hubbyplaystanks

Help with my husband's account

First, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I understand purple players are the great players tanks, so I thought it was the right place to ask. Please can an admin move it if it isn't?

My husband is on Wotlabs and has left it open a lot on his PC, but never seems to read the forums, so hopefully I'm safe.  He has some health problems which are getting much worse and doesn't know that he's been bumped up the operation list and he's going to be going into hospital sooner and longer than he thought - a cancellation has come up next Monday for an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, and he also hasn't yet found out they'll be taking bone from his hip instead of the cadaver graft he was told he could have. So he's going to be in hospital for about 2-4 months by the time he's done with rehab and physio, in more pain, and with

Without breaking rules (and I don't know what World of Tanks let you do or not with your account), is there anyone who might be happy to help him have some nice surprises when he's come out of hospital? He's missed all the Clan Wars reward tanks either from being in hospital for the full time, having his (2) spinal cord injuries and a post-operative infection (they left a sponge in!) since June 2013, alongside being in a fairly massive car accident and missing the 2nd campaign for the birth of our son + complications following. A friend of his has offered to put up some money as tanks is all he plays with his time, and he's awake and in pain most nights, so long hours are spent. I've quietly asked him to enjoy playing tanks and explain what he likes (and played a bit with him) so I hope I've got some understanding of what I'm asking.

Things I'd like to try and get for him:

• Fifth campaign CW reward tank.
  • Top Tankers - first place in any one top tier tank.
  • 3 marks in 2+ tanks
  • Light tank missions for a personal mission (not sure which tank).
  • anything else anyone suggests?

Are any of these legal to do? It looks like account sharing is now legal, and I guess a thankyou to someone who's been nice to him isn't against the rules, as I had a careful read through the terms of service. I know for the Top Tankers thing I feel pretty guilty as I told him he could have a Type 59 as long as he waited for me to buy it for him as a Christmas present, and with funds being a bit tight I put it off, only for it to be removed before it got to our wedding anniversary, just before Valentines Day.

Also, if you know who it is I'm referring to (he's on NA), please don't alert him to this post - I will tell him about the operation and probably tonight - I just open the mail and I'm struggling to get my head around looking after our kid solo for such a long time, as well as juggling work and study.

Please feel free to send a direct message if you need more details on anything.

thanks,

~HusbyPlaysTanks.

2 hours ago, hubbyplaystanks said:

He has some health problems which are getting much worse and doesn't know that he's been bumped up the operation list and he's going to be going into hospital sooner and longer than he thought - a cancellation has come up next Monday for an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, and he also hasn't yet found out they'll be taking bone from his hip instead of the cadaver graft he was told he could have. So he's going to be in hospital for about 2-4 months by the time he's done with rehab and physio, in more pain, and with

So how is it that you know this stuff and he doesn't?  Have you talked to him about it?  These seem like things he should know and information that I would expect a good wife to share with her partner.

Without knowing more of the situation, for you to be spending time here instead of keeping him informed, your priorities seem fucked.

1 hour ago, hubbyplaystanks said:

Plus I've done a local redirect on his PC DNS so he should think the forums are broken if he tries to go into them.

Yeah, this degree of manipulation is beyond me.

2 hours ago, hubbyplaystanks said:

Are any of these legal to do?

Depends on how you define legal...

All the account sharing information (for NA) can be found here: https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/273

Reddit and other sites are awash with people who have been banned for account sharing but it's a much more common practice than WG would want you to believe. Pretty sure it does breach the EULA though

2 hours ago, Kuroialty said:

So how is it that you know this stuff and he doesn't?  Have you talked to him about it?  These seem like things he should know and information that I would expect a good wife to share with her partner.

Without knowing more of the situation, for you to be spending time here instead of keeping him informed, your priorities seem fucked.

Yeah, this degree of manipulation is beyond me.

I picked up the post this morning, took it to work and opened it there, because we have so many stressful letters and so few positive ones he hates to open his mail and likes me to do it for him, which I'm happy to do. Between clients I picked some files up using my VPN, came on here and wrote most of this, then realised he might see it and scrambled for a solution. Have you never given your partner a surprise present?

When I'm home tonight and our child is in bed, I'll sit down with him and have a chat about today's news, face to face and with time for us to share how we're feeling about it and what we're thinking, rather than him find out through the forum or in a short text or email.

It's Matra, thankyou for the link. I hadn't seen it before and I guess it's too risky to undertake anything without talking to my husband and seeing if he's even okay with it, which he might not be, so it's not really possible to surprise him, even if I'm sure I know what his login will be.

So much judgement and so little help here - maybe an admin could delete both this thread and my account? I'd hoped for a little more in the way of help and less in the way of judgement.

I just want to say that all hopes for his health, and creds for trying to make him feel better, but in my honest opinion, this all seems so out of place.
Though, it might just be my self-diagnosed autism, so this might hint of many social/mental disorders on my side.

Anyway;
As you mention that you've had an wedding anniversary, makes me believe you have to be of mid/old age, probably in the 40's/50's (Since I've never really heard of many, if not anyone who celebrates 10 year old anniversary), and with the combination of general World of Tank terms, this just sound weird.
Actually pretty much close to a scam, using feelings to convince the "good" people of WoTLabs to freely grind your account.

Basically, your text doesn't convince at all, as the internet is the easiest place to build up a persona, tell falsehood stories and lie.

Some pictures would easily increase your chances tho.

he hangs in chat and is a pretty chill dude. unless he's making it up, all the stuff she has mentioned medical wise is true. But pics would still be nice.

@hubbyplaystanks he might not have told you this, but half the stuff you mentioned wanting done, I am already doing for him, he might have been keeping it as a surprise though. :doge2: 

Thanks for the change of heart from some of you. I understand my knowledge of World of Tanks is mostly second hand (my husband made me an account but between lack of time and lack of desire I've not really gotten into it), and a bit flaky. I don't want to break EULAs, Terms of Service etc but do want to help my husband - and I'm sorry Orrie missed the bit where I said "and I guess a thankyou to someone who's been nice to him isn't against the rules" as I wasn't sure if giving money for help was against the TOS, and his friend had offered some.

I also understand that people rip other people off on the internet - while my husband still had a business he used to buy clanmates tanks and gold and lend them money for tanks - but after the 3rd time he got ripped off with the "hey, I really want to buy tank X but I don't get paid til Y and the sale ends on Y(-n), could you lend me the money?" requests he decided to either give or not give but never 'lend' again. It saddens me to think that people are that miserable about $40 or so, but to paraphrase Orrie, maybe I'm just getting old. Thankfully I'm not in my 50's yet! So...I've asked my husband to send Joyrider some correlating evidence, and thanks Joyrider! It may be TMI when you have it though!

19 hours ago, hubbyplaystanks said:

I've done a local redirect on his PC DNS so he should think the forums are broken if he tries to go into them.

How the fugg do you do this?

Back in topic, my most sincere wishes for your husband to get well soon.

If he has @Joyrider216 on the case, then there is nothing more any of us peons can do.

+1 JR, o7

and +1 OP, although -1 for being so cryptic and making us all think you were a Nigerian prince. . . 

On 10/31/2016 at 1:10 PM, hubbyplaystanks said:

I think he just hangs out in the chatroom. Plus I've done a local redirect on his PC DNS so he should think the forums are broken if he tries to go into them.

That's pretty amazing, but what if he tries on his phone/basically any other device?

A redirect on the home modem would have been a tiny bit more effective, just saying.

15 hours ago, Strigonx said:

How the fugg do you do this?

Thanks to my new knowledge in networking, I can actually answer this (I think). Basically when you type the address of a website into your browser, you are typing what is called a "domain name". When you press enter, a request is sent to a DNS (Domain Name Service) server, which takes that domain name and tries to find the IP address of the website associated with it; if you or someone on your netowrk has been to this website before, the dns server will have this information already stored in it's memory and the page will load quickly, otherwise the request gets moved up to the next teir dns server (usually at your isp), and the process repeats until either the domain name gets resolved, or it doesn't (which will give you an error in your browser like "domain name not found" or something).

Now, when your device connects to a network, it will recieve the ip addresses of the dns servers it will try to connect to when you try to visit a website. These IP addresses can be manually edited to whatever the hell you want, and your computer will accept them as correct even if they aren't. The result will be your device not being able to resolve any domain name you type, since it won't be able to connect to the dns servers.

Of course, doing this won't stop someone from going to a website by typing in its IP address instead...

21 hours ago, hubbyplaystanks said:

Thanks for the change of heart from some of you. I understand my knowledge of World of Tanks is mostly second hand (my husband made me an account but between lack of time and lack of desire I've not really gotten into it), and a bit flaky. I don't want to break EULAs, Terms of Service etc but do want to help my husband - and I'm sorry Orrie missed the bit where I said "and I guess a thankyou to someone who's been nice to him isn't against the rules" as I wasn't sure if giving money for help was against the TOS, and his friend had offered some.

I also understand that people rip other people off on the internet - while my husband still had a business he used to buy clanmates tanks and gold and lend them money for tanks - but after the 3rd time he got ripped off with the "hey, I really want to buy tank X but I don't get paid til Y and the sale ends on Y(-n), could you lend me the money?" requests he decided to either give or not give but never 'lend' again. It saddens me to think that people are that miserable about $40 or so, but to paraphrase Orrie, maybe I'm just getting old. Thankfully I'm not in my 50's yet! So...I've asked my husband to send Joyrider some correlating evidence, and thanks Joyrider! It may be TMI when you have it though!

I'm just gonna excuse my scepticism once more, and say that you're doing a wonderful act towards your husband.
The internet is just an endless labyrinth of events, and you never know what the next corner will give you.
I'm just used to the falsehoods and deceits, that I take pretty much most things as that, until proven otherwise.

It's really nice to see such warmth once in a while, and it really increases my hope for humanity.

I would've happily supported, but EU / NA differences and I have to do my own stuff in my clan.
All the best, and hopes for a quick and clean recovery towards your husband!

I could easily sum it up with "Too cute to be true".

Thanks everyone! In answer to the 'how', just:

• Open 'Command Prompt'
  • ping forum.wotlabs.net
  • that give us 104.28.11.5
  • open HOSTS (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts )
  • add a line 192.168.0.1 forum.wotlabs.net (or point it at a web server like a windows azure instance you use for work *cough*)
  • install or open a recent version of Intenet Information Services
  • create a new website and use https://www.nuget.org/packages/Intelligencia.UrlRewriter/ to do your rewriting. it took me most of the 5 minutes I had to get the conditional forward working alternatively you can do it with ISAPI Rewrite, but it's a bit harder.
  • Forward things that don't have 'chat' in them back to www.wotlabs.net 
  • Forum is now broken.

And yes, I should've edited the router but we never got round to setting up remote access to it, which is a mistake I hopefully don't need to rectify!