Salsaheaven

Why don't you use the vbaddict uploader?

Question

Hi there, friendly Unicum Poasters.

In my ever lasting quest of finding replays of really good players and analyze them, why does no one of you (that i know of) just use the vbaddict uploader and gives me ALL YOUR REPLAYS?

It's quite labour intensive to search for them at all different locations.

21 answers to this question

While watching replays is helpful, watching hundreds of them is time consuming and have diminishing return. The replay section of this forum is pretty concentrated. The next step would be to platoon with good players and learn in person.

One might think that the very best players of World of Tanks are completely dominating every game they get into. This is however not the case. Although I haven't seen any of your tank specific statistics I would guess even the best player won't do even twice as much damage as you on most tanks. World of Tanks is such a slow game which doesn't reward relfexes and quick multitasking. This means that the difference in battle performance between the very top and the average player isn't even close to that off lets say, FPS games. If you are expecting all the replays of the top players to be pure gold, you are gonna be sad to find out that the few replays you actually find are usually the very best they have produced in thousands of games.

I could start uploading my replays automatically, however, you'll be surpriced to see how many times i do less than a 5th of my average damage in tanks due to epically bad suicide rushes and how most of my games just looks easy and not even slightly challenging. I think this goes for most players. One thing you could have a look at is the survive ratio of different players. There are different strategies to use in order to make your team win. There is the tactic which I honestly find quite boring of just staying alive for long and try to deal damage without risking taking any yourself, or you could go aggresively and hunt the damage. The first and boring tactic should obviously be applied when you are in a bottom tier and can't really be asked to push the two tiers higher enemy tanks back, however, I see plenty of top players putting this to use whilst playing as the top tier tank in their battles.

I think that if you'd been able to see most top players games you would be sad to find out that this is how most of the battles are played, at least on the EU server. 

On your request I will start uploading the replays to vbaddict for a few days, starting tonight... if i can figure out how to do it...

Cheers,
EJ

One might think that the very best players of World of Tanks are completely dominating every game they get into. This is however not the case. Although I haven't seen any of your tank specific statistics I would guess even the best player won't do even twice as much damage as you on most tanks. World of Tanks is such a slow game which doesn't reward relfexes and quick multitasking. This means that the difference in battle performance between the very top and the average player isn't even close to that off lets say, FPS games. If you are expecting all the replays of the top players to be pure gold, you are gonna be sad to find out that the few replays you actually find are usually the very best they have produced in thousands of games.

I could start uploading my replays automatically, however, you'll be surpriced to see how many times i do less than a 5th of my average damage in tanks due to epically bad suicide rushes and how most of my games just looks easy and not even slightly challenging. I think this goes for most players. One thing you could have a look at is the survive ratio of different players. There are different strategies to use in order to make your team win. There is the tactic which I honestly find quite boring of just staying alive for long and try to deal damage without risking taking any yourself, or you could go aggresively and hunt the damage. The first and boring tactic should obviously be applied when you are in a bottom tier and can't really be asked to push the two tiers higher enemy tanks back, however, I see plenty of top players putting this to use whilst playing as the top tier tank in their battles.

I think that if you'd been able to see most top players games you would be sad to find out that this is how most of the battles are played, at least on the EU server. 

On your request I will start uploading the replays to vbaddict for a few days, starting tonight... if i can figure out how to do it...

Cheers,

EJ

1) I would LOVE to see all your replays.

2) I've watched your stream. You dominate 98% of the games you win, regardless of tier difference. And that "just looks easy and not even slightly challenging" bit. That is because you're one of the best players in the game. If you put a full-time potato like me, in your tanks, with your crews in the EXACT same matches... I'm going to win about 50% of the time (DAT CREW!!!). So watching my own replays and yours can't possibly make me worse. ;)

I am very very limited in what software I install. I have considered running my own uploader but haven't gotten there yet.

Then again I'm not sure how many of my games are fit for consumption

I'm sorry, I just couldn't figure it out, could someone link to the program I need to install? I uploaded the games I played this session in a .rar archive, average exp after 35 games of panther and t-54 was 1438. 

http://speedy.sh/WRgc6/Replays-220813.rar

Cheers,
EJ

Hey, thanks for your time on this. The uploader is right here: http://www.vbaddict.net/wot.php?do=upload

Once uploaded, you can sort your games and replays after whichever stat you want to. Not to forget the awesome "mini" replay feature.If you didn't check that yet, there's also a heat map function incoming.:-)

http://www.vbaddict.net/wot.php?do=upload

Click on the active dossier uploader link near the top of the page.

87h23wmwkzzihxj6g.jpg

Once you download it you may just want to add it to the startup folder so it loads automatically when you boot up your computer.

Once it is running you'll want to select the dossier you want it to upload and then click on the configuration button and then select "Enable uploading of battle results and replays".  You may also have to choose the replay directory, but I think it defaults to the WoT replay folder.  You'll see other options that you can select as well.

I hope this helps.

The best players still lose almost a third of their games.

Of the two thirds they do win, about half of those they didn't really carry (30% base win rate)

Of the 33% they carry, maybe a third would be considered hard carries.

Of the 11% hard carries, less than a third would be good for posting.

Of the 3 in 100 games that are good for posting, it's not even likely that one is worth a full annotation.

Consider that in 8000 games, I've found two battles I would have considered "Illustrative examples, one was my M46 proof of concept post, the other was an M7 vision control fight which got corrupted.

Pretty much all of my games are bland, despite winning nearly 90% of the times.

Pick a direction,

Control a section of the map.

Solidify my position.

Force enemies into corners.

Wait for pubbie teammate to catch up.

Swarm the holed-up enemy.

Never had a single 10k, even 7k+ game in my tier 10, nor a 6k+ on my tier 8 and rarely 9.

I upload to vbaddict, but I am pretty sure it only uses them to track your spotted damage per game, for example, or credits gained per minute, etc.I am pretty sure there is no way to downlaod replays through vbaddict.

Thanks for those replays EJ.

Of the two thirds they do win, about half of those they didn't really carry (30% base win rate)

Of the 3 in 100 games that are good for posting, it's not even likely that one is worth a full annotation.

Consider that in 8000 games, I've found two battles I would have considered "Illustrative examples, one was my M46 proof of concept post, the other was an M7 vision control fight which got corrupted.

I'm not arguing your math (cuz I'm too stoopid to know what it means), but your perspective.

What you consider "good for posting" and "illustrative examples" vs. what I consider "good for learning how a good player thinks" are entirely different metrics. That's why I watch EJ and Quickybaby and Anfield. It's not for their "epic carry" games. It's for how they approach each game. Something in their minds works differently and better than mine at tanks. Watching what they do, game on game on game, gives me hope that I can absorb some of their thinking.

It's not about an illustration of game technique. It's about a demonstration of intent.

My $.02.

While watching replays is helpful, watching hundreds of them is time consuming and have diminishing return. The replay section of this forum is pretty concentrated. The next step would be to platoon with good players and learn in person.

I 99% agree. Watching "hundreds" at a time is counter productive. But watching a few each day is not.

And as to platooning with better players... wow do I have some experience with that now, and would like to offer some full-time potato insight:

Last night Agamemneon and sr360 were kind enough to put this potato into their oven-platoon to try to help it.

First of all, THANK YOU BOTH. I can't ever repay your kindness, but I'll try to think of a way.

Second: a platoon with better players (particularly players THAT MUCH better than you, holy cow) is a pressure cooker for people wanting to get better at the "basics." I spent most of my time trying not to let the unicums down. I have the replays and the memories, and learned a few new map tactics on the fly, but the real gold of that night is going to be found in the replays.

I only wish I'd had a way to record the TS because... the way that truly great players think, see the map and communicate is the most valuable part of the platoon, imho.

Maybe that's just me

I upload to vbaddict, but I am pretty sure it only uses them to track your spotted damage per game, for example, or credits gained per minute, etc.I am pretty sure there is no way to downlaod replays through vbaddict.

Thanks for those replays EJ

You can absolutely download replays from vbaddict.  It doesn't use the replays for any purpose other than for the battle simulator.  Right under it is a download button to get the replay.

Here's one of EJ's battles.  Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a link to download the replay.

I think replays, without any sort of context/annotation, are a bit of a double edged sword.  Maybe you see a uni go to a spot you weren't aware of before.  You start going to that spot, but don't enjoy the same kind of success that you saw in the replay, because:

1.  Knowing where they go, without understanding WHY they went there, is of little benefit.

2.  Most positions require a bit of luck.  I've had great games from shit positions, simply because the enemy derped into me.  I would never recommend going to that position, but if you see it done successfully once....

If you do watch replays, remember those points.  Don't just watch where people go, ask yourself WHY they went there.  If you can't answer that question, you can always post it here :)

I agree in theory but not with math, depending on if the #s are solor or tooned.

The best players lose(at least in platoon) 20% or less. The best players solo lose apprx 30%.

I am very very limited in what software I install. I have considered running my own uploader but haven't gotten there yet.

Then again I'm not sure how many of my games are fit for consumption

The vbaddict uploader is just a little exe file, no need to install it. :)

I think im uploading them correctly now, could anyone check if its working? :> I really dont know how to...

You upload all your games now. Thanks a lot EJ. There is a Little button in the uploader which says "visit Profile" or sth similar.

Thanks for those replays EJ.

You can download every replay from vbaddit you uploaded. Just tinker around with it a bit. The design is not the real strength of that Website, the Option to Analyse the games is though. Check out the neat built in battle replay function. ;)

Overall I have to agree with derpinator. While my 60 days stats are not rubbish anymore, i can still learn a ton from replays. You purples get your stats not from carrying Ultra hard every game, but from doing very very few potatoe games and doing well on a constant base. I would be satisfied enough to get to the Point where I can do well on  very constant base. And some routes, map knowledge or General appoaches to games would help me with that. I Need your average games to learn, too.

Thanks for everyone taking part in this Topic, and excuse them random capitalization please. autocorrect sucks.

In theory, I'm using the VBAddict uploader.

In practise, it's broken 3/4 of the time and hasn't uploaded any replays or results for me in over a week.

I can only speak for the handful of people I know, but most don't use it since the auto upload of replays is consistently broken. The nightly downtime vbaddict has also causes a .net exception that blows the queue out of the water, so if your client crashed to desktop you have to manually move the backup battle result, dossier and replay files to the working directory and have it re-queue them. It's a great tool, but has some occasional issues. 

I think if they added a watcher that could compare missed battles it would help with the consistency of the data. I am very anal about uploading all of my dossier, battle results and replays, but still have ones that are missing from the site. That makes the stats wrong when verifying wn7 manually from the wg api, along with noobmeter, wotlabs and vbaddict. I work with marpreduced datasets in hadoop, so having to manage the data consistency from the client side is a bit of a chore. 

If there was an option to sync your files to an amazon s3 bucket and have a background process that lazily parsed them it would clean things up on the queue processing side of things. I have been working on dossier and replay parsing to create a map reduction routine, but its not very much fun. I would like to write a routine that sits client side that creates a client side mapreduction process that serializes the data structure for dossier and battle results, then the post-processing on the web interfaces wouldn't be so taxing (and cheaper to store). 

I use Junction Master to ntfs junction my replay folder to an NFS share I have as a Google Drive folder, so I keep all of my dossiers and replays locally, as well as backed up. I would love to be able to have a compare tool to see what's missing, instead of manually doing so. The amount of work required to maintain close to accurate information is a chore, so having to manually upload the replays in ADU is the likely culprit.

Note:

My original account : UfoRia (Gave to kids since they have played 1.5k games on it, their results are an indicator why)

In theory, I'm using the VBAddict uploader.

In practise, it's broken 3/4 of the time and hasn't uploaded any replays or results for me in over a week.

I just started using it and it seems to stop working sometimes for me as well. Usually, you can toggle the "Go Online" button or whatever it is called and it will give it a kick and start uploading battle results again unless there is a server issue. I have a bunch of failed battle results that never uploaded but I think that's because I didn't notice it had stopped working for a day or two.