breeeze

Global Operations released

So yesterday was patchday and the new mode is finally out. Global Ops is roughly similar to BF4, with a ticket counter, changing cap zones, wildcards, respawns etc. More info about the mode here

I think it really adds a lot the to the game and differentiates it more from WoT. I've had a ton of fun playing it and I'd recommend anyone to give it a shot. Classes are fairly balanced on it (except LTs of course, but those are bad in PVP aswell), the gameplay is interesting and engaging, as far as I can see so far the map is well made, wild cards are great, the stages are nicely paced and high skill is still very much rewarded with winrate despite it feeling a little less competitive. And as a bonus the XP and credit rewards are pretty crazy, especially with some boosts and insignias on top tank grinds should be stupidly quick with it.

As a NA player I updated my game and checked to see if the new mode would bring some new life back into the NA server. I played during off hours and was able to get into battle within 5-30 seconds every time. It seems like most of the players were in tier 5-8 vehicles, so queue times might be longer for other tiers but less during prime time. 

The new game mode is a lot of fun, even though it did take me a couple of battles to figure out how to play it properly. I'd highly recommend other NA players to try the game again, and hopefully in a few weeks player numbers will still be high enough to get battle any time of day.

It's a really good idea -- reduces camping, increases the amount of thought needed in how to try and carry etc. The problem (at least at tier 6/7) is that playing poor tanks seriously is a detriment to carrying pubbies. I don't know if I was unlucky or something, but the last three games I played in the mode my pubs seemed to have an aversion to even getting on the caps, to the point where the enemy would just blob-rush me and my toonmate while the pubs just stood around. Couldn't hold them off nearly as well as my toonmate in his Chally 1. I really think this mode should've been released after Balance 2.0. Fighting the same overpowered shit in every match is extremely boring in an MBT (chally 1 and Cent 120 spam is real).

@breeeze I disagree, light tanks are very much viable in this mode since they can flex around to take points quickly while still being able to do damage. Have not had the chance to play any AFVs in it yet.

On 28/10/2016 at 3:14 PM, breeeze said:

Yes, only one map in this patch, but the devs have stated there are more in the works, at least 2 more soon, although I obviously don't know if "soon" is next patch.

Actually one at least is planned for  0.19  confirmed by SilentStalker

@Shade421 well you can have a lot of fun with low tier especially in AFV (my favorite trick is to cap to spawn pillbox behind choke point :))

It's certainly a well thought out game mode, that's generally better than random battles in this or any WG.  The universal detriment is that bad pubbies suck the fun out of it as much as the other options, but you have to rely on teammates more.  I'm still a fan, but it sucks playing with pubbies who are all but led to a cap by every game mechanic and message available and still don't follow basic common sense strategy.  It's very much a plus that this method makes teams move around and not camp at choke points. 

On 11/2/2016 at 7:57 PM, Vitellius9 said:

It's certainly a well thought out game mode, that's generally better than random battles in this or any WG.  The universal detriment is that bad pubbies suck the fun out of it as much as the other options, but you have to rely on teammates more.  I'm still a fan, but it sucks playing with pubbies who are all but led to a cap by every game mechanic and message available and still don't follow basic common sense strategy.  It's very much a plus that this method makes teams move around and not camp at choke points. 

Eh... seems a bit early to be singing the praises of it.

For starters the game mode isn't conducive to carrying.  In regular PvP in AW and WoT a good player can basically win the game on their own.  In Global Ops that just isn't possible and you have to rely on your teammates to win.  Taking more objectives than the enemy is what wins the game and one person simply can't do that.  Even if you were the most amazing player in the world and killed multiple enemies by an objective those same guys you killed would be capping what you just took while you're moving to the next one.  This simple fact already has me ragequitting after just a few games each day.  Just now I came off two straight games where my team split up at the start on all three objectives in phase 1 (sheer stupidity) and then settled for even exchanges of objectives afterwards (which is a guaranteed loss).

Second, going off the last bit above, is there really any strategy in this game mode?  There doesn't appear to be.  If you win 2 out of 3 in phase 1 and trade evenly the rest of the game you've won.  That's not very exciting.  At least in regular PvP you have maps to learn and how to play them depending on what vehicle class you're driving.  Right now in Gobal Ops it's simply about sending most of your team carrier with the rest to one other spot at the start and if you win that initial fight you won the game.  Wow... such strat... so amazeballs.

Right now I think folks are overthinking the mode without realizing how little there is to it.  If you have a points lead all you need to do is sit near and protect your objectives (assuming even trade in phases 2 and 3) and that's it.  Too many teams are overextending for no reason (why push closer to their spawn and further away from your own?).  If you're down points, especially going into phase 3, the placement of the objectives makes it near impossible to win unless the opposing team goes full retard.

The saving grace for the mode is that the game 'is still in beta' so hopefully they shift things up quite a bit.  The map still needs a lot of work (too damn cluttered) for general gameplay purposes and objective placement needs help as well (phase 3 in particular for major ones and ATGM bunkers are really only useful to the eastern spawn team placing them against the western team and even then only 2 spots out of 4 are meaningful).

On the test server the mode died off in less than a week and I'm already seeing numbers drop off on NA.  It still needs work.

I agree that you can't carry as well in this mode, that's part of the love/hate relationship.  I think you can carry more than most people suspect though, it's just not the damage or kill farming that has been the main focus of WoT/AW modes.  You never could carry quite as easily in AW compared to WoT with the damage to hp ratio.  Capture points and delaying capture is so much more valuable in this mode, so your platoon or even solo beef tank like Challenger type can delay a cap long enough to be very valuable.  You are correct in that pubbies are overthinking it by not protecting their caps on leads, but it may be dumb pubbies underthinking it and chasing kills to their team's demise also. 

I disagree with you on phase 1 though, phase 2 seems to be the money shot.  You can easily make up 500 points on a decent change to phase 2.  Phase 3 you can make up ground too, but it's still no phase 2.  You can clean up on phase 2 and just protect 1 of 4 caps in Phase 3 and still win.  The fluff caps don't seem that valuable.  A well placed airstrike can be devastating, but only in a nice packed up blob.  The ATGM bunkers and spotting drones are just nice little fluff.  They never dictate the match, but they are fun to have around. 

Initially I hated the mode because you can't carry the same.  After getting more aware of the concepts, like being at 4 or 5 cap 30s early, I've really started to enjoy it.  I think it's a lot more fun for the vast majority of players than any of the other WoT/AW modes, because it forces everyone to be in constant motion instead of fighting in the same 2-3 spots on every map. 

The one constant is that shitbag pubbies suck the fun out of this mode, just like they do every other mode in every type of these games.  I got 6 matches in a row with ALICE, Krit and players like Antlerman and the 1200 point losses pile up. SIM or no SIM, if one team 6 bads, you are all but guaranteed the loss. 

People still play this game? top jej

I like how I go to official forums and it's still the same names, still bitching/fanboying, I like how checking the battle results is all familiar names I met when I still played... 

Anyways, how's [SRY] doing?