TheMarine0341

Rating the Premium Tanks (Tiers 5 through 8)

So now on EU we have the KV-122, one of the new premiums that has been leaked resently. A quick look at the stats on tanks.gg shows it to be an IS-2B that trades armour for a bit of speed and better gun handling.

Since I already have the IS2B, I wont be going for this. But if someone missed out on the IS2B, I can see this tank being a decent purchase. It even comes in a standard bundle without anything attached (as in, only the tank itself and a garage slot IIRC).

The KV-122 is just the old  KV-1S uptiered one tier with more HP. 40 Kph D-25T vehicle but just another money grab by WG (cough T34B).

It looks like a really decent heavium, Vastly improved gun handling compared to the other 390 alpha tanks and still retains a semi-decent turret

2 minutes ago, General_6 said:

The KV-122 is just the old  KV-1S uptiered one tier with more HP. 40 Kph D-25T vehicle but just another money grab by WG (cough T34B).

It's fun though, like most heaviums. You will one shot Stugs all days and it's even better at that hulldown trading role than the IS-2. To put things into perspective, I've seen it compared to the T-34-3, which makes a fair bit of sense.

I *might* have bought this if WG actually put effort in modelling as opposed to just copy and pasting the KV-85's model. It's the same thing as the VK4503, the Japanese Tiger and most of the new premiums, lazy cashgrabby clones. WG needs to stop mix-matching hulls and turrets and guns, get off their bums, and start actually introducing new tanks. And no, abominations like the 59 Patton doesn't count.

Premium tanks are supposed to be experimental/weirdo tanks that don't fit into the existing tech trees. That doesn't happen. What actually happens is that WG finds a T9 tank, gives it a T7 gun and calls it a day. Sometimes they don't even get preferential matchmaking. Other times they simply reskin an existing tank by giving it a different hull/turret, or they take a completely different tank and give it the exact same hard and soft stats. Which is stupid because they could make the tanks play that much more uniquely and pull in customers instead of having 3 or 4 reskins of what is effectively the same tank which is boring and underwhelming for everyone involved.

If you had an IS, IS-2 or IS-2 Berlin, why would you buy a KV-122, other than to say you own it. Putting aisde the issue of the relatively expensive bundle. 

Premium tanks for sale tomorrow.  I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm pretty damned tempted by the Lowe.  Those buffs!!  I've been watching replays since the buffs.  Seems like an armored beast now, able to hold its own even in T10 battles, with typical German accuracy and good pen and alpha.  

Buy?

I could get both the Lowe and the Ravioli for about 16,000 gold.  Not bad.  

3 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

Buy Buy Buy

I would hold off....the M41 Blackdog may be 15% off tomorrow. 

Also,. This is a ridiculously helpful thread, but in some cases we now have a glut of "average" tanks....for instance Tier 8.  Anyway to highlight tanks that would belong to a "better than average" category?

For example I really like the KV220 and Church III at tier 5 and the Skoda T40 at tier 6. These need something like a star to show these are better than average.  

I know this is a lot of work but would improve an already great thread. 

12 hours ago, General_6 said:

I would hold off....the M41 Blackdog may be 15% off tomorrow. 

Also,. This is a ridiculously helpful thread, but in some cases we now have a glut of "average" tanks....for instance Tier 8.  Anyway to highlight tanks that would belong to a "better than average" category?

For example I really like the KV220 and Church III at tier 5 and the Skoda T40 at tier 6. These need something like a star to show these are better than average.  

I know this is a lot of work but would improve an already great thread. 

Part of the problem is that there is a bit of personal preference that goes into any list we make. Marine does have things organized into categories on the OP as far as what he considers a good buy, but it seems like the next 4 pages of the thread are varying opinions. Even if we did a vote elimination method to rank the tanks, it would only show the overall play style, which still might not match yours personally. 

If you can ask a specific question, we can give a specific answer, but generalizations can usually have more than one correct answer or some inference. e.g. You like the Skoda T40, and I play that like a support tank, therefore you like support tanks? You must like the Panther 8.8.

If you had to choose one. Liberty or patriot ?

Forget about crew training,  it's more for money and OPinees

4 hours ago, DHP said:

Forget about crew training,  it's more for money and OPinees

Patriot...ppl are slowly realising Liberte has a 60 mm thin weakspot on turret.

Patriot also makes way more money due to much cheaper shells (French 100 mm is notorious for worst silver cost for dmg done. 1000 credits for just 300 dmg...usually it is the cost of 320-390 dmg). Patriot, on the other hand has the cheapest ones in the whole game with that much pen (and also no French syndrome of fully aimed shells hitting the dirt). 230 penetration for 250 credits/240 dmg? America, fuck yeah!

P.S. Patriot can play like a medium or a heavy or spotter with optics mounted + it can permatrack (assist dmg also gives you more money, and I made mastery sole due to several 2-3 k assist dmg in tier X battles). It never gets boring...Liberte is a much more one-dimensional tank.

Interesting. Foch had them as Patriot, Liberté, Skorp G, Revalorisé, STA-2.

I'm going to say that the T-44-122 should be moved up to at least average. Though I'm tempted to say buy, the dpm does hold it back a bit in spite of the maneuverability to move it where it is needed. It is a very profitable premium, and has pref mm.

Just to clarify, I do actually have a T-44-122. I don't know if it would ever come up for sale, but if a version did, I hardly think it's a sub-average premium

On 1/27/2017 at 10:53 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

Updated as some more premiums are being buffed

Glad to see you are keeping this list updated, I find the list and the discussion in this thread to be informative, especially after having just came back to the game after a 1.5 year break.

Should the T34/T34B really be in the "no" category? Seems rather weird to me; the tank is bad but not that bad. The 120 is a lot more useful these days than it was a few years ago, with all the T8 heavies having their armor buffed. Having it below the CDC/4202/JT88 and in the same category as the Kanonen seems cruel - in my mind it's somewhere between average and "powercreeped".

I don't really agree with where the ISU-122S, AT-15A, KV-5, CDC, or FCM are either. The ISU is fairly bad compared to the other "average", the AT-15A is much better than something like the Scorpion/Type 62, the KV-5 and CDC being in the same category gives me an aneurysm, and the FCM being below the CDC/Panth 88 is weird to me too.

Really good list in general, though, not knocking it. Just being a pedant.

Yeah, CDC is complete trash tier. The combination of armor so thin that HE regularly pens you and sky-size reticle bloom just destroys this tank's ability to play anything other than a bitch sniper role. And it really doesn't even do that very well.

And 4202(P) won't be average with the buff, it might be "bearable." It will still have bad DPM, bad alpha, worse gun handling than the CDC, and unreliable armor.

Panther/M10 should be interesting post-buff. I'm guessing it will be between average and good. It's basically going to be a Panther that trades some penetration for never seeing tier 9s.

Oh yeah, Type 62 is also a giant dumpster fire. Even if it was only slightly worse than the WZ-131 it might be alright, but it is vastly worse with the biggest insult being a 145 pen AP round. Enjoy spamming overpriced HEAT rounds that will chew up any of your earnings while still being a substantially worse version of your tech tree counterpart. Hopefully this thing gets rebalanced during the light tank shift. Actually, if you gave it normal tier 7 MM it might become a passable tank.

34 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Should the T34/T34B really be in the "no" category? Seems rather weird to me; the tank is bad but not that bad. The 120 is a lot more useful these days than it was a few years ago, with all the T8 heavies having their armor buffed. Having it below the CDC/4202/JT88 and in the same category as the Kanonen seems cruel - in my mind it's somewhere between average and "powercreeped".

I don't really agree with where the ISU-122S, AT-15A, KV-5, CDC, or FCM are either. The ISU is fairly bad compared to the other "average", the AT-15A is much better than something like the Scorpion/Type 62, the KV-5 and CDC being in the same category gives me an aneurysm, and the FCM being below the CDC/Panth 88 is weird to me too.

Really good list in general, though, not knocking it. Just being a pedant.

If the T-34's mobility was on par with a T-32, I think it would be certainly more worthwhile and enjoyable at times to play. Without the Patriot being a thing which will be on sale from time to time (3 time now on sale starting next Monday I believe, and in about a 4 month period?) it could be moved up slightly. But, it remains one of the most expensive premiums at 12000 gold and is annoying as hell to play with the mobility being as bad as it is. Now, it can certainly earn credits but apart from that the package is just bad. For its cost, and its enjoy-ability to play, theres too many others better than it to justify buying.

I used to be the biggest FCM advocate. For the longest while, it held my best damage game in a tier 8 tank. But it really needs some help now. I feel its turret placement prevents good side-armor usage (thick tracks acting as spaced) and all the other buffs to many of the other pref MM heavy tanks (I know you know personally, but some others dont) such as the IS6, 112, WZ-111 (and kinda the SuperP) which really just skyrocketed their potential, its just a mass casualty of power creep. Then throw in the Liberte' being more effective in tier 9 battles and can hold its own in tier 10, plus all the other premium tanks being available at a much more reasonable cost, even without pref MM...? Its been power creeped so hard IMO. The value of the tank just isn't there anymore at this time

The KV-5 is a weird one for me. Heres why: Players like you are special in the KV-5. In your hands, its an utter beast because you know how to hide that R2D2 and wiggle. And, its massive. But, you're also not the average player. The average player knows that the lower front on many tanks is a weak spot. But, they also do nothing to hide it 90% of the time. Meanwhile, that lower front is SO much smaller than the freaking R2D2. When I say "meme potential" Im not saying a tank is bad by any stretch. Im saying the potential is there if the tank is min/maxed for hilarious fun shit to happen while playing it. Like, driving ass-first into a bunch of tier 6's. 

CDC Ive been debating taking it down further and probably will. I love mine. I adore mine. I have like some 400 SH battles and god knows how many pubs in mine. Come out 18mo earlier than it did, probably one of the better historical tanks in the game. 
I can hardly drag myself to play it these days, even though Im so close to a 5th skill for my batchat

Yeah need to move the AT-15A up. I keep forgetting it has pref MM now. When I last played it, it could still see tier 9's and had less HP

Im looking forward to the Panther M10 buffs

I feel like the Super Pershing should be rated higher, especially after the pen buff.  190 base pen means I actually no longer 2-2 in the spawn circle.  Its certainly got hugely creeped by the 26E5, but its also the least expensive pref 8.  

So, T-34-85M...Buffed alpha, pen, gun handling to Rudy levels...gave it Cromwell B view range and DPM (they left the ROF the same even with alpha buff!)

Worse mobility than Rudy and Cromwell B, but armor profile is better.

Is this gud tenk now?