So i bought an IBM Model M 3 days ago and i'm already madly in love. The tactile feel, the sturdiness (it weights easly over 1.5 kgs), the detachable cable, the fact that it's almost 30 years old and works like a charm (only the number 6 and 9 are a bit iffy). Only 2 real problems for me, the US layout (rip my beloved "ñ", and fuck the "weird" position were a lot of the accents and shit are placed :P), and the "small" enter key. 

A photo. The best part, the thing looks fucking brand new, the guy that sold it to me was AWSOME :D.

09eOSHX.jpg

The reason i decided to make a forum post instead of an status update was because i wanted people to share their experiences with different keybords, and stuff, super dumb but i love muh keyboards :P (and if there's a topic about this already the i blame it 100% on the seach function). 

No thanks, trading looks for a thing so sturdy that looks and works like new 28 years after manufacture and god knows how many of use (i already fixed the 6 and the 9) is really dumb in my opinion, also personally I think RGB is ugly as sin, like puting spoilers on a car. And if you want a million function keys you can always get a model F terminal version (even older, sturdier, clikier!, and with n-key rollover) and autohotkey would probably do the rest (i don't know if can easily connect one of those to a modern PC though).

As a side note i love computer history and typing and owning something older than me that works exactly as it should i beyond satisfaying.

PD: I tested a lot of cherry MX switch and never liked one enough to justify paying the premium against a 5 bucks keyboard, maybe nowadays there's one of the million modern switches that really matches the sensation of a buckling spring, but still i bet the platform where they are wouldn't last 28 years ;).

3 hours ago, Nkrlz said:

No thanks, trading looks for a thing so sturdy that looks and works like new 28 years after manufacture and god knows how many of use (i already fixed the 6 and the 9) is really dumb in my opinion, also personally I think RGB is ugly as sin, like puting spoilers on a car. And if you want a million function keys you can always get a model F terminal version (even older, sturdier, clikier!, and with n-key rollover) and autohotkey would probably do the rest (i don't know if can easily connect one of those to a modern PC though).

As a side note i love computer history and typing and owning something older than me that works exactly as it should i beyond satisfaying.

PD: I tested a lot of cherry MX switch and never liked one enough to justify paying the premium against a 5 bucks keyboard, maybe nowadays there's one of the million modern switches that really matches the sensation of a buckling spring, but still i bet the platform where they are wouldn't last 28 years ;).

My keyboard was actually given to me by my sponsors. Even if I had to pay for one it's worth the price.

RGB is new meta. 

RGB is useles, but backlight isn't

And having owned several rubberdome keybords incl. a gaming oriented one from Logitech, I can honnestly say never again. Good mechanical switches will last you a lot longer without losing their initial tactical feel turned into a wobbly, mushy mess. The nice thing about mechanical switches is that there are different types with different typing characteristic (actuation fore) and "clickiness", something for everyone from gamer to secretary.

Sadly never had the opportunity to use a model M.

I got a Logitech G710 with brows and am pretty happy with it. I like the fact its not as shiny and gamey as some of the other productsm especially Razers. Works like on the first day, only the volume control broke. Has also a lot of places where dirt can stick :(

I will never tolerate anyone with MX switches to use their keyboard within earshot of me ever again. I almost strangled a roommate over his stupid fucking keyboard clicking.

I rocked a Logitech G510 (and then the S) for years. Then they stopped making it and the only gaming keyboards left were all mechanical so I read a bunch of reviews about feel and noise...and landed on the G910 Orion Spark. Mechanical feel, RGB lighting, QUIET switches, tons of macro keys, all the multimedia controls, and I seem to be one of maybe 7 people worldwide that like the stock keycap shapes. If you're going to drop stupid money on a keyboard, I'd recommend it over just about anything else.

I use the Logitech G 710 + - good gaming keyboard , and reliable , with nice back-lighting for night use

but be warned the most used key " W " comes off every so often - common problem apparently

( you can just click it back on in 3 seconds during a game )

On 30/10/2016 at 6:10 PM, Shade421 said:

I will never tolerate anyone with MX switches to use their keyboard within earshot of me ever again. I almost strangled a roommate over his stupid fucking keyboard clicking.

Guessing he had blues? Maybe browns, both are awfully noisy with that "clicky" bullshit.

Reds aren't so bad if you aren't typing like you're using a typewriter.

On 29/10/2016 at 9:52 AM, Folterknecht said:

RGB is useles, but backlight isn't

Word.

Love my K70, MX red switches with a comfortable red backlight.