 is not ruining games, it is a capable tank in right hands. I like to see them on my team. Pubbies are afraid of getting derped, and if I drive my T-150 i always get good results tanking hits for derper brother, platoonmate or random guy.

Well i 3 marked my KV-2 aswell some time ago... It's mostly RNG / MM luck... 

You definitely need to use everything possible to get the reload down / the gun handling less bad. So BiA, rammer, vents, gld, food it is. That brings the reload down to 19s.

Don't be too aggressive but don't be too passive aswell. You don't want to die after 1 shot but you also do not want to not get any dmg because you are too slow.

You need to know where you can pen which tank with AP for guaranteed dmg.

For example:

IS-3, Tiger II, T29, T34 turret roof due to overmatch 

Most engine decks due to overmatch

Pretty much every T6 tank except OI frontally

T28, T28Prot, Centurion 1, Carnaervon, AMX AC 48 sides due to overmatch

etc... 

LEARN those weakspots and use AP accordingly.

Abusing platoonmates obviously helps aswell.

Other than that pray to RNGesus :serb: 

So I see, it's going to be similar to 3-marking Achilles. Very capable tank if you don't get city/corner map... Which is not something really something I can influence.

(It's not like it's impossible to do good on Himmelsdorf tier 8, in Achilles *cough* http://wotreplays.eu/site/3019380#stats *cough*)

15 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

But, but... KV-2 is KV-2, First of Derpers, King of Trolls, Stalin's favourite... :kappa: 

6 hours ago, leggasiini said:

paging @MacusFlash because IIRC he has 3 marked the KV-2

Yeah but I did it by an accident :woona: 

15 hours ago, kreso03 said:

Yes, you heard me right. This comrade needs your help in making Stalin proud.

Can someone write down his own tips that would help me reach it? How much gold AP are you using? In which circumstances you would not use them? How do I call upon Stalin's hand to guide my shell? Does saying "Cyka blyat rush B!" help?

I'm mostly having problem keeping up consistency, which I have hard time determining if I'm problem or gun. :facepalm:

Rule number one - use 152mm gun. 

Rule number two - use 152mm gun and don't you dare to even buy 107mm. 

Enough of introduction. Ok, don't even bother with silver AP because all what you can save using them is enemy HP pool. Set HE (2/3 of ammo rack) as first ammo so it will load first. Mount gun rammer, vents and GLD. Everything else including optics is pointless 'cuz KV is a blind tank no matter how good its crew is. I run AFE instead of food but this is a personal choice.

General tips:

• NEVER go alone unless you are the last from your team. Enemy tank may have less HP than your alpha but troll gun is so unpredictable that you can always miss, bounce, roll low dmg (both AP and HE shells).
  • avoid open fields when there are mobile enemy tanks around. Stick close to rocks, walls, buildings or whatever that may stop LT/MT from circling you to death.
  • aim as long as it's possible AND safe - often RNG sends shells in the right direction and in most cases this is all what you need. 
  • do not trade hits in 1:1 ratio unless it's your penetration versus enemy's penetration with rather low alpha (like every 75mm gun up to 85 and maybe 90 but doing so against something with 105+ is a really bad idea).
  • HE not only does dmg but also cripple tank with critical hits... ok, this is actually a bullshit. Killing crew or destroying modules is a nice bonus but only bonus and do not count on it. There is only one thing that KV-2 does perfectly in this category. It's a detracking. In +2 battle with a proper shot into tracks KV-2 can decide about win or fail. Catch someone with his pants down and let your allies farm dmg on him. This way you also can force an enemy to use his repair kit. 
  • AP is the best when top tier or with MM +1 (YT video with klingon commentary but it shows proper AP usage). Check enemy list and decide if there are enough paper tanks to switch to AP. In some critical situations like facing T-29/34/30 or any tank with <50mm roof AP will give you some sweet dmg. Sometimes it's a good idea to use AP against paper tank with less than 600HP. 
  • With AP try to aim at ammo racks. 152mm gun has an amazing module dmg.
  • If you can't penetrate an armor with HE aim in the front of turret, the bottom part of it. Splash is looking for the thinnest armor (hull roof in this case) in the range and on this basis game calculates dmg. Sometimes splash enemy's floor.
  • O-I is broken.
  • Do not afraid to snipe. 500 meters aren't bad distance for KV-2. 

How to 3-mark it? I have no idea. I don't play toons or plan to make MoE. All what you need is proper choice of ammo, farming assisted dmg from detracking and helping your allies when an enemy is in super position (sidescrap, hulldown). KV-2 is super easy tank to play or master.

5 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

• AP is the best when top tier or with MM +1 (YT video with klingon commentary but it shows proper AP usage). Check enemy list and decide if there are enough paper tanks to switch to AP. In some critical situations like facing T-29/34/30 or any tank with <50mm roof AP will give you some sweet dmg. Sometimes it's a good idea to use AP against paper tank with less than 600HP. 

Great post overall!

I will just comment this one - silver AP is just as good in those situations. Shooting Crommie with gold is waste. T-29/34 is same chance also on both shells, 25 mm extra penn do not help - all or nothing.

Likehood of shooting all shells is 0.

Carry 3-4 silver ones.

So you can oneshot Churchill I/III for free.

T30 roof is weak, but need failtoons to see it.

On 27.10.2016 at 11:59 PM, Felicius said:

I will just comment this one - silver AP is just as good in those situations. Shooting Crommie with gold is waste. T-29/34 is same chance also on both shells, 25 mm extra penn do not help - all or nothing.

Likehood of shooting all shells is 0.

Carry 3-4 silver ones.

So you can oneshot Churchill I/III for free.

With such low base penetration I don't want to give RNGa chance to troll me.

Little update, got to 90% from 86%.

That was 9 games with 1300-ish average damage. Seems unlikely that I'll be able to keep it up, because I'm aware I got lucky on several occasions. like penetrating O-I from 300 meters (and then missing AMX 12t ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

Also, AP shells were big part of doing damage, much more consistent at wrecking enemy mediums.

If you want 3 marks, use the 107mm. It certainly doesn't have the fun factor, and probably will chop your win rate too.. but it's a fair bit better at farming damage in today's lopsided 2 min match meta.