Sign in to follow this  
Android25

Asus Rampage V Edition 10 or MSI Godlike Carbon

I'm really split between these boards and I'm not sure which to choose. Aesthetically I like the Carbon a lot more but I'm not a huge fan of it's RGB setup. Functionally I like that the Rampage has more fan headers but other than that the boards are very similar. While I plan to SLI in the future, I don't believe that the Godlike's ability to SLI 4 cards is something I will ever need, or at least not in the time that this board will be in my computer.

Do I need a motherboard anywhere near as powerful as either of these are? No of coarse not, but I have both the money and the will to buy one so don't bother telling me it's overkill, I already know that. I'm just interested on input as which one you think would be better.

The board will initially be supporting an i7-6850K (cooled with an H100i liquid cooler), 64GB of DDR4 3000 RAM, a GTX 980 (I know, I know, I should be putting this money towards a new card, but I'm waiting for the Volta architecture next year), 500GB SSD, 1TB NVME, 3TB HHD. Will be powered by an HX1000i, and will be housed inside an Obsidian 750D.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132838 Rampage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130921 Godlike

5 hours ago, Victrix said:

why spend 500$+ on a fucking motherboard

Same reason why people spend 600-800$ every time the next generation video cards come out. If you have the money why not

Frankly at that price range, you'd be fine with either. I can't give much input since I've never used boards of that level.
It seems like the biggest thing is whether or not you'll go for more RAM in the future. X99A Godlike can hold 128GB whereas X99 Rampage holds 64GB (if i read that correctly). Performance practically looks even.

Some reviews:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-x99a-godlike-motherboard-review,1.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-x99-rampage-v-extreme-review,1.html

Even if I had the money for a motherboard like this, I wouldn't buy it.

1) It's wasted money

2) Top of the line boards are notorious for causing trouble/having a very high failure rate, because of all the shit that is slapped on to them.

3) 3 / 4 way SLI/CF is dead or pointless anyway

Having not much experience with X99 myself, I can only repeate what others have said. The current EVGA 2011-3 boards especially the EVGA X99 Classified seems to be a rock solid board. And for ~20$ you can extend the warrenty from 3 to 5 years ... .

Edit:

The 250$ you 'd safe you could use to bridge the gap between a 6 and an 8 core CPU ... and with upcoming black friday, maybe best buy will a a good deal on one of those. They "often" seem to sell CPUs under list price.

7 hours ago, yoyoya2 said:

Same reason why people spend 600-800$ every time the next generation video cards come out. If you have the money why not

implying getting a new expensive mobo alone will get you a performance increase of a next gen gpu :kappa:

1 minute ago, aaveq said:

implying getting a new expensive mobo alone will get you a performance increase of a next gen gpu :kappa:

Unlike my 100$ monster HDMI cable that show good 1080p unlike those shitty 15$ HDMI cables :kappa:

8 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Even if I had the money for a motherboard like this, I wouldn't buy it.

1) It's wasted money

2) Top of the line boards are notorious for causing trouble/having a very high failure rate, because of all the shit that is slapped on to them.

3) 3 / 4 way SLI/CF is dead or pointless anyway

Having not much experience with X99 myself, I can only repeate what others have said. The current EVGA 2011-3 boards especially the EVGA X99 Classified seems to be a rock solid board. And for ~20$ you can extend the warrenty from 3 to 5 years ... .

Edit:

The 250$ you 'd safe you could use to bridge the gap between a 6 and an 8 core CPU ... and with upcoming black friday, maybe best buy will a a good deal on one of those. They "often" seem to sell CPUs under list price.

I already bought the i7-6850K last week for $500. I was really considering 6900K but I didn't see the extra two cores being worth dropping 400MHz base clock speed. From what I've read it would seem that while newer games can utilize more cores, once you go past 4 cores it's clock speed that really affects gaming. And I don't really plan on doing 8 cores worth of multitasking work. Plus the 6900K is currently over $575 more than what I paid for the 6850K, even a good sale would have a hard time dropping it down to only $250 more than what I paid.

I actually want the extra PCIe lanes for NVME RAID more than for extra GPU's

2 hours ago, Android25 said:

I actually want the extra PCIe lanes for NVME RAID more than for extra GPU's

I like your style. If you're going over the top, go WAY over the top.

I went with the Rampage and only 32GB of 3200 CAS 14 RAM. Part of the reason was because the Godlike didn't explicitly support 3200 RAM, plus I like the extra fan control with all the fans my case has.