Acumen

9.17 overmatch mechanic changes

52 minutes ago, Fabunil said:

However, tests showed that it will cause increased ricochets on thinly armored tanks (the IS-3, IS-4, etc.) that used to be generally bad at angling

Wat? Are they joking or they really thinks that these tanks have thin armor?

And RIP high tier Swedish TDs. 

I wouldn´t really call it a nerf for the Swedish TDs, rather it makes their armor a lot more consistent instead of making it a guesswork of "will the shell pen at this specific angle with this specific calibre?"

40 minutes ago, WaterWar said:

If they are afriad the Swedish TDs will be bad now, then they could just increase the armour a bit to push it over the 3x overmatch-threshold for most guns - as suggested already by some people in this thread.

No, it's better to fuck them up with AP 122+ :D 

Damn 103B is 50/20mm, no comrade fun :( 

3 hours ago, WaterWar said:

If they are afriad the Swedish TDs will be bad now, then they could just increase the armour a bit to push it over the 3x overmatch-threshold for most guns - as suggested already by some people in this thread.

@WaterWar sighting <3

So, basically they invalidated this entire discussion in typical WG fashion.  The T-62a breathes a sigh of relief as it manages to stay relevant.  I wonder if they realized just how much of a nerf to 122mm guns this was going to be and decided to maintain the bias-quo.

1 hour ago, Archaic_One said:

@WaterWar sighting <3

So, basically they invalidated this entire discussion in typical WG fashion.  The T-62a breathes a sigh of relief as it manages to stay relevant.  I wonder if they realized just how much of a nerf to 122mm guns this was going to be and decided to maintain the bias-quo.

This is not about nerfing 122 mm, but also changing the balance of a lot of tanks. Every paper tank (scouts in particular due to small size) would get buffed with already heavily armoured tanks not benefitting a whole lot from it.

52 minutes ago, WaterWar said:

with already heavily armoured tanks not benefitting a whole lot from it.

Yes and no. The IS3 and IS4 definitely would have been buffed. Probably to insane levels of Russian bias but yeah tanks like e100, Maus etc would have been same old same old. 

I railed against this update but after thinking about it. My lovely leo pta would have benefited from this and I should have kept my mouth shut! :feelsbad:

10 hours ago, Acumen said:

Yes and no. The IS3 and IS4 definitely would have been buffed. Probably to insane levels of Russian bias but yeah tanks like e100, Maus etc would have been same old same old. 

I railed against this update but after thinking about it. My lovely leo pta would have benefited from this and I should have kept my mouth shut! :feelsbad:

Not like it's matter anymore, but it would have been a buff for the E100. The hull roof is an overmatch for guns with 120+mm caliber. Same goes for the JPE100.

The effect on lightly armored tanks would have been more significant, just like WaterWar said it before.

2 hours ago, TAdoo87 said:

Not like it's matter anymore, but it would have been a buff for the E100. The hull roof is an overmatch for guns with 120+mm caliber. Same goes for the JPE100.

The effect on lightly armored tanks would have been more significant, just like WaterWar said it before.

And for T29/T34 too, no more turret roof overmatches by russkie guns

I for one am happy they're cancelling the new overmatch mechanics. You could see it from a hundred miles away that it would cause more harm than good and some players also called them on this, like Velachio. WG was going to sacrifice/unbalance too much just to wedge in a single new line of tanks.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:17 PM, Acumen said:

The Chieftain posted on Reddit yesterday that this is a postponement for more development, not a cancellation.  They are simply pulling it from 9.17 and it will return after they work some more bugs out of the system.  

Edited by JenkaTamar
Tried to remove unwanted quote

WG being WG.  From Rita's Site

OVERMATCH NOT CANCELLED

Hello,

It came to my attention last night that the community, at least from the European side, had the idea that Overmatch had been cancelled.

It hasn’t. When the news initially came out it indeed said cancelled but it was a minor translation error from the EU office which since then has been rectified.

Overmatch has been postponed.

Hope this helped.

It's realistically stupid though. Penning the side of a Foch at a 179* angle and penning just because your shell is >3x the thickness is a bit silly. 

Its a video game so I dont expect (or want) complete reality/realism but when a tanks armor is completely negated by something like the above example its just stupid. I wont pretend to be able to come up with a perfect solution but its obvious that the current system needs to be reworked. I might very well be ok with the random bounce off of a scout if it meant that the sliver of an engine deck showing wouldn't be autopen. I use the current overmatch system against opponents significantly more than its used against me, but it still doesn't make it right IMO

5 hours ago, TheSovereign said:

It's realistically stupid though. Penning the side of a Foch at a 179* angle and penning just because your shell is >3x the thickness is a bit silly. 

Its a video game so I dont expect (or want) complete reality/realism but when a tanks armor is completely negated by something like the above example its just stupid. I wont pretend to be able to come up with a perfect solution but its obvious that the current system needs to be reworked. I might very well be ok with the random bounce off of a scout if it meant that the sliver of an engine deck showing wouldn't be autopen. I use the current overmatch system against opponents significantly more than its used against me, but it still doesn't make it right IMO

I'm not expert, but piece of paper can't hold something so greater? 

What's point of thick armor then... 

Funny thing is this was probably the first class buff to LT or paper tanks in general in what years? 

1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

I'm not expert, but piece of paper can't hold something so greater? 

What's point of thick armor then... 

None like the Maus proves k

49 minutes ago, nabucodonsor said:

Funny thing is this was probably the first class buff to LT or paper tanks in general in what years? 

None like the Maus proves k

No, i mean if you use too thin armor there is no way to hold big ass shell, but maybe i'm wrong...

1 hour ago, NightmareMk9 said:

Top Video, LOL.  Overmatch says what?

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/

Overmatch in both World of Tanks and WT: Ground Forces is a stupid fantasy, that's all. RL overmatch is working always when shell caliber is bigger than a thickness of plate. LINK But it's easier to create a dumb rule and keep it for years. Same with stupid HE splash ignoring armor when it comes to module dmg.

20 hours ago, BlackAdder said:

No, i mean if you use too thin armor there is no way to hold big ass shell, but maybe i'm wrong...

Yeah but at extreme angles the tip of the round isn't even hitting the armor first, the side of it would be the first to hit. it wouldn't dig in at all, it would be like skipping a stone over water. 3x Overmatch is useful to a point but I think there should be a point where it isn't valid anymore.