Joyrider216

T26E5: Making Freedom Great Again

D8tm3I5.png

The T26E5 Freedom Delivery Platform

Before we get to far into this review, lets get in the proper mood 

Now that you are properly prepared, lets jump right into the review.

Armor

The T26E5 is an odd machine. Its armor is something of a cross between a T32 and a Pershing. Lets take a look at the armor models. (these aren't %100 accurate, once tanks.gg updates, the OP will be updated.)

WvhyJK7.jpg

NITnKiG.jpg

The turret isn't as strong as the T32's. While it is respectable and blocks just about everything, there are some RNG moments that random shots will punch through somewhere it really shouldn't. The cupola is very much like the T32's, 330 HEAT rounds have trouble penetrating it because of the weird angles and armor values. With the typical USA -10 degrees gun depression, this turret will hold its own on ridges and quick pokes. Be aware that the sides of the turret are like the Pershing, they aren't very heavily armored and if someone has your side as you poke, they will have easy shots on you. The frontal hull makes it very easy to bully lower tiers and tanks with 175 pen or less. You might get some troll bounces, but the armor doesn't hold up terribly well against higher pen guns. Your side armor will allow you to sidescrape if you have to, but it won't hold up versus higher tier guns. The top armor makes this a squishy target to artillery, but the small profile and high mobility allow you do the arty dance and avoid shells to some extent.

Firepower

This is where it gets odd, the T25E6 carries a 90mm gun. This gives you a 5.8 second reload with 230 base penetration and very smooth gun handling. If you happen to need more penetration, the premium APCR has 259mm of penetration. The base .36 dispersion and 2.21 second aim time  give you the typical US comfort handling. Here is a comparison with the other tier 8 US tanks.

b7R5MXG.jpg

Even with no equipment, you can see that the DPM on the T25E6 outclasses every other tank, especially the T34. 

Loadout and Skills

ixS0oRG.jpg

I would suggest running V. stabs and rammer as essential equipment. Personally, I prefer having the extra view range that optics offers, but a valid argument can be made for ventilation instead. With the high base penetration, I decided to go with the 50/16/4 split.  I typically don't carry that much HE, but as of late, there have been a lot of paper tanks running around, and with the fast reload, getting the extra damage is more worth it. Since I wanted to boost the DPM and control more, cola was the natural option. In 33 games, I was lit on fire 3 times, so training firefighting is definitely recommended.

skX6bGJ.jpg

In terms of crew deaths, the driver and gunner die very often. Going for BiA and repairs is a given. Gunnery skills accentuate the already good soft stats and stack with your cola. I trained up Safe Stowage because I got annoyed with the ammo rack damage. Its a very cookie cutter setup with no real surprises.

Playstyle and Profitability

I wasn't sure how to handle this tank when I started out. The mobility was much better than what I would have expected. The T32 and Pershing seemed to have had a love-child, the mobility is squarely in between both of those tanks. It reminded me of a compact, forward turreted 215b with how the gun performed and how the turret holds up to fire. Being able to speedily take a ridge or early position, and hold it with your fast reload and depression makes you a force to be reckoned with. In something like a T34, if you fire, everyone will poke and take potshots on you, but in the T25E6, you can pop them right back and track them in the open for your team to rip apart. Because you can take core positions and hold them, this tank is really good at influencing games for the better. I'm not very good at this whole winning thing, but solo (with some platooned with

@rojo180I was able to pull 79% win rate. Profitability was surprising, if I hadn't been running cola, I would have made an extra 660k over the games I played. I attached the games I played, but would suggest waiting for Carbonward or Mort to put out replays to enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_n8hiQ2Krv8RG13bG1PUl9mSXc

BzEKcZ5.jpg

Verdict:

+ High DPM and US comfort handling

+ Armored turret and -10 depression

+ Nimble mobility to flex

+ Freedom paint job

+ Profitable and cheap to run

- Prone to catch artillery shells

- Frequent crew deaths

- Literally making negative things up because this tank is near perfect but I can't say that out loud

Overall: 9.5/10

If you have even an inkling of maybe getting this tank, get it!

My biggest problem to date is I seem to get over extended due to the mobility. While I make a valiant stand, and my tomatoes arrive too late to help me, I usually go purple on damage, and make 40K or more on a loss. Wins are stupendous with money raining down from the sky in torrents.

I lost 6 battles in a row in first deployments, then I started playing a bit more conservative, have pulled it back up to 47/48 . . . but even with the stupendous stand off capability, I can't get my tomatoes to help me out, I am not getting decent teams with this, and I am not good enough to carry.

However, it is very rewarding to play, and bouncing Grille 15's off the turret is funny!

P.S. Is there a place to look at after battle stats for this, even though many have not been published? Just want to gather some data till Expected values and others get updated . . . thanks.

2 hours ago, Joyrider216 said:

Firepower

This is where it gets odd, the T25E6 carries a 90mm gun. This gives you a 5.8 second reload with 230 base penetration and very smooth gun handling. If you happen to need more penetration, the premium APCR has 259mm of penetration. The base .36 dispersion and 2.21 second aim time  give you the typical US comfort handling. Here is a comparison with the other tier 8 US tanks.

b7R5MXG.jpg

Your Non-premium tanks are stock. That is fine with T32 (90 mm gun is better choice & more relevant to compare with T26E5), but your Pershing is running M1A1.

19 minutes ago, CarbonWard said:

Skorpion can't be massed in Tier 8 stronk, while this thing can pretty much replace IS3 along with the Liberte.

Yeah, well, guess we then need to wait till WG buffs IS3, to make sure it stays relevant in all game modes!

Nerf.jpg?itok=0ZnRaSP7

1 minute ago, Errants said:

Man, I either need a sugar daddy, or these to be available for gold.

Want.

Fear not!  We'll be drilling for oil and mining coal in your back yard soon.  Think of all they money you'll make!  The environment is a fake Chinese conspiracy.  Oil and coal and JOBS are real.