Jump to content
Deus__Ex__Machina

First Gaming PC...halp pls (All opinions Welcome)

Recommended Posts

So i recently redid my basement and turned it into "man-cave" of sorts and im now looking to add a gaming PC to the mix of entertainment items down there. I'll try to keep this short and simple.

Reason: i have never owned a true gaming PC, don't get me wrong.....i am by no means illiterate when it comes to gaming PC's. Though i admit my at home Toaster can only run most games on Low with a blazing 15-18 FPS. I just want to finally get something worthy of being considered a "Gaming PC" 

Budget: i am looking at 1,500-1600$ for the Tower itself, the monitor is a different story.

Performance/Specs: i am obviously not getting a top tier gaming PC with my budget. But i am hoping to play most games at 1080p 50-60 FPS, i don't care about 4K or VR in the slightest. TBH anything better than running all games on low with 15 FPS is an improvement in my Eyes. In terms of Spec's i'm hoping for at least an Intel i5 coupled with a 1070, i am also wanting a minimum of 1TB (maybe 2?) and wifi capabilities as this PC will be in my Basement (my routers upstairs)

KeyNotes: A, This being my first gaming PC i am not looking to build it from scratch, so i am preferably looking for a Pre-build/ build your own kinda thing. B. i am Not looking to rush and buy this PC during a big sale (Cyber-Monday) i can wait. C, i am VERY Open to suggestions and Opinions...this is my First Gaming PC after all.

Ideas:

1: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310

2: XVmWjo5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Super_Rybak said:

Just buy a Mac ffs

Telling someome to buy a mac for gaming is like telling someone to buy a rolls royce for Motor Racing. 

Infact, telling someone to buy a mac at all is telling them to waste their money on overpriced garbage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mac's are garbage, please don't waste money on a brand name. That being said, your budget entails something that can run a lot of games at 100+ FPS on 1440p. 

Half the fun of getting a gaming PC is building it yourself, and it isn't a huge challenge either. You sure you want a prebuilt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

@Deus__Ex__Machina im assuming $1500 US? Also, do you need the wifi card or is it optional?

(Also 1500US will buy you something pretty damn good)

yes 1500-1600 USD, and yeah the wi-fi card is kinda necessary cause i wont be putting it near my router 

12 minutes ago, Kitten said:

Mac's are garbage, please don't waste money on a brand name. That being said, your budget entails something that can run a lot of games at 100+ FPS on 1440p. 

Half the fun of getting a gaming PC is building it yourself, and it isn't a huge challenge either. You sure you want a prebuilt?

i personally don't think im ready for that just yet, ill think about it more..... but i think thats something for a future project.

And As far as that Mac comment there is a reason i chose to ignore it.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Deus__Ex__Machinacant get rid of this ~_~

5 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

yes 1500-1600 USD, and yeah the wi-fi card is kinda necessary cause i wont be putting it near my router 

Well then, lol. I had a friends build saved in pcpartpicker in NZD, switched it to USD to start one for you, and it lined up to $1500 almost perfectly lol. Added a wifi adapter and tweaked it a bit to stay in budget and here you go: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cschm8

That'll do everything you want on ultra at 120fps for the next 3 years no problem. Probably the next 4-5 years realistically. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

@Deus__Ex__Machinacant get rid of this ~_~

Well then, lol. I had a friends build saved in pcpartpicker in NZD, switched it to USD to start one for you, and it lined up to $1500 almost perfectly lol. Added a wifi adapter and tweaked it a bit to stay in budget and here you go: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cschm8

That'll do everything you want on ultra at 120fps for the next 3 years no problem. Probably the next 4-5 years realistically. 

I thought he wanted a prebuilt one o_o.

@Deus__Ex__Machina In regards to wifi, one of the biggest questions I have for you is whether or not you get stable connection at good speeds (i.e. how does it compare to being on a modem and being on wifi)? If it's significantly worse, i would recommend a wireless repeater into the budget. In any case avoid iBuyPower. They put dirt cheap stuff in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • WiFi connection from basement to upstairs is asking for trouble (house base plate - not sure if that's the correct english term, also depends on what kind of house u live in)
  • that build there seems to cut corners (no name PSU 400W) and does some other things "wrong"
  • no SSD for 1600$ o.O
  • noname WiFi

 

And if time isn't an issue I 'd at least wait till january for AMDs new Zen CPUs release.

 

That aside do you plan with a 1440p (27 inch) or 1080p (23-24") TFT?

 

Edit:

 

meh - just checked the GPU in that build :#

TURBO-GTX1080-8G_2D_500.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

I thought he wanted a prebuilt one o_o.

@Deus__Ex__Machina In regards to wifi, one of the biggest questions I have for you is whether or not you get stable connection at good speeds (i.e. how does it compare to being on a modem and being on wifi)? If it's significantly worse, i would recommend a wireless repeater into the budget.

There's not much of a difference (15 mb/s fairly stable) , though TBh if necessary i could keep it upstairs and connect it directly to the router.

 

3 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:
  • WiFi connection from basement to upstairs is asking for trouble (house base plate - not sure if that's the correct english term, also depends on what kind of house u live in)
  • that build there seems to cut corners (no name PSU 400W) and does some other things "wrong"
  • no SSD for 1600$ o.O
  • noname WiFi

 

And if time isn't an issue I 'd at least wait till january for AMDs new Zen CPUs release.

 

That aside do you plan with a 1440p (27 inch) or 1080p (23-24") TFT?

as i said above if necessary i could keep it upstairs (and the more i think about it....i might end up doing that)

In regard's to the PSU/SSD i am open to suggestions, feel free to criticize and correct me as this my first time doing this. Also it doesn't have to be from ibuypower, that was just a quick example i threw together. if you know a better site that carries better parts feel free to recommend.

i am not to sure about the monitor just yet, as i said above i was perfectly content with 1080p 60 FPS, But according to everyone here my budget can accomplish fairly stable 4K gaming....so what would you recommend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

i am not to sure about the monitor just yet, as i said above i was perfectly content with 1080p 60 FPS, But according to everyone here my budget can accomplish fairly stable 4K gaming....so what would you recommend?

Frankly building your own would be the best option. You get premium parts whereas you don't pay premium for mediocre/trash parts.

I personally like @Assassin7's build. It looks bloody solid and there isn't much you can complain about outside of a case that comes with only 1 fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Frankly building your own would be the best option. You get premium parts whereas you don't pay premium for mediocre/trash parts.

I personally like @Assassin7's build. It looks bloody solid and there isn't much you can complain about outside of a case that comes with only 1 fan.

Oh does that case come with 1 fan? Welp, ill factor that in because its also the build im doing for my friend as I said earlier xD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Build it yourself and buy a tested CPU/Mobo/RAM combo that you ll only have to implant into the case and add the other components.

 

  • When it comes to TFTs - what would be the budget for that? 27" and 144 Hz with GSync starts around 500$ if I remember US pricing correctly.
  • SSD - something solid between 240-512GB from Samsung or Crucial (MLC nand)
  • PSU 500W from a reputable brand (Seasonic - they sell 0 stinkers)

And if you stay on 1080p and keep your current TFT, safe the money and go for a 1060 6GB or RX480 8GB. At that resolution everything above 1070 is total nonsense and even that is more than questionable - if you can get a good deal on a (used) 980Ti that might be an option.

 

But as I said - if you can wait till AMD releases Zen ... (8 physical cores rumored at Haswell IPC for 300$ - beats every 6700K in my book)

 

Btw - Assassins build makes zero sense at 1080p with that GTX1080, nonsense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Assassin7 said:

Oh does that case come with 1 fan? Welp, ill factor that in because its also the build im doing for my friend as I said earlier xD

Man prices for NZ are crazy high relative to the USD. I was gonna say just buy a case fan or two and you're okay.
Then I saw they were like $19-30 each.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fulcrous said:

Man prices for NZ are crazy high relative to the USD. I was gonna say just buy a case fan or two and you're okay.
Then I saw they were like $19-30 each.

heh, that entire build is 3 grand NZD xD

im putting an H110i in his though so i suppose it'll be fine

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

is the MSI Armor GTX-1080 (8 GB) any good when compared to the other aftermarket 1080's?

They're all relatively the same. The question is whether or not you want higher base-clocks, better cooling, or better overclock potential.

ASUS generally is the best all-rounder, EVGA tends to have the highest OCs, and MSI tends to be more cool with above-average OCs.
Just looking at reviews and out of the box clocks should say enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Build it yourself and buy a tested CPU/Mobo/RAM combo that you ll only have to implant into the case and add the other components.

 

  • When it comes to TFTs - what would be the budget for that? 27" and 144 Hz with GSync starts around 500$ if I remember US pricing correctly.
  • SSD - something solid between 240-512GB from Samsung or Crucial (MLC nand)
  • PSU 500W from a reputable brand (Seasonic - they sell 0 stinkers)

And if you stay on 1080p and keep your current TFT, safe the money and go for a 1060 6GB or RX480 8GB. At that resolution everything above 1070 is total nonsense and even that is more than questionable - if you can get a good deal on a (used) 980Ti that might be an option.

 

But as I said - if you can wait till AMD releases Zen ... (8 physical cores rumored at Haswell IPC for 300$ - beats every 6700K in my book)

 

Btw - Assassins build makes zero sense at 1080p with that GTX1080, nonsense.

@Assassin7 @Fulcrous @Kitten

if i do decide to build my own i will most defiantly need a wide array of guides/how-to videos ect. i have never once attempted to build a PC from scratch so you people need to gib me some tutorial videos and shit to watch a thousand times before i decide to buy anything, cause like i said before i don't have a ton of wiggle room with the price so if i attempt to build one and fuck up i am finished. right now the main two options i see is to A; build from scratch (which i admit tingly am scared to try) or B; get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310  

Link to post
Share on other sites

EVGA also has the absolute best warranty system. 

1 minute ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

@Assassin7 @Fulcrous

if i do decide to build my own i will most defiantly need a wide array of guides/how-to videos ect. i have never once attempted to build a PC from scratch so you people need to gib me some tutorial videos and shit to watch a thousand times before i decide to buy anything, cause like i said before i don't have a ton of wiggle room with the price so if i attempt to build one and fuck up i am finished. right now the main two options i see is to A; build from scratch (which i admit tingly am scared to try) or B; get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310  

its honestly pretty easy. its mostly like lego but with computer parts, but there should be plenty of guides to help you. my PC was also my first PC build, its pretty easy to figure it out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

is the MSI Armor GTX-1080 (8 GB) any good when compared to the other aftermarket 1080's?

its one of the worst aftermarket 1080s

 

it goes like that with ( with most common problems)  | 

 

God Tier :

KFA2/Galax HOF - its like an unicorn, every review was glorious but its nowhere to be found. at least in yurop.  | 3 slot white beauty | vrm cooled by a front plate

Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming -  bent fins from early batches/fans hitting the shroud (most likely only premium pack problems) | 3 slot, has more copper than orzanel could steal | unified vrm cooling + backplate used as heatsink

Zotac Amp Extreme - hot vrm, loudish | 3 slot, longer than mandingo | small standalone vrm heatsink

Palit/Gainward JS/GR/GLH - fan bearings are not top notch, not being sold in murrica.  best Thermals/Noise/Price of Pascal generation. | 3 slot, its just big and simple | unified vrm cooling

 

Decent Tier:

Msi Gaming X - fans hitting the shroud but fans have decent bearings | vrm cooled by a front plate

 

Mid Tier:

Evga ACX - with vbios update its loud, and still has hot vrm + early batches have ISIS problem, otherwise it would be decent. | mems not cooled, vrms had no contact with radiator | evga said its fixed now

Asus Strix - decent but loudish | unified vrm cooling

Gigabyte Gaming G1 - decent but louder| unified vrm cooling

 

Meh tier:

Inno3d iChill  x4 -on paper it should be one of the best 1080s but reviews show that its just plain meh, loudish and hot,

Msi armor, loud, hot

 

Shit tier:

Zotac AMP - on paper it should be decent-ish, but its plain loud and hot

 

Founders Edition tier

MSI Aero - blower, loud, hot

Asus Turbo - blower, loud, hot

 

*the only really loud pascals are blowers, G1 gaming on high rpm(it has 80mm shitfans) or evga with new vbios(rpm goes up a lot) +  being loud outside FE tier = audible

**loudness scales with tier(*unless evga or g1)

***hot = might make turboboost not rock solid

 

 

1 hour ago, Fulcrous said:

They're all relatively the same. The question is whether or not you want higher base-clocks, better cooling, or better overclock potential.

ASUS generally is the best all-rounder, EVGA tends to have the highest OCs, and MSI tends to be more cool with above-average OCs.
Just looking at reviews and out of the box clocks should say enough.

OC @ pascals is roughly the same at every non-throthling card , additionaly you get a nice bomb with evga.

 

57 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

if i do decide to build my own i will most defiantly need a wide array of guides/how-to videos ect. i have never once attempted to build a PC from scratch so you people need to gib me some tutorial videos and shit to watch a thousand times before i decide to buy anything, cause like i said before i don't have a ton of wiggle room with the price so if i attempt to build one and fuck up i am finished. right now the main two options i see is to A; build from scratch (which i admit tingly am scared to try) or B; get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310  

its like lego, you cant fail at it unless you use conductive tim or want to delid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

@Assassin7 @Fulcrous @Kitten

if i do decide to build my own i will most defiantly need a wide array of guides/how-to videos ect. i have never once attempted to build a PC from scratch so you people need to gib me some tutorial videos and shit to watch a thousand times before i decide to buy anything, cause like i said before i don't have a ton of wiggle room with the price so if i attempt to build one and fuck up i am finished. right now the main two options i see is to A; build from scratch (which i admit tingly am scared to try) or B; get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600310.p?skuId=5600310  

YouTube is your friend. Particularly old linustechtips.vids

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if you can source all that through NewEgg. If you can, pop the extra $50.00 for a Premium account, and save yourself the hassle on returns or tech support if you decide to build your own.

Have built all my machines, currently AMD 8 core, dual MSI 760 Ti's, 16 Gig of RAM, 1000 Watt PS, but all air cooled (Zalman). Runs this game basically on Ultra or Max at 100+ FPS, I do run water and shadow quality a notch down, and screw Motion Blur that makes me want to barf. All under $1200 USD about 2 years ago. Everyone else has given you what you need . . . My 2 cents on the NewEgg portion if applicable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for building from scratch, I went into it without any clue about PCs and still made it, so it really isn't that hard if you closely follow instructions and watch some tutorial videos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...