Joel47

Is there a "he fired" mod?

I don't need an actual reload timer (I can count), but since I run with lots of details (smoke, exhaust, etc.) it can be difficult to see which tank fired. The sounds help a bit, but there are large-bore guns, and large-bore guns. Does anyone know of a mod that will simply highlight a tank's OTM for a second when it fires? I figure there's no way that could be ruled illegal, since it's information delivered by the client (that the client covers up on max graphics).

Did you just assume the gender of all tanks?

rTWDmuc.gif?noredirect

Seriously though, never heard of a mod like that, seems a bit too niche. Just turn off some details or pay more attention. It's not that hard.

45 minutes ago, Joel47 said:

I don't need an actual reload timer (I can count), but since I run with lots of details (smoke, exhaust, etc.) it can be difficult to see which tank fired. The sounds help a bit, but there are large-bore guns, and large-bore guns. Does anyone know of a mod that will simply highlight a tank's OTM for a second when it fires? I figure there's no way that could be ruled illegal, since it's information delivered by the client (that the client covers up on max graphics).

There is an OTM reload timer mod the would allow you to keep track. It doesn't highlight but I guess you could dip into modding and tweak it?

I know about that, but all OTM reload mods were ruled illegal today. While I could mod it, it would likely have the same or similar signature as the original.

I'm struggling to think of what settings you have turned on that make it difficult to tell who fired? I've been playing WoT at stupidly large resolutions on max settings for years now and I have never encountered this. The only ones I can think of would be garbage like motion blur and whatever stupid screen filter effects are in the client. Which just about everyone turns off because they look like shit and detract from game play. What specifically is it you're having a hard time seeing?

It's nowhere near all the time, but two tanks close together are hard for me to separate if I'm not looking right at them. It's probably just tunnel vision and I need to do better at multitasking, but when smoke builds up from lots of tanks firing, I don't always see which tank it was.

That sounds more likely. I know at the height of my skill (back when I regularly sported 70%/3000+ recents, like over a year ago) it was all just reflexive. Just by how a tank moved and how long it had been since one of them fired I always just knew which in a group had just fired. I also used a gun sound mod because this was back when all the gun sounds were shit, but that also helped, as I knew all the gun sounds by heart and the mod made them all sound different. Like Brit 120MM sounded different than US 120mm, 105mm meds sounded diferent than all the Russian 100mm, etc. I don't think a mod is the way to go. Especially with the client being as good as it is now.

8 hours ago, Joel47 said:

I know about that, but all OTM reload mods were ruled illegal today. While I could mod it, it would likely have the same or similar signature as the original.

Oh right, I missed that. Just saw it now. Woops.

14 hours ago, TheLovePanda said:

Kewei seems to manage and he can't even hear when tanks fire.

Hide contents

the easiest fix is to git gud

Audio is for nerds. I can't stand the in game noises :QBSeal:

How can people manage WITHOUT sounds, you react to sound faster than anything else and it helps immensely when you hear that shot sound from the enemy tank, or the bounce on you or whatever. You recognize the sound a lot faster than you will recognize the tracer or the marker that someone shot you.

6 hours ago, Stige said:

How can people manage WITHOUT sounds, you react to sound faster than anything else and it helps immensely when you hear that shot sound from the enemy tank, or the bounce on you or whatever. You recognize the sound a lot faster than you will recognize the tracer or the marker that someone shot you.

I have been playing on muted sounds for fps reasons for w few months and the only thing I was missing was hearing shots next or behind me.
If something shoots and misses you (e.g. arty) it isnt displayed on your screen but you can hear it.

The sound if something gets spotted can also be useful to increase situation awareness but isn't crucial. Everything else is just distraction.

28 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

I have been playing on muted sounds for fps reasons for w few months and the only thing I was missing was hearing shots next or behind me.
If something shoots and misses you (e.g. arty) it isnt displayed on your screen but you can hear it.

The sound if something gets spotted can also be useful to increase situation awareness but isn't crucial. Everything else is just distraction.

The sound engine hasn't affected FPS for a long while now?

1 minute ago, Stige said:

The sound engine hasn't affected FPS for a long while now?

Oh it has for me. May also have something to do with the Mac wrapper. 

With sounds turned off (not just muted, but really off) my fps was 10-20 higher, especially when running team speak or music simultaneously.

Sometimes the audio breaks up when there are many people on my ts channel while playing WoT. 

That may have something to do with my sound card too, but Macs are known for having very good sound cards so it can only be the processor.

45 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

Oh it has for me. May also have something to do with the Mac wrapper. 

With sounds turned off (not just muted, but really off) my fps was 10-20 higher, especially when running team speak or music simultaneously.

Sometimes the audio breaks up when there are many people on my ts channel while playing WoT. 

That may have something to do with my sound card too, but Macs are known for having very good sound cards so it can only be the processor.

Mac :serb:

Well there is the problem right there. Nothing to do with WOT if shitty Macs can't handle few sounds. Now go buy a real PC.

2 hours ago, Stige said:

Mac :serb:

Well there is the problem right there. Nothing to do with WOT if shitty Macs can't handle few sounds. Now go buy a real PC.

No thanks, I prefer not to have viruses, crashes and an interface that looks like lego :doge: 

350.jpg

19 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

No thanks, I prefer not to have viruses, crashes and an interface that looks like lego :doge: 

350.jpg

This guy, fucking apple fanbois :D

f6d4cea57a6f81ea.jpg

On 11/8/2016 at 1:27 PM, Joel47 said:

I don't think that would be legal under the new policy, though there is some grey area (I know, big surprise.) The policy, as written:

• Alerting you when spotted vehicles are reloading, including displaying an enemy's reloading timer

The mod you're describing would, for a brief time, alert you that the tank is reloading. I don't think it would be a safe assumption that a "just fired" indicator would be treated as something other than a "this tank just went on reload" indicator.

I think it's OK (or I wouldn't have proposed it) because it's simply making clear something I could accomplish by turning down my details. I suppose, though, that it should be limited to only note tanks that fire in my current field of view -- I can see the advantage gained if it's tanks you can't see.

Yeah I think it would be fine if it's a visual indicator matching the time of firing.

perhaps trying to mod on of the visual effects to be more obvious, like make the muzzle flash different?  I was going to suggest a bright red circle but it sort of already is :)