BiggieD61

The New Campaign feature in 5.15

It's kind of like Project R and the pearls without all the annoying mission resets each week.  There are a lot of missions and a lot of good rewards that can earned by normal play.  I started putzing around with the beginner campaign and earned a lot of free xp, and 125 gold in the first two mission groups.  Apparently a tier 6 premium DD is up for grabs as well in the veteran campaign.  I like the design of it so far - not too intrusive or "tail chasing" for the mission stats.

Apparently one can get any of the unobtained ARP ships this month in a last chance promo.  I didn't bother with the Takao because I already had the Atago and got burned out for the first 3 weeks of November.  Still, it's a nice chance for some of the very newest players to earn some keepers - or anime refugees .....

Edit: OMG - I initially put 9.15 - total WoT teaser as a Freudian slip!

51 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

This is actually a really smart way of encouraging people out of T7 so that the T5/6 matchmaking improves.

This would be true IF both campaigns didn't allow you to play lower than T8, The first one has missions from III to X. Having said that I did all of mine with Tier 8 boats (have nothing higher, casual like) except for Co-Op missions with my Fiji.

On 12/2/2016 at 4:15 AM, OnboardG1 said:

This is actually a really smart way of encouraging people out of T7 so that the T5/6 matchmaking improves.

that sounds like a WG fix right there. Dont actually solve the issues, just try and work around it

On 12/3/2016 at 4:05 PM, How_Terrible said:

In a way it actually would be solving the issue.

No it wouldn't. Chopping off tiers from a given tier's matchmaking will always result in unbalanced matchmaking, unless the population is MASSIVELY skewed into those tiers, such that games were already routinely filled with only those tiers before the change. 

Players who are just sitting at that tier because of the good MM are dwarfed in number by those simply grinding through them. The grind is the base model of this game, ensuring a healthy population across tiers. Biasing the matchmaker while having a normal population is the cause of this, not people "clubbing" in their 7s. 

Well, I completed the introductory "Science" campaign and got the free 7 days of premium time for my efforts.  I felt like the challenge was incremental and noticeable over the course of the 10 missions that make up the way points in the campaign.  There were lots of rewards spread out along the way, and I never felt like I had to cahnge the way I played to earn the pins for each mission.  Mostly i just changed ship types to achieve the various goals - need to start fires, IJN cruiser - need to get flooding, take out a DD, need a bunch of secondary hits, take out the Bismarck.  I will clean up some of the achievements still available that I didn't earn - a few have free xp as the rewards, then i will start on the adult campaign that requires tier 8-10.

There are a metric butt load of people whinging on the forums about the second campaign requiring tier 8-10 ships, especially from frustrated seal clubbers who want to run their favorite OP tier 4/5 ship all day long.  It makes me happy that people who have either been playing the game long enough to have those ships, or those who are willing to buy tier 8 premiums are going to be competing for this ship.  It has occurred to me that their will probably be a large amount of Atago's ( alias ARP Takao ) showing up in matches.  Suits me though, they are so fast that an inexperienced driver is going to get feasted on when he overextends.

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

Well, I completed the introductory "Science" campaign and got the free 7 days of premium time for my efforts.  I felt like the challenge was incremental and noticeable over the course of the 10 missions that make up the way points in the campaign.  There were lots of rewards spread out along the way, and I never felt like I had to cahnge the way I played to earn the pins for each mission.  Mostly i just changed ship types to achieve the various goals - need to start fires, IJN cruiser - need to get flooding, take out a DD, need a bunch of secondary hits, take out the Bismarck.  I will clean up some of the achievements still available that I didn't earn - a few have free xp as the rewards, then i will start on the adult campaign that requires tier 8-10.

There are a metric butt load of people whinging on the forums about the second campaign requiring tier 8-10 ships, especially from frustrated seal clubbers who want to run their favorite OP tier 4/5 ship all day long.  It makes me happy that people who have either been playing the game long enough to have those ships, or those who are willing to buy tier 8 premiums are going to be competing for this ship.  It has occurred to me that their will probably be a large amount of Atago's ( alias ARP Takao ) showing up in matches.  Suits me though, they are so fast that an inexperienced driver is going to get feasted on when he overextends.

I have seen a lot of T8 ARP Takao and Atago. They are fun to kill in my T8 to T10 ships. One guys parked his ARP Takao flat sided at 10 km to my Yamato, 1 broadside later he was dead. Another guy did something similar trying to Torp my Roon. 5 cits over 3 broadsides he is dead. His torps were nowhere near me. The biggest issue in my mind of the current coddle the newbies MM is that they really do not learn anything about the game until post T8. I saw a Shima driver that had no concept about concealment. Pretty amazing.

So, I actually earned the Leander last night, as part of the missions after acquiring the Graf Spee - and it saved me quite a bit of grinding.  I had been poking along with the Brit line, and was just starting with the Emerald when I got the tier 6.  The camo is nice for a quicker grind, and I already had a 9 point captain from the earlier grind - voila - now I have a 10 point Leander cap and a shorter grind to the Fiji - which is supposed to be pretty good.  I am looking forward to the Budonny I will be getting, since I already started training a cruiser cap for the Kutuzov.  I have already passed all the other ships available in my grinds - but they are still nice as cash sources.  I doubt I will make it to the super Graf Spee camo - or the Tirpitz one, but it was still a nice and creative effort by WG to get people jumpstarted in grinding other lines.

On 13 December 2016 at 6:32 AM, Jarkorsis said:

I have seen a lot of T8 ARP Takao and Atago. They are fun to kill in my T8 to T10 ships. One guys parked his ARP Takao flat sided at 10 km to my Yamato, 1 broadside later he was dead. Another guy did something similar trying to Torp my Roon. 5 cits over 3 broadsides he is dead. His torps were nowhere near me. The biggest issue in my mind of the current coddle the newbies MM is that they really do not learn anything about the game until post T8. I saw a Shima driver that had no concept about concealment. Pretty amazing.

Good to know that sitting stationary broadside is not just limited to the Asian server - it's particularly common amongst Nagato and Amagi players, as well as the aforementioned Atagos / Takaos.

6 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

So, I actually earned the Leander last night, as part of the missions after acquiring the Graf Spee - and it saved me quite a bit of grinding.  I had been poking along with the Brit line, and was just starting with the Emerald when I got the tier 6.  The camo is nice for a quicker grind, and I already had a 9 point captain from the earlier grind - voila - now I have a 10 point Leander cap and a shorter grind to the Fiji - which is supposed to be pretty good.  I am looking forward to the Budonny I will be getting, since I already started training a cruiser cap for the Kutuzov.  I have already passed all the other ships available in my grinds - but they are still nice as cash sources.  I doubt I will make it to the super Graf Spee camo - or the Tirpitz one, but it was still a nice and creative effort by WG to get people jumpstarted in grinding other lines.

I reached the camo missions last night. I must say that getting these ships/credits so far have been a nice treat! Unfortunately I had ground out all the trees to tier 6 bar the Leander.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:33 AM, OnboardG1 said:

I have a Missouri so this is the easiest mission chain I've ever done. Play 24 Missouri games and 8 random finishers. GG.

4 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Done. I think it took me 40 games in total. Missouri the best.

This is how I did the last half of the campaign after one of my friends mentioned that he had done the whole thing is a single day using only the Missouri.

Earned the sexy 100% free xp camo for the Tirpitz, currently at 181,000 free xp, guess I am going on a Tirpitz- Anshan spree now on the path to 750K.