TheMarine0341

T26E5 Patriot - The new Freedom on the Block

The T26E5 Patriot

Coinciding with Veteran’s Day, WarGaming NA is releasing the newest tier 8 premium tank for the American nation, the T26E5 Patriot. Its a heavy tank, featuring a fantastic 90mm cannon with APCR rounds for both its standard AND premium rounds. Will this tank be worth it? Lets take a closer look

Crew

For my crew, I am using my T110E5 crew and a radio operator from my T32. All crew members have BIA, repairs, and I have 6th sense. There is no specialty which I would focus on, just get your repairs, BIA, 6th, and then work your typical crew skills such as vision and gun handling.

Loadout

Your tank carries 69 rounds, which is great because you’ll completely FLY through them given the chance. Your standard APCR rounds have 230mm of penetration, while your premium APCR rounds have 259mm. Until I have a better feel for the tank, I will carry 45 standard rounds, 20 APCR, and 4 HE. I have not tested the profitability of the tank spamming only premium APCR, but I do NOT feel like the profitability of the tank is great enough without personal reserves or Stronghold bonuses to make up for that cost.

Equipment

Two pieces of equipment are obvious: The Vertical Stabilizer Mk 2, and the Medium Caliber Gun Rammer. For your 3rd piece, it will depend upon your playstyle. In my opinion, running Vents is the way to go IF you’re going to use Cola. However, if Cola is too expensive for your taste, I would instead choose Coated Optics.

Consumables

For now, I am running a small med pack, a small repair pack and Cola. You could drop Cola for an auto extinguisher if you’d like to save a few credits, but as long as you’re not spamming premium APCR you’ll hardly notice the cost of the Cola.

Armor

In short: Its good. Frontally, you’re immune to most tier 6 and 7 Medium tanks, and immune to most tier 6 and 7 Heavies as your upper and lower plates of armor are about 185-190 head-on. You will troll D25-T (the Russian 122mm gun) with simple angling, and if you’re utilizing your depression, frontally you’re exceptionally strong against all opponents but tier 10 TDs. Your turret is slightly weaker than the T32’s turret, having an area outside of the mantle which features areas of 200-220mm protection, and your turret ring is a bit more prominent. Your sides, if over angled, can be easily penetrated. If you’ve played the T110E5 a lot, to advance in this tank its a much similar “walk” towards your opponent, attempting to make them shoot an over-angled area.

The Good, the Average, the Bad

Many of these strengths and weaknesses have already been touched upon, but it's certainly a good time to lay them out

The Good:
DPM of 2500 with Cola/Vents is AMAZING (5.7 second reload)
Turret is exceptionally solid, with no over-matching area for 122mm guns to abuse
Your frontal armor is exceptional overall for the typical US HT

-10/+20 for your gun elevations
230 standard ammo pen

380 base VR is easy to extend out to max VR of 445m

The Average:
Shell Velocity on the APCR is nothing exceptional, barely over 1000 FPS
Mobility is better than the T32, and worlds better than the T34
Overall gun handling is not quite like the Pershing, but its solid

The Bad:
90mm gun has horrible alpha for a heavy tank (240 per round)

Snap shots will seem to fly into no where from time to time

Did catch fire with a hit to the engine area on the first hit

Playstyle

The armor profile allows for a much more varied approach than the T32, making it a better city brawler than the T32, T34, and Pershing. It’s much more like the Super Pershing, which can bully lower tiers frontally with little to no worries. Against its peer Heavy Tanks, it can trade 2 for 1 MUCH better than any other HT at its tier, in effect giving it the best alpha at 480. In this manner, its much like the 215B HT at trading its HP to get two shots off for each shot it takes in return.

And of course, if you’re able to find a hull-down position without the threat of arty, you’re going to have an even better game.

Replays

Verdict

Within the game files, this tank is listed as being 9700 gold, which roughly means about $45 USD. At this cost, this tank is absolutely worth it if you either need a credit grinder or a great American HT crew trainer. With the ability to get away with almost just standard rounds for the majority of your battles, this will grind out credits exceptionally fast, and be a MUCH more enjoyable play than the T34 US HT. I would buy it if I needed either one of these options

I look at this and all I can see is a tank which is better nearly in every single way over the Caernarvon.

Ignore rest of post, compared the wrong tank. Either way, still leaves Caernarvon in the dirt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the numbers on tanks.gg are accurate, just movement comparison alone is simply staggering:

Caernarvon vs T26E5 

2a0f2a5eb8e78b9d122877f5671819ae.png

Power creep? What power creep?

54 minutes ago, Zezti said:

I look at this and all I can see is a tank which is better nearly in every single way over the Caernarvon.

If the numbers on tanks.gg are accurate, just movement comparison alone is simply staggering:

Caernarvon vs T26E5

Those numbers seem to be a mix of old and new (old engine and i guess also old passibility stats, but new hp/ton)

And caern is ofc a cripled tard tank, beiing as shit as caern means even the reddest red wont buy it ^^

Same the pen seems better as it is, its 230 apcr, thats around 212 AP i bet (same as fcm and suchs)

23 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

380 base VR is easy to extend out to max VR of 445

BaseVR is 390 though.

21 hours ago, Zezti said:

Caernarvon vs T26E5

You are comparing the Caernavon to the T25 Pilot, not to the T26E5, tanks.gg is outdated and doesn´t have the T26 listed so the only way to view it is to use tankinspector.

1 hour ago, Fabunil said:

BaseVR is 390 though.

You are crap, you are comparing the Caernavon to the T25 Pilot, not to the T26E5, tanks.gg is outdated and doesn´t have the T26 listed so the only way to view it is to use tankinspector.

^^

6 hours ago, Fabunil said:

BaseVR is 390 though.

You are crap, you are comparing the Caernavon to the T25 Pilot, not to the T26E5, tanks.gg is outdated and doesn´t have the T26 listed so the only way to view it is to use tankinspector.

20 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Those numbers seem to be a mix of old and new (old engine and i guess also old passibility stats, but new hp/ton)

And caern is ofc a cripled tard tank, beiing as shit as caern means even the reddest red wont buy it ^^

Same the pen seems better as it is, its 230 apcr, thats around 212 AP i bet (same as fcm and suchs)

I don't have tank inspector on me right now (mostly since WoT isn't installed lel), but I did pull this off gamemodels3D (for those that want base stats and not super-duper crew on a caffeine/soda rush from all that soda).

T26E5: BRVwxl1.png

Speed limit:  40.2 km/h / 15

Beware: numbers lie. The gun mantlet is 279mm thick, not 190mm: bSbpnSj.png

Compare to T32 with 90mm:

Ua4YJ0N.png

Speed limit : 35 / 14

Compare to Caernarvon:

Ua4YJ0N.png

Speed limit : 34.3 / 12

.... yeah. Pretty much a full fledged tier 8 heavium that would be pretty good on its own as a tech tree tank, but damn powerful for a premium. So much for premiums "not being as powerful as fully upgraded tanks".

Dispersion while moving is pretty interesting. Cae and T32/90mm has 0.21 on both rotation/movement, while T26E5 has 0.2 movement/0.22 rotation. Should make ridge-fighting/peeking a little better at a slight cost of engaging mobile targets attempting to flank you.

7.2 second base reload on T26E5 vs 7.6 second base reload on the other 2 HT means a definite DPM advantage, so if you do end up in a face-fight it will edge out a win.

So, basically a T32 with 90 mm, more armor on hull, but less on turret (a good exchange, would liked it with T32 as well, Kryptonite turret is useful, but workable hull against 122s even more), and faster. I actually liked the T32 with 90 mm, my only 2 complaints were a bit weak hull armor, and expensive APCR (this one is not only premium, but stock rounds are more than enough in most cases). I sold my T32 mainly because crews are hard to get by, and with god-mode T29 and E5...(also it bankrupted me by 30-40 avg loss - though with 105 i spammed as much APCR, just less dpm and accuracy=less dmg done)

You have great base round, best of the 4 USA 90 mm spammers (T32, Pershing, KR and Superpershing), and same gold rounds as them (Pershing have 10 mm more, big deal). 

Overall the best armor layout of the 3, taking into account it can actually move. Pershing may have some perks, but this adds the armor, without sacrificing the mobility (much).

Best tier 8 USA tank.

It looks like it can make the best money of all USA tanks, because it does not rely on premium rounds (T34 is too low dpm/derpy to farm dmg, and you need Cola always).

How much money it actually makes, depends on credit generation coefficient. But I expect it to behave like Skorp G - theoretically less than Jag 88 (less than T34), but it is so much better tank, that farms dmg in all phases of battle, that sweet cleanup included to pad WN8 and credits, along with the ability to actually win - and earn more.

If i wanted a tier 8 prem that is not broken like 112 against lower tiers, but actually good in its own merit in all situations, i would pick this one. Not limited to one role (you can spot, brawl, facehug, hulldown, snipe, trade 2 for 1, bully lower tiers, snapshot...) makes it important for a 45$ premium...Superpershing/T34 get boring soon, something you do not want when shelling that much money...best selling point of KR.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:34 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

Verdict

Within the game files, this tank is listed as being 9700 gold, which roughly means about $45 USD. At this cost, this tank is absolutely worth it if you either need a credit grinder or a great American HT crew trainer. With the ability to get away with almost just standard rounds for the majority of your battles, this will grind out credits exceptionally fast, and be a MUCH more enjoyable play than the T34 US HT. I would buy it if I needed either one of these options

Verdict

Within the FREEDOM files, this FREEDOM is listed as being 9700 gold, which roughly means about 45 FREEDOM. At this cost, this FREEDOM is absolutely worth it if you either need a FREEDOM grinder or a great FREEDOM HT crew trainer. With the ability to get away with almost just FREEDOM rounds for the majority of your battles, this will grind out FREEDOM exceptionally fast, and be a MUCH more enjoyable play than the T34 US HT. I would buy it if I needed either one of these options.

-FIFY

5 hours ago, SuperTheBoss said:

Any word on if this will be available without the ridiculous paintjob?

probably both tanks will come with the full-paintjob, our only hope is that we'll get a base-pack which only contains the tank without any paint /crew / equipment

those who want to drive the american/french flag itself can pay 100 euro for a my little pony multipack

10 hours ago, hammer90 said:

Considering that this thing and the AMX M4 49 are going to be available the same time it's gonna be tough to pick one.

USA trains more desirable crews (especially after the E5 and 57 armor buffs, and you get great tanks in lower tiers , like T29, to keep and crew). With the Frenchies, you have your 50 B and that is it. You probably already have one 3-4 skill crew for it.

35 minutes ago, Vindi said:

probably both tanks will come with the full-paintjob, our only hope is that we'll get a base-pack which only contains the tank without any paint /crew / equipment

those who want to drive the american/french flag itself can pay 100 euro for a my little pony multipack

I can't get my head around why they can't simply make it optional like every other camo ingame. It's a simple bit of code that will get them so many more sales.

6 hours ago, Felicius said:

USA trains more desirable crews (especially after the E5 and 57 armor buffs, and you get great tanks in lower tiers , like T29, to keep and crew). With the Frenchies, you have your 50 B and that is it. You probably already have one 3-4 skill crew for it.

We are still waiting for second branch of French HTs :feelsbad:

15 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

We are still waiting for second branch of French HTs :feelsbad:

They are probably gonna release that about 2022., right after they cover every other nation that put a gun on something with tracks (including copycats) The talk about new french line is probably made just so they can sell more premium tanks.

6 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

ksJGKlu.jpg

Not a bad tank at all :D Erlenberg had some prem spam, cause MAUS/E100. Otherwise, just standard APCR for the 0 WN8!

Aces were on Lakeville and Steppes, uploading that session now to YT

Is there any table with penetration drop-off values?

I would guess that base APCR has a very low drop-off, and gold one much higher, but I would like to see exact values. With only 12,6% more penetration on gold APCR (one of the worst premium rounds regarding penetration increase, but handy since for a lot of tanks you need 250+ penetration), 5% drop-off at 500 m for silver and 10-12% for gold one would tie them so close that it is a loss of credits for Chai snipe.