N00BSAIB0T

AW re-designing artillery and possibly removing it

AW is better than WoT by quite the margin as far as the gameplay goes. Content is still very limited though and population isn't exactly great either even though most of the issues that drove people away have been fixed. Not to mention how the balance 2.0 is a huge question mark and can, and probably will, change everything to the point where it is essentially a completely different game. Arty change is great but like others have said not enough or soon enough to fix anything on its own.

9 hours ago, Cronk said:

Probably too little too late.

Once a games population has crashed it's quite difficult to recover it. If I hear through the grapevine that it's really good now and better than WoT I might mosey back over and check it out.

This pretty much, it has died and there is no coming back. As people have said, most of the annoying issues have been fixed but the fact that it still is MBT Warfare and the gap between tiers is massive compared to WOT, being bottom tier in WOT is better than being bottom tier in AW any day, even if AW is only -1/+1.
I still reinstall it from time to time to just look at how bad it still is and get sick of it after one game in my T-90MS when half the enemy team is T10 MBTs that just steam roll over anything else.

8 hours ago, Stige said:

This pretty much, it has died and there is no coming back. As people have said, most of the annoying issues have been fixed but the fact that it still is MBT Warfare and the gap between tiers is massive compared to WOT, being bottom tier in WOT is better than being bottom tier in AW any day, even if AW is only -1/+1.
I still reinstall it from time to time to just look at how bad it still is and get sick of it after one game in my T-90MS when half the enemy team is T10 MBTs that just steam roll over anything else.

If you had bothered to read the other posts on their website, this is one of the issues they're fixing. All the tanks and classes are getting reworked to prevent bottom tiers and top tiers from having such a large gap in power. Read this https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-hitpoints-and-ammunition and this https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-mechanics-changes

53 minutes ago, Flaksmith said:

If you had bothered to read the other posts on their website, this is one of the issues they're fixing. All the tanks and classes are getting reworked to prevent bottom tiers and top tiers from having such a large gap in power. Read this https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-hitpoints-and-ammunition and this https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-mechanics-changes

Good and all that, but I don't think they can salvage the game anymore unfortunately. Only way to maybe bring some players back would to get it hyped over something and release it on Steam for easy access to people.
Just don't see it happening though. It's a shame really that it is gonna die. This was probably the most anticipated game for me in ages.

@Stige I'm still fairly certain most of your issues come from trying to play MBT like wot heavy and refuse to adapt to not being top tier which both are doomed to fail. Having played wot quite a bit over the last few months I daresay being bottom tier is much worse in wot in most tanks, especially if you are grinding with shit crews etcetc. In AW the high mobility and generally good capabilities of vehicles enables players to do things on a completely different scale even when facing higher tier opponents. Most problems are pure and simple l2p issues.

MBT meta is also the best for all classes. We saw what over the top AFV buffs did and the whole game transformed into super high speed glass cannon gameplay with sub 5 second TTKs which isn't much fun for anyone (the main reason why I'm not playing anymore) and at times there have been very high TD populations which is pretty close to what wot with high numbers of high tier TDs is, you get spotted and you get blapped. Luckly the 2.0 is probably going to be much closer to wot so people can stop trying to learn new things and do the same thing all over again (which they probably won't because they already have wot). AW up to last few patches has actually played pretty differently from WoT which most people don't understand due to the superficial similarities and it seems to be very bitter pill especially for good wot players who expect to be just as good with no effort.

But yeah I don't have much confidence left for the AW devs despite being a pretty big Obsidian fanboy. I hope they'll surprise me.

With balance 2.0 and not just altering but completely removing arty AW could be saved if they styled it like FFXIV's relaunch, that game was complete trash at release and in a far worse state than AW but the relaunch saved it, only trouble is I doubt mail.ru would care enough about saving AW.

On AW tier powergap as a just about average player in WoT I find a heck of a lot easier to fight against higher tiers in AW than in WoT. Like even after coming back and play 100-150 matches in WoT I have no clue how to easily pen a T110E5 in a T32 for example whereas I have actually gone up against and killed 2 tier 10 MBTs in a row using Leopard 2A5(tier 8) in AW Global Operations. The stuff on AW forum about "power gap" is mostly because the game changes big time when all MBTs get durable composite armour at tier 7, it just obsoletes lower tiers completely like IRL.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:46 PM, PityFool said:

So, before AW was launched we had countless discussions happening on their forums saying exactly this "The ability to deal indirect damage to an opponent who can neither see or retaliate was a mechanic that just didn’t work well", Only after their game is pretty much dead do they realise "Oh hey, maybe those players who had put thousands of hours into WoT were actually right about arty?" 

Fuck sakes.

W-w-w-we wanted realism.

I understand artillery is a part of almost all wars, but jesus, why don't they have infantry, planes, ships, AT-guns, etc in the game then? Like I mean artillery does work in a few wargames like Red Orchestra 2, and somewhat in coh/coh2 but for the most part it's a trash mechanic.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:57 PM, Stige said:

Good and all that, but I don't think they can salvage the game anymore unfortunately. Only way to maybe bring some players back would to get it hyped over something and release it on Steam for easy access to people.
Just don't see it happening though. It's a shame really that it is gonna die. This was probably the most anticipated game for me in ages.

Given these changes I'll definitely give them another chance. My biggest remaining complaint is still the whole repeat of WoT grinding with no pay2play options. Allowing people to transfer progress from WoT accounts in some way by logging in and verifying the account would allow people to get into the game much easier.

1 hour ago, Xelos said:

Given these changes I'll definitely give them another chance. My biggest remaining complaint is still the whole repeat of WoT grinding with no pay2play options. Allowing people to transfer progress from WoT accounts in some way by logging in and verifying the account would allow people to get into the game much easier.

But its an entirely different game, as well developer so there is no reason for them to do so? Also, only the few high tier tanks are present as t1-3 MBT like m60, is-7(as premium) etc so not sure how you would implement that either?

8 minutes ago, HemanathanRX7 said:

But its an entirely different game, as well developer so there is no reason for them to do so? Also, only the few high tier tanks are present as t1-3 MBT like m60, is-7(as premium) etc so not sure how you would implement that either?

The reason is to increase playerbase. Reason why games like csgo, overwatch, smite are so popular is because it is so easy to pickup and play a few games without ever thinking about progression. How would they implement it? Depends on how generous they want to be. I'd do something simple such as linking each WoT national progression line to dealer. If you've reached a tier 10 russian direct fire vehicle give a set of tokens pertaining to that dealer from tier 1 to tier 10. Only allow it once though of course.

I'd rather there just be a pay2play option ala overwatch / csgo / smite than forced grind method.

13 hours ago, Xelos said:

The reason is to increase playerbase. Reason why games like csgo, overwatch, smite are so popular is because it is so easy to pickup and play a few games without ever thinking about progression. How would they implement it? Depends on how generous they want to be. I'd do something simple such as linking each WoT national progression line to dealer. If you've reached a tier 10 russian direct fire vehicle give a set of tokens pertaining to that dealer from tier 1 to tier 10. Only allow it once though of course.

I'd rather there just be a pay2play option ala overwatch / csgo / smite than forced grind method.

Sorry but no. You are comparing apples with eggs.

There is a reason why having progression in one game isn't linked to progression in another: You are advertising your competitor for free.

Apart from that by doing so you would have all the fails from WoT coming over to AW with their 40k games and 45% WR instantly jumping into T10 vehicles and turning each battle into a real tomato field.

20 hours ago, Xelos said:

The way in which AW is changing vehicle stats means there won't be a significant difference between tiers.  Even between say a tier 5 and a tier 10.  Progression won't be nearly as important in Balance 2.0 as it is now in AW and as it is in WoT.  All you might get is a better fire-on-the-move capability, possibly a mobility increase depending on class and some higher penetration when shifting from tier 5 to 10. HP should remain within ~300-400 from tier 1 to 10.  Progression through tiers won't be some awful thing like Tier 4 WoT, no matter your tier your vehicle will be very competitive against all others you face.  Grinding will be more about getting iconic tanks or maybe some unique weapon system than anything, not to gain a massive competitive edge. And even then, most of the really unique tanks like the Terminator are premiums available for purchase anyways.  There isn't any pressure to have the newest and greatest Czech autoloading tank or Japanese 150mm gun  superheavy tank as quickly as possible in AW Balance 2.0 like there is in WoT.

I think AW makes more money from premium tank sales than selling gold to buy premium for progression which is why I presume they are making the game feel less like a grind.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-hitpoints-and-ammunition

On 12/2/2016 at 5:05 PM, Cronk said:

Probably too little too late.

Once a games population has crashed it's quite difficult to recover it. If I hear through the grapevine that it's really good now and better than WoT I might mosey back over and check it out.

I reccomend everyone tries it out as soon as balance 2.0 hits, but not before. 

IMHO Steam and B.20, combined with good reviews from major streamers / youtubers could kick it up. 

6 hours ago, Stridsvagn 74 said:

I reccomend everyone tries it out as soon as balance 2.0 hits, but not before. 

IMHO Steam and B.20, combined with good reviews from major streamers / youtubers could kick it up. 

Steam might be the only thing that can save this game even a little but somehow I still doubt it.

10 hours ago, Stige said:

Steam might be the only thing that can save this game even a little but somehow I still doubt it.

If 2.0 is successful launching on steam instead of the craptastic mycom launcher might be very good. Steam only works if your game is good enough to not get stomped by the community though. So yeah I wouldn't hold my breath about that but there certainly is some hope left. 

On 12/9/2016 at 0:31 PM, shwedor said:

The way in which AW is changing vehicle stats means there won't be a significant difference between tiers.  Even between say a tier 5 and a tier 10.  Progression won't be nearly as important in Balance 2.0 as it is now in AW and as it is in WoT.  All you might get is a better fire-on-the-move capability, possibly a mobility increase depending on class and some higher penetration when shifting from tier 5 to 10. HP should remain within ~300-400 from tier 1 to 10.  Progression through tiers won't be some awful thing like Tier 4 WoT, no matter your tier your vehicle will be very competitive against all others you face.  Grinding will be more about getting iconic tanks or maybe some unique weapon system than anything, not to gain a massive competitive edge. And even then, most of the really unique tanks like the Terminator are premiums available for purchase anyways.  There isn't any pressure to have the newest and greatest Czech autoloading tank or Japanese 150mm gun  superheavy tank as quickly as possible in AW Balance 2.0 like there is in WoT.

I think AW makes more money from premium tank sales than selling gold to buy premium for progression which is why I presume they are making the game feel less like a grind.

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/balance-20-hitpoints-and-ammunition

It looks promising. Having played mostly smite for past year as my main competitive title I have wanted something more vehicular shooter that isn't WoT and hoped AW would be it.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:32 AM, Krollin said:

Sorry but no. You are comparing apples with eggs.

There is a reason why having progression in one game isn't linked to progression in another: You are advertising your competitor for free.

Apart from that by doing so you would have all the fails from WoT coming over to AW with their 40k games and 45% WR instantly jumping into T10 vehicles and turning each battle into a real tomato field.

Cellphone companies regularly invoke their competitor's name to get people to switch. It isn't anything new.

Who cares about "fails" at whatever tier, they'll get there either way and still probably fail if they after 45k games still are terrible. Go play any game out there and tomatoes are abound but that doesn't stop them nor should we want to because they are effectively better than average bots for people like me. That's what separates a yellow, green, purple in whatever game you play that relies more on player-skill than character-skill.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:31 AM, shwedor said:

The way in which AW is changing vehicle stats means there won't be a significant difference between tiers.  Even between say a tier 5 and a tier 10.  

If that's what ends up happening then Balance 2.0 will have all been for naught.  An M1A2 SEPv3 (tier 9 with the revised B2.0 trees) should easily roll over an M60A3 and especially an M60A2 (both tier 5 in the revised B2.0 trees) which was a straight up PoS IRL.  They're going to catch hell, and rightfully so, if those tier 5s above can hold their own against the aforementioned tier 9.

What it should be, and what I think they've basically said, is that if you are able to maneuver under B2.0 you'll finally be able to do something to those higher tier tanks (though, a 60A3 or Starship outmaneuvering an M1 of any variant will mean said M1 driver is full-bore mouthbreather).  The current shit meta that's helped drive away their playerbase had straight up fantasy armor levels for high tier MBTs where even maneuver was meaningless.

We're supposed to go from the current situation where bottom tier MBTs are nothing but target practice (and I still don't get how some of you can say WoT is worse in this regard... just... quite the statement to make) to where under the best of circumstances you'll finally be able to do something to make that high tier have to respect you (to a degree).

On 12/10/2016 at 9:28 PM, Illy said:

If that's what ends up happening then Balance 2.0 will have all been for naught.  An M1A2 SEPv3 (tier 9 with the revised B2.0 trees) should easily roll over an M60A3 and especially an M60A2 (both tier 5 in the revised B2.0 trees) which was a straight up PoS IRL.  They're going to catch hell, and rightfully so, if those tier 5s above can hold their own against the aforementioned tier 9.

What it should be, and what I think they've basically said, is that if you are able to maneuver under B2.0 you'll finally be able to do something to those higher tier tanks (though, a 60A3 or Starship outmaneuvering an M1 of any variant will mean said M1 driver is full-bore mouthbreather).  The current shit meta that's helped drive away their playerbase had straight up fantasy armor levels for high tier MBTs where even maneuver was meaningless.

We're supposed to go from the current situation where bottom tier MBTs are nothing but target practice (and I still don't get how some of you can say WoT is worse in this regard... just... quite the statement to make) to where under the best of circumstances you'll finally be able to do something to make that high tier have to respect you (to a degree).

Character-skill designed games (gear/vehicle) are garbage design for PvP compared to player-skill driven games. The more emphasis they put on collecting next tier the more people are driven to do just that instead of winning. This results in people derping to "farm" exp to get more powerful instead of getting gud.

People play DOTA, Smite, CSGO, overwatch over and over and over not because they collect some useless piece of gear that makes them super powerful but because of the competitive design.Tier 5s won't fight tier 9s anyways so I don't get where you are going with this.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, Illy said:

(though, a 60A3 or Starship outmaneuvering an M1 of any variant will mean said M1 driver is full-bore mouthbreather). 

You've managed to describe the entire PvE population of AW and most of the PvP players.  If by some odd chance they do widen the tiers to that extreme, it won't be an unfeasible scenario.  M60A3 and the like are perfectly capable of penetrating the sides and rear of M1's with modern ammo.

22 hours ago, Xelos said:

Tier 5s won't fight tier 9s anyways so I don't get where you are going with this.

Umm... replying to the quote that's in my post.  That spread is extreme but it's the same push being made that somehow tier difference will be irrelevant in B2.0.  IF that becomes the case then they just killed their game because that's equally as stupid as the tier spread being too important as it is now.

Edit: We also don't know what the new tier spreads will be.  They have stated we will be able to see larger spreads than what we have now if population is still an issue.  I haven't seen them mention if or what a new cap will be.

Edited by Illy

20 hours ago, Illy said:

Umm... replying to the quote that's in my post.  That spread is extreme but it's the same push being made that somehow tier difference will be irrelevant in B2.0.  IF that becomes the case then they just killed their game because that's equally as stupid as the tier spread being too important as it is now.

Edit: We also don't know what the new tier spreads will be.  They have stated we will be able to see larger spreads than what we have now if population is still an issue.  I haven't seen them mention if or what a new cap will be.

Each region can change the tier spread to whatever they want.  It may not be the same for EU/NA/RU depending on population post-release.

Coming from someone who for the most part wrote the game off I'll give them another shot especially if arty goes bye bye for good.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:28 PM, Illy said:

Nobody is saying a tier 9 and tier 5 will be equal, but they will be way closer than now.

Health scaling based on weight, not tier, means the Abrams is quite healthy. But a M60A2, which can easily pen the very week steel lower plates of Soviet MBTs, is equally heavy as a T-90 and can out-trade with better gun damage. Abrams can also easily be penned by tier 105mm APDS  from the side. 

Its not about making scaling nonexistent, its about removing scaling for the hell of it. More hard stat scaling than before, with far less soft stat scaling. Weakspots also will have logic to them, instead of being idiotic hatch-driven pixelhunting shitshows.