Acumen

9.17 overmatch mechanic changes

1 hour ago, clownshoes2 said:

Is there an easy way to see which tanks have which medals instead of going through 1 by 1?

This website:

http://wot.ctocopok.ru/__oo.php

You can upload your dossier file found in: C:\Users\______\AppData\Roaming\Wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks\dossier_cache (it should have multiple .dat files, the most recent having the date of your lats game)

You can choose .csv or just view on brower, it looks like this:

RU_stats_site.png

Its using a mix of russian and english, so finding what is what is a bit hard, you can also compare tanks in detial and see other stuff (like most killed tanks, or battle time, my most killed tank is IS3 for example + it shows tanks you have killed yet aswell)

After playing last night and actually paying attention to this, I'm going to slightly change my opinion.  The whole overmatch mechanic does sort of seem to almost have been a fan service for 122mm communist guns, perhaps eliminating it is a little bit of unconscious acknowledgment of commy bias being dialed back.  Having a 112 abuse the turret roof of my T32 with impunity was enough to change my mind on this.  

54 minutes ago, Archaic_One said:

After playing last night and actually paying attention to this, I'm going to slightly change my opinion.  The whole overmatch mechanic does sort of seem to almost have been a fan service for 122mm communist guns, perhaps eliminating it is a little bit of unconscious acknowledgment of commy bias being dialed back.  Having a 112 abuse the turret roof of my T32 with impunity was enough to change my mind on this.  

You mean trying to abuse your turret roof while you sat there with impunity? Sorry, can't tell if you meant the 112 had a hell of a time penning you, or penned you easily. I am dumb. Thanks,

No, he was a very good player (8K PR), we were on either side of the of the little ridge of the 1 line heavy brawling area on Tundra and he kept hammering shots into my turret roof over and over during a 5 v 5 brawl.  I was bobbing and weaving, but he was a bit higher than me and I guess its an easy shot if you're good enough.  It was one of those situations where trying to back up would have exposed my hull . . . 

Anyway, the point being that a lot of the overmatch mechanics seem as if they were tailor made to allow 122mm Russian guns to abuse NATO sides/roofs.

6 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

No, he was a very good player (8K PR), we were on either side of the of the little ridge of the 1 line heavy brawling area on Tundra and he kept hammering shots into my turret roof over and over during a 5 v 5 brawl.  I was bobbing and weaving, but he was a bit higher than me and I guess its an easy shot if you're good enough.  It was one of those situations where trying to back up would have exposed my hull . . . 

Anyway, the point being that a lot of the overmatch mechanics seem as if they were tailor made to allow 122mm Russian guns to abuse NATO sides/roofs.

Yeah i mean, just sitting there where you're almost inmune to a same tier heavy is super fair and balanced, let's force him to either spam HE while you pen him, or flan... oh wait that can't be done thanks to WG map desing. I agree russians benefit the most from this but i think it actually makes playing with tier VII's or VIII's with VII's guns bereable, also the sole idea of being able to systematically bounce off a leo 1 is more than retarded, and then imagine being in your t32 trying to pen a hull down IS-3 that's not below you (now it's already a fucking gamble with the terrible dispersion the T32 has), good luck comarade (or a reverse sidescrapping IS-4 xD)!

I'm not sure you got my point chai friend.  The point is that a lot of the made up armor values for pixel tank sides/roofs seem to be rather conveniently overmatchable by 122 mm guns.  Now there is no real world correlation for the concept of large caliber rounds overmatching armor at shallow angles, so one might wonder if perhaps WG was appealing to their base when they fabricated it.  The point is that my 90mm gun could not pen him on the roof or anywhere else but his cupola, whereas his 122mm gun autopens if it touches my roof.  

FWIW, if we were to get into an HE flinging battle, guess what - his 122mm gun rapes my 90mm gun there too.  

I'm not mad about it, and I'm fine with or without it - i'm just pointing out that its curious that NATO tanks don't get 120mm guns til tier 9 and the commies get 122s at tier 6 and a LOT of tanks have about +/-40mm roof/side armor.

2 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

Will this change affect heat in any way?

Not directly. HEAT only bounces off at 85 degrees or more so it still can pen paper armor at all angles less than 85, so I imagine people would load more cHEAT rounds.

1 hour ago, Acumen said:

yeah, I saw that

I wish the faggot would be a bit more clear

13 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

What world do you live in where 8K PR is a good player?

4 hours ago, Stige said:

I think it depends on own level of WN8 :P. There is some corelation between WN8 and PR so You can assume (and usually You should be quite close) that somebody with 6000+ will be green, somebody with 7000+ should be blue etc..

And now from PoV of 1500 wn8, any blue player is better then us, so...

TLDR: nobody thinks about him- /her- self "I am bad", the worst is average, so if I am average anyone better then me is good :P.

@Machiav Somewhere in the WN9 discussion topic it was stated, that 8k PR is the starting point of the blue, which is "very good"/ "great" by naming. So you are not completely wrong, but in this forum people mostly refer to these skill levels by color, and blue isn't actually considered to be very good or great.

3 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

@Machiav Somewhere in the WN9 discussion topic it was stated, that 8k PR is the starting point of the blue, which is "very good"/ "great" by naming. So you are not completely wrong, but in this forum people mostly refer to these skill levels by color, and blue isn't actually considered to be very good or great.

Denomination and relative are a key words here... 

We had a big discussion here on wotlabs about naming scale and finally we came up with (we = wotlabs, not me personally ;) ) scale that is shown on wotlabs.net. According to it:

Very Bad
Bad
Below Average
Average
Above Average
Good
Very Good
Great
Unicum
Super Unicum

So as You already noticed blue = "very good", by naming convention. If, and this is a big if, we are comparing this player skill level to overall player base. If we are comparing it to wotlabs level it would be slighty different, like (of course this is just a schema):

Bot
Bot
Bot
Bot
Smart bot
Smart bot
Can read
Can read & write
Average
Good

But as @Archaic_One was describing wot battle which was played in context of overall player base, then 8000 PR (equal more or less blue level) is a very good player. So to answer @Stige this was the NA cluster, to be more precise "first world". And of course if @Stige would play this battle (assuming that he is 10000 PR) he could say what a noob guy he got 2000 less PR then me...

TLDR: yep, You are right, I just want to copy & paste color tables.

Back to topic...

I am really interested how lack of overmatch will change meta. Lightly armored tanks will be more durable, meds and some HT in proper position could become harder to dig out...

I would start to worry about an IS-3 in hulldown position, but then I think about new tier X, Swedish HT and... well... doesn't matter.

He was blue, which means he was good enough to aim and it probably was not an accident.  I'm sorry I did not properly stroke your 1/10,000 epeen Sitge.  I'm not going to turn this thread into a conversation about unicum perception of a world that they populate the top 0.01% of, its been done far better by others.  I will say that roof overmatch shots are probably generally executed by at least fairly knowledgeable players, so these changes are just another WG move to protect potatoes.

So this is great news for tanks with thin armor but highly sloped, like the Leo PTA? Bring it on.

The sort of overmatch I'd like to see is when you use a high pen gun against the flank of a lightly armored tank you cant get a ****ing 'critical hit'. Round should be able to go right through it, not be stopped by the track. Ridiculous.

On 21.11.2016. at 5:55 PM, Archaic_One said:

This makes me want to buy a CDC . . .  

You don't have to now, just win showdown on WG's new awesome tournament streamed on twitch!
Because everyone loves WG and their choices regarding balance and e-sports. :)

On 23.11.2016. at 8:47 AM, Stige said:

Well, I have under 8000, am I bad player?

On 11/23/2016 at 8:23 AM, Cunicularius said:

Will this change affect heat in any way?

Most likely not, since HEAT doesn't overmatch, anyway.

i should look at the timestamp next time.

"Overmatch mechanics

Based on your input from the 1st Common Test, we decided to cancel this feature.

Initially, we planned to revise the ricochet and overmatch mechanics for all vehicles. However, tests showed that it will cause increased ricochets on thinly armored tanks (the IS-3, IS-4, etc.) that used to be generally bad at angling. This disrupted gameplay overall (a lot more ricochets where chances of them used to be zero), which you reported to us during the Common Test. We analyzed your feedback and decided to stick to the old, time-proven mechanic for all vehicles including the tier VIII–X Swedish tank destroyers."

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/601252-28-11-16-micropatch-info/page__p__13438772#entry13438772

:happyfish:

which means that Swedes are fucked, right? Although I am sad that I will not be able to bounce JPE100 shell with my CDC,