Sign in to follow this  
CraBeatOff

Its Simple, Even If Its Not Easy

I took a LONG break recently, from June through about 2 weeks ago. When I came back, I felt slightly rusty, but the rust seems to be fully knocked off and it really didn't take very long. See here for some evidence

signature.png

7 days 128 games 72% wins, 1172 xpg, 3400WN8

And what I realized, as I came back more or less fresh was that the game remains simple. At its most fundamental level its just Lanchester's Square Law played out over and over and over again. Visions and pen mechanics are the barrier to entry (but well documented in many places now), but beyond that its just the same HP trading model over and over again. I still don't know all the bushes that well (I watch streams sometimes to pick up ideas, but mostly I just guess to see if it works or use the view range circles). My shooting ability is OK, nothing to the quality of a good Gold League players, but I do at least bother to use tanks.gg to look up a new armor layout when i see something unfamiliar. For example this AMX49 rental thing. I didn't know what it was, looked it up, thought "huh thats kinda cool". Then when I got a 24hr rental, I played 14 solo games in it. 64% wins, 2774 dpg, 1389 xpg on approximately my 2nd day back. I had little advantage over ANYONE with 5k games that day...except in thinking about the applications of  Lanchester's Square Law.

There is nothing to the game except figuring out how to keep your (singular and plural) hitpoints and how to take their (singular and plural) hitpoints. How to stay alive, and how to influence the match (damage, kills, spotting, deployment info, flanking, local advantage, denial, capture, base reset, etc) while doing so. There isn't really anything else. So break down all those other skills, and make them automatic, and then all your attention can be spent on where to be and why.

Okay, I bit and looked up Lanchester's square law. Totally new to me. The upshot seems to be that, when you have a substantial local advantage in numbers, the advantage is probably even bigger than you intuitively think. If I have the law right, the power of a unit is not proportional to its numbers, but to the square of its numbers.

For example, six tanks are not three times more powerful than two tanks, but nine times more powerful, everything else being equal. Those six can probably move in and kill the two without any loss, or at most losing one if they are unlucky. Indeed, a substantial superiority in numbers is so powerful that the smaller force must have a tremendous superiority in quality to make up for it.

Interesting, if I have it right.

I experienced something similar to this I think..

I was gone for more like 8 months, and sat down and started playing about 10 days ago. Im not going to pretend to be not shit, but the mechanics of the game stayed with me, and I feel like after a few days I started to get back into the groove of things.

Glad you're back Crab, and I look forward to seeing some of your replays again.

You got it. Good play is basically recognizing, creating and exploiting advantageous LSL situations or recognizing, declining or nullifying them. But when I play virtually all my decisions (deployment,  relocation,  engagement, flee) are based on that model.

1 hour ago, Joyrider216 said:

I'm glad your back, I missed my grumpy mentor.

I accidentally left my game logged in yesterday while I was at work.  I arrived home to see that I had missed a platoon invite from Crab (among others).  

By going to work it would seem that I wasted a perfect opportunity to have someone I like be disappointed in me over a string of games approaching the amount before he politely quit, all while eloquently expressing the specific reasons why he was disappointed in the interim.

This is, of course, preferable to having MaxL been disappointed in you over a string of games approaching the amount before he tells you that it would have been better if your mom got an abortion.

3 minutes ago, Dlur said:

This is, of course, preferable to having MaxL been disappointed in you over a string of games approaching the amount before he tells you that it would have been better if your mom got an abortion.

See your signature for evidence of this :doge: 

1 hour ago, Victrix said:

Glad you're back Crab, and I look forward to seeing some of your replays again.

I have some doozies to upload. Prob on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Zepherex said:

You forgot about the part of the square where there's a 240mm artillery shell smashing it and ruining the basics of the game friend crab :^)

A calculated risk and a dumb mechanic. But at closing in on 30k games, I know what I'm agreeing to by pushing Battle!

59 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

Hello dead guy

Hello dear e-friend. Hope to catch up soon and humiliate some pubbies. I miss cross chat, badly. 

22 minutes ago, Dlur said:

I accidentally left my game logged in yesterday while I was at work.  I arrived home to see that I had missed a platoon invite from Crab (among others).  

By going to work it would seem that I wasted a perfect opportunity to have someone I like be disappointed in me over a string of games approaching the amount before he politely quit, all while eloquently expressing the specific reasons why he was disappointed in the interim.

Haha, I still invite(d) you. Does that mean I'm bad at learning, or that I just know what I'm signing on for? You clearly know what accepting the invite entails :-D

signature.png

Can confirm. I played these 136 games over Thanksgiving break when I was able to go back home. ~66% half solopub and respectable stats output. I felt pretty rusty and the first 5 games were pretty weird-feeling but once you get a good playing model ingrained, it's hard to forget. Also probably why it's hard to improve for anyone that hasn't bothered to, they need to relearn some basic models that they've gotten used to. 

5 more points to dark purple! :nyes:

Crab - you rock brother!

I am an old salt who plays WoWs instead of Wot nowadays, but I love reading your posts regardless!

In my own mind, I picture you a "Mike Rowe" like figure, a defender of intelligence, preparedness and hard work as the keys to success.  His most recent message about Hampshire college and it's president resonates with me, does it resonate with you?

As I dropped one of those giant round ice cubes into a tumbler of Whistle Pig, I couldn’t help but wonder if President Lash was unaware that billions of people around the world are routinely subjected to horrific levels of racism, misogyny, and bigotry that far exceed any injustice in modern-day America. Furthermore, I was curious to know if President Lash really believed that removing our flag is a better way to assuage the fears of his frightened students, than simply educating them about the undeniable fact that no country on the planet affords its citizens more liberty than this one? Finally, I found myself wondering as to why the President of Hampshire College would allow his students to pay for their tuition with federal dollars – federal dollars provided by the same government whose flag was no longer suitable to fly at his school.

We the People are enabling schools like Hampshire to sell a liberal arts degree for approximately $250,000. With $1.3 trillion dollars of student debt currently on the books, I found myself thinking how nice it would be to hear a more persuasive argument from those who will happily take money from a country whose flag they despise.

I turned the channel, and watched another group of students dance around another pile of burning flags at another expensive university. I couldn’t tell where they were, but occurred to me that wherever they were – it probably wasn’t a trade school. To my knowledge, no one has ever burned a flag at a trade school.

Forgive me if you think I have made this thread more political - my goal was to make it more common sense.  The game - or any other game for that matter - rewards those that take the time to understand the BASIC functions required for success and refine those concepts into bite sized chunks.  They then take that formulaic understanding and exploit it by being better at understanding the formula of success and applying it more frequently than a "casual" player.   I understood what it would take to be a unicum at WoT after 12k games, I simply was not prepared to do the work required to become a unicum with the knowledge I had attained.  Honestly, while I am far better at WoWs, I still won't become a unicum there either, because the cost/reward equation is not balanced for me as a 55 year old man with 3 teenage sons to provide for.  Regardless, I admire the men (and women ) who have done the math and decided to balance the equation regardless.

Please keep posting Crab - on anything you feel inclined to - I really enjoy your thoughts on our post-modern world.

20 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Hello dear e-friend. Hope to catch up soon and humiliate some pubbies. I miss cross chat, badly. 

Yeah, the game is significantly less enjoyable when you can't mock the stupids on the other team. Even playing arty is less fun when you can't tell the enemy light tank doing 70kph on the other side of the map to stop camping.