hallo1994

What games had "changed" your life?

55 posts in this topic

It's going to sound somewhat retarded, but Minecraft... though it was more the people I met through the game rather than the game itself.

Met a group of great people and the lot of us have been together for nearing I believe 5 years.

10/10 best life changer

First one was Breath of Fire III in the Playstation, which pushed me to learn english, playing with a dictionary by my side.

Then it was WoT, which was the first multiplayer game i could play well, mostly for the people i've met and friendships i've made all over the world.

Street Fighter 2 - still good friends with lots of the people I met in the local arcade back when I was 15/16.  They went to a different high school and I wouldn't know them otherwise!

Quake 3 (Rocket Arena mod) - my first LANparties and eventually a trip to Geneva for a friend's wedding

World of Warcraft - I learned a lot about myself when I stepped up to become a raid leader. I also tested the limits of my now-wife's patience.

I guess this is why I'm not better at tonks.  I was really good at SF2 and MK/MK2 but I guess just "blue" at Quake3 and that's also a FPS like this.

Mass Effect Trilogy. Resonated with me almost as well as Star Wars. Space is awesome.Anything space related is awesome. combine this fact with the absolutely astounding detail to character development and overall story these games have. Never really have been drawn to a series of games like these since, although Witcher 3 is up there in terms of quality. Really looking forward to Andromeda.

Gaming did not change my life, but it helped me never get in to going out, drinking, smoking or giving myself hard time chasing brain-damaged stupid girls. If there were no games in my life, I probably would never become what I am today, a well mannered, good musician (and a nice guy I believe :)).

There are so many guys (and girls) who cant have any sort of fun in their lives unless they are drunk, high or whatever and its so sad when I see them from my perspective.

Chronological order:

Commodore 64 - While not a game, per se, this was my introduction to video gaming, and the hours of Choplifter, Joust, Olympics and many others have doomed me forever more.

Some random kid's GameBoy with Super Mario Land - portable games could be GOOD?  (unlike all the LCD baseball/football/etc style Tiger games out there at the time)  Once I managed to scrounge enough money, I went and got my own... a game I could "usually" hide from my parents.

Fallout - My younger brother got this for me as a random Christmas gift... I was NOT old enough for it...  But I loved it.  And an RPG whore was born.

City of Heroes/Villians - Met my wife through there.  Needless to say, my life would NOT be as awesome as it is right now if I hadn't gone into the supergroups(guilds) I had and met her, first online, then in person.  She makes me a better person... and I'm STILL pissed at NCSoft for killing the title.  Though, if they hadn't, I'd not be in Tanks...

World of Tanks - 

I wasted 3000 hours of time, several hundreds of euros and lots of nerves.

9 minutes ago, Jug0sLovEn said:

There are so many guys (and girls) who cant have any sort of fun in their lives unless they are drunk, high or whatever and its so sad when I see them from my perspective.

This

World of tanks. Wasted a lot of time, but I've met some pretty cool guys. (also going to the NA finals in Vegas I got to meet a ton of people in real life)

Starcraft (both the first and second games, but mostly the first). If it wasn't for Starcraft it's possible I would have never got into pc gaming.

Battlefield 1942.

First game I was involved with clans and on-line gaming.  Still remember playing with the HPSF and AREA51 guys.  Fuck, batman and SirGazzard and I used to run around as antitank guys with one riding on the hood of the jeep or on the wings of a plane.  And try and shoot down planes with bazookas.

22 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Monster Hunter: The Music was Glorious and the online game-play was just fantastic...i was instantly hooked.

Are the newer ones any good? I kind of stopped following the series after I sunk ~1400 hours in Freedom Unite and did pretty much everything.

DOOM.  If you were not a part of the nascent early days of the internet, before modern gaming engines, in a time before Netscape and Windows 95 - its difficult to describe what that first session of DOOM was like in 1994 when your heart was pounding as you were backing out of a room low on ammo with the sounds of damnation everywhere . . . 

Well kind an old, so it will be centurion and f19 stealth fighter and of course river raid.

First because of strategy and historic sense of game and ofc ROME. game tjat teach me more then I thoughtit would be possible

Second because modern battlefield a lot of details in gameplay and random events. i have sunk like one and half year in this one. teach me a lot of real life stuff.

And third it was just awesome and catch me for a life.

I've been gaming my whole life, but the only real changers were Pokemon and Tanks. 

Pokemon was a nice, safe space I could run in to whenever the world was just too much as a kid. 

Tanks is still fun, lots of hours, and always stuff to do. Community is probably the biggest reason to why I enjoy the game, but I don't really platoon. I have more fun playing SH/CW than randoms lately.

I've sunk incredibly many hours into the Final Fantasy series as well but those hours haven't exactly taken time away from anything else, rather from other games that did. 

(We're talking about 3000 hours here for story RPGs)

Quake 2 - First on-line multi-player game for me. I will never forget the first server I visited. it was empty at first so I explored the level... then somebody else came in (and I didn't notice them) and fragged me! I almost fell out of my chair in shock. The shared experience of stalking and fragging each other was so cool!  

Pokemon (conpetitively on Smogon 'University' is what got me to playing conpetitively.

Soldier Front was where I got to interact more closely with fellow clanmates. One day the game stopped working on my computer so I went to A.v.A which is how I got introduced to a tightly knit group of friends. We practically send each other birthday gifts/christmas presents (we still do) and planning on heading to places like PAX eventually. Then this group of friends introduced me to WoT and I got to meet even more people - after being totally solo (barring games with friends from previous game) for around 15k. Then i ended up with rel_2 where I got to meet some nice guys and Banish eventually brought me into VILIN where the officer core is pretty tight as well. Eventually planning on joining the PAX events with them as well.

Other than that, it didn't dramatically change my life.

Diablo:  This was my first "online" gaming experience, played it with my cousin in high school on a dial-up connection.  I racked up 140 hours in the first month.

Civilization:  The hours I wasted playing that game, it spread throughout the whole series.

Dark Age of Camelot:  My first MMORPG, started playing it with my now brother in law, during its peak of about 200-250k players, we were #1 and #2 for the assassin class that we played in PVP.  It was here that I learned that it didn't matter what could or couldn't be done with 2 people on the PVE side,because you were supposed to have 8 or 16 or whatever; that it CAN be done, you just have to figure out how to make it happen and execute the plan.

TrackMania and WoT here.

Trackmania got me into the competitive feel of online games and I mad a ton of good friends on that, and WoT also has given me experiences I would never have had otherwise (good and bad lol).