_red_fang_

Are clans dead?

I'm just coming back from a 6 month break and it seems all of the big clans are gone and more and more players no longer have tags... wft happened? The game is 4-5 years old now... are we near the end of WOT?

From what i gather SEA now gets about a tenth of the CW payout we used to (or something similarly trivial). Partially due to increasing apathy and partially due to a few farming clans on selling the gold at a discount.

WoT isn't dead and probably won't be for another decade. If they merge USE and USW, NA will still be very playable even after a decade of player decline. Add in WG's deep pockets and WoT being absurdly lucrative and you've got yourself a case of the WoW.

Can't speak on clans because I've been out of the scene for a year or two, but I'm under the impression that drastic changes need to happen for the NA clan scene to survive past another year or two.

6 hours ago, Ezz said:

From what i gather SEA now gets about a tenth of the CW payout we used to (or something similarly trivial). Partially due to increasing apathy and partially due to a few farming clans on selling the gold at a discount.

For asia: east front 20k gold pot, 40k for west

http://worldoftanks.asia/en/clanwars/rating/alley/#wot&aof_front=campaign_05_sg_west&aof_rating=clans&aof_filter=all&aof_page=0&aof_size=25

For eu: 500k gold pot

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/clanwars/rating/alley/#wot&aof_front=campaign_05_eu_west&aof_rating=clans&aof_filter=all&aof_page=0&aof_size=25

Rank 70 EU clan gets more gold (42.5k) than 1st in the western front in asia (40k)

15 minutes ago, Omnomnom said:

Not to mention its clan license and not individual license.

Clans in WoT are dying, but the clans themselves as communities are not IMO.  Fortunately teamspeak and slack help as hangouts keeping clans together during these bleah WoT days.

If WoT improves, we'll see clans come back in force.  The problem being is that WoT probably won't improve lol

1 hour ago, Shifty_101st said:

Clans in WoT are dying, but the clans themselves as communities are not IMO.  Fortunately teamspeak and slack help as hangouts keeping clans together during these bleah WoT days.

If WoT improves, we'll see clans come back in force.  The problem being is that WoT probably won't improve lol

imo atm most cw clans only ever appear en masse during clan war prime times, and other times kind of dead, but with always enough people on for platoons.

Gone are the days when you would have loads of people playing wot together for hours, though strongholds kind of helps with that as you get to grind credits without having to touch pubs.

Problem is that a lot of clan war players do not play pubs at all anymore as you can just grind credits and free exp in strongholds and free exp to tier x(or play 6 8 in sh and free exp 1-5,7 and 9)

4 hours ago, HemanathanRX7 said:

imo atm most cw clans only ever appear en masse during clan war prime times, and other times kind of dead, but with always enough people on for platoons.

Gone are the days when you would have loads of people playing wot together for hours, though strongholds kind of helps with that as you get to grind credits without having to touch pubs.

Problem is that a lot of clan war players do not play pubs at all anymore as you can just grind credits and free exp in strongholds and free exp to tier x(or play 6 8 in sh and free exp 1-5,7 and 9)

On sea, often i was finding the queues for strongholds took ages, with only 2-3 clans playing them. they only are good between 6-9pm, so if you want to play the rest of the weekend, pubs it is.

Oh and i played strongholds with my old clan for a bit a few days ago. its amazing seeing how unflexible and unwilling to out position people they are.... i guess thats something i had to learn to, but they've had thousands of battles to, and im not sure they will...

On 11/27/2016 at 11:09 PM, zapyoug said:

the new "active" is basically the old "dead" as far as clans go

^

WOT is far from done, as Rexxie mentions the pubbing aspect will carry on for many years to come. And as long as there is some amount of gold to be gotten via clan wars there will continue to be clans going after it.

However, the high end of clan competition is pretty dead at this point (on NA). Most of the best players either don't play the game anymore or rarely play it. The few that do still play will usually only show up for clan activities with a high payout for the effort (like clan league). Clan wars just isn't worth the time for the amount of gold it pays out.

The competitive aspect isn't worth getting excited about either. It used to be worth talking about a top 5 or top 10 or top 30 clan. Today a "Top 5" clan probably wouldn't even be top 10 two years ago. The best clan is BULBA by a significant margin, at least in a tournament format (basically anything that doesn't require prolonged play or more than one or two teams). The next couple clans down can usually field an okay-ish A-team but not a whole lot more.

Basically, the pool of talented players has been dwindling for quite a few years and the people replacing them tend to be pub stars and generally garbage at organized play.