dualmaster333

CW Reward Tanks - A Brief Guide

Your favorite?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• M60 - The Original Scuba Tank
    • VK 72.01 - Because Ugly is the New Sexy
    • Object 907 - I Like More of the Same
    • T95E6 - This One was Just a Joke Right?
    • 121B - Chairman Mao Approves

Many of us will soon have to decide what CW reward tank to pick. In looking at what tank I want, I compiled this following guide. Below in each spoiler is a link to tanks.gg showing the reward tank next to its closest tech tree vehicle. I then highlight some of the more significant differences and add my personal verdict on the tank. Below the spoilers you will find two rankings of the tanks. This guide is my opinion but I try to give each tank a fair shake based on an examination of the stats, personal play experience, and word of mouth (since I haven't played all of them).

-Comparison of all 5 reward tanks-

121B

-Comparison to 121, Object 140, Centurion AX-

This one is kind of interesting. I originally thought nothing of it since I am not a fan of the 121 but on closer inspection it actually fixes a lot of the problems with the 121. I've also included the Object 140 and CAX for comparison because I think it is useful.

Okay, let's get the worst part out of the way. The 121B packs the worst in class DPM. It is really bad. Maybe it would be acceptable if you got some significant advantage in exchange like really good armor or superb gun handling. But as it is this really kills the tank in my opinion. It seems like an obvious candidate for a buff in the future though.

Getting beyond the DPM, the 121B fixes a lot of the 121's problems. You lose the 440 alpha cannon for a 390 alpha 105mm gun. In exchange you get a ton of creature comforts - a high velocity APCR round, improved gun handling and accuracy, and a very signficant 5° gun depression instead of 3°. An excellent trade.

The armor is pretty solid. Additional armor on the upper plate means you will bounce tier 10 guns with some regularity. The turret is a little worse than the 121 - it should be good enough to bounce a lot of tier 10 standard ammo but is susceptible to HEAT and TD guns. Overall it looks like a well armored medium.

Since few of us have actually played the 121, I find it somewhat helpful to compare to other tier 10 mediums. So...the gun and gun handling is nearly identical (very slightly worse) than the CAX. The armor is probably best compared to the 140 - the hull is significantly better, the turret face is slightly worse but it also doesn't have the large overmatchable roof area that makes the 140 turret less reliable. Driving around will feel like a sluggish T-62A (having both lower HP/t and worse terrain resists). And when it comes knife fighting you'll be sad when an adfasdfasdfasdfsdfE-50M reloads faster than you.

My Verdict: Good option for people who like NATO guns and Communist platforms. Object 907 is still a significantly better tank along with all the other RU clones. With a DPM buff it would actually be pretty decent.

T95E6

-Comparison to T110E5 and M48A1 Patton-

This tank is a bit of an oddity. It essentially carries the E5's firepower on a medium platform. You get additional speed and mobility in exchange for significantly worse armor. It gets a bit more DPM than the E5 but is still on the low end for tier 10 mediums. Gun handling is relatively poor compared to its peers and it keeps the low velocity AP round from the E5. It's a rather unimpressive gun for a medium.

The T95E6 is noticeably faster than playing an E5. However, it still feels like a slug when played along side other tier 10 mediums. But this is just because it has much better armor than those mediums, right? Well, almost. Any armor this tank would have is ruined by the giant cupola. Most of the enemies you will run in to can pen it with standard ammo. Hull down fighting, which this tank should have been good at, is completely ruined by this giant dome. You might as well hang Christmas lights on it and a sign that says "Shoot me here!".

WYNt3tZ.png

Even getting beyond the cupola, this tank has some weird armor issues. I've tried side scraping with it to bait shots, but a large area of the side armor near the rear is 31mm which is overmatchable even by 100mm guns. Basically, this tank will generate some bounces but any half way intelligent player will have no trouble trashing you. For this tank to be in any way competitive it would need an E5 treatment for the cupola - it could then at least become somewhat of a hull down fighter.

mTYxv3E.png

My Verdict: Meant to be a heavium, the T95E6 ends up being a bad medium and a worse heavy. The soft cupola ruins everything it had hoped to be. It's the least competitive of all the CW reward tanks. But it's also the most unique - not just a carbon copy of an existing tech tree tank. It really does feel like something different, thus the reason I picked this tank over the 907 (admittedly I'm a US medium addict).

Object 907

-Comparison to Object 140, T-62A, Object 430-

This is what you get when you smash the three tech tree clones together. The 907's turret is pretty similar to a 140 with a large overmatchable region on the top. The front hull armor is a little worse than the 140. The side armor has some steep angles that are hidden by the tracks - this means you can bounce a surprsing number of shots due to being at autobounce angles.

Pretty much everything else about the tank lies somewhere between the 140/62A and the 430. It's very much just another T-54 clone and plays pretty much the same as all other RU meds. Only major complaint is that the ammo rack gets damaged easily to the point where carrying double repair kits is recommended.

My verdict: This is probably the best of the reward tanks but is also the most bland. If you like RU meds this is an obvious choice since it will train crews. You can take it out pubbing and not feel like you're playing a crappier version of an existing tank, although you will feel like you are just playing a copy of several existing tank (because you are). This tank also gets a mention for being clan wars viable as a RU med substitute.

M60

-Comparion to M48A1 Patton-

A year ago these two tanks were pretty much the same. Then they buffed gun handling and DPM on the M48 so the M60 is just a worse version of it. The M48 gets a noticeable DPM and gun handling advantage along with better armor while maintaining roughly the same mobility.

However, that doesn't mean the M60 is bad. It is still a decent tier 10 medium in its own right. Reasonably mobile, good gun handling, gun depression, and awesome view range make it a pretty typical US medium tank.

My verdict: This tank is overshadowed by the M48 - it's hard to justify taking it out of the garage if you already have the (better) tech tree version of it. But it's still a decent tank and also makes a good trainer for US medium crews. I don't regret picking this tank up during an earlier campaign. This is a good option if you like comfy 105mm armed NATO mediums.

VK72.01

-Comparison to E-100- 

In its current form the VK suffers from worse firepower, however it is supposed to get buffed in a future patch to have at least the same DPM and aim time. The VK will still have worse dispersion values. In particular the dispersion from moving the turret is 60% higher! This may not be as terrible in practice as it is in theory though - the VK doesn't need to constantly angle its turrets between shots like the E-100. This means you can poke a corner and already be aimed at the bad guys so you won't be affected by turret dispersion as much in some cases.

The VK and E-100 have pretty similar mobility stats. They're both big fat boxes. In theory the VK has a 13kph higher top speed but I don't think it ever gets to that speed on flat ground?

The VK actually offers something new in terms of armor with a circular, rear mounted turret. The turret is significantly better armored - it doesn't have the huge flat surface of the E-100 so even tier 10 HEAT rounds will struggle against it. Frontally the hull armor looks pretty similar to the E-100 with the lower plate being similarly weak. The rear mount turret is interesting for playing corners, however the rather large weak spot you have to expose makes it rather ineffective against a semi-intelligent player.

EDIT:  So looking at the full list of buffs for this tank on supertest, it starts to look pretty good. Equivalent firepower to the E-100 is good. The frontal armor starts to get really good - straight on the upper front plate reaches 360+ effective while the LFP reaches 310-320. That's better than the VK4502B. Meanwhile the turret only has a thin strip on each side of the mantlet that can be easily penetrated. So it should be really tough from the front with the only real weakness being the 170 region on the side during side scrapes.

ot7oOlK.png

My verdict: It's an E-100 with a different armor scheme. If the proposed buffs go through, this tank should feel a lot like a 4502B - a rear mount turret with tough armor frontally. With buffs it is a solid competitor to the E-100. This tank is worth a look if you like slow lumbering boxes that drive up and punch people in the face.

Ranked by Power  Based on whether the tank is actually good

1. Object 907
  2. M60
  3. VK7201
  4. 121B
  5. T95E6

Ranked by Uniqueness  How different is it from existing tech tree vehicles?

1. T95E6
  2. VK7201
  3. 121B
  4. M60
  5. Object 907

Im actually stumped as to which one i actually want. Aesthetically I want an M60. I also kind of want the 121B because i feel like they might buff its dpm. And lastly the 907; I dont have a single RU med anymore, but when I tried out the 907 I kind of liked it. If I could find out whether WG has plans to buff the 121B I'd decide easier.

I'm picking the 121B. I have all of them except the VK7201. I'd rank them as below. But thats without being able to try out the DPM. Its still only 100 dpm below a tier 9 mediums level though (identical to the PTA which people seem to manage). Generally 9 mediums have good dpm, while 10s have crushing dpm. Do doubt the tank has to do lots to make up for the higher MM weight, but 8.07s at maximum is still enough to go 2 to 1 with most HTs. China MT players should be used to long reloads with the 121 being the only relatively fast one in the whole tree!

Ranked by Power by Crab  Based on whether the tank is actually good

1. Object 907
  2. M60
  3. 121B
  4. VK7201
  5. T95E6
26 minutes ago, Zepherex said:

I'm torn between 121B and VK. I have crews for both and I already own a 907 and M60

Im slightly torn, but Im much like DM and don't have this thing for RU Clones. I'd get the 907 above all others, but then Id pick

T95E6 cause unique
VK72 cause unique
M60 cause USA
121B cause I don't like RU MTs but considering just because it has alpha and is obviously new

Knowing about the buffs picking the VK is a nobrainer for me.

After the buff it will be an E-100 that trades (reliable)sidearmor for slightly better speed/mobility and much better frontal armor (the LFP will be able to reliably bounce any round with less than 270 penetration and there are still many pubbies who refuse to spam gold) plus you can actually can go hulldown.

The buffed gun will be carboncopy of the current E-100-gun (with the then buffed AP-pen and the dispersion values will also be buffed to E-100-level unlike what @dualmaster333 said (https://vk.com/wotclue?w=wall-70226354_365233))

121B and T95E6 are just glorified dogshit and the M60 is only interesting if you don´t already have the patton.

6 minutes ago, Fabunil said:

Knowing about the buffs picking the VK is a nobrainer for me.

After the buff it will be an E-100 that trades (reliable)sidearmor for slightly better speed/mobility and much better frontal armor (the LFP will be able to reliably bounce any round with less than 270 penetration and there are still many pubbies who refuse to spam gold) plus you can actually can go hulldown.

The buffed gun will be carboncopy of the current E-100-gun (with the then buffed AP-pen and the dispersion values will also be buffed to E-100-level unlike what @dualmaster333 said (https://vk.com/wotclue?w=wall-70226354_365233))

1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

The buffs that the VK72 is reportedly getting makes it exceptionally interesting, with the HUGE buffs to the upper/lower front armor, and the DPM buff. 

So the brief bit I had seen about the VK buffs seems to only be a part of it. With the full list provided above, the tank gets a lot more interesting. Equivalent firepower to the E-100 is good. The frontal armor starts to get really good - straight on the upper front plate reaches 360+ effective while the LFP reaches 310-320. That's better than the VK4502B. Meanwhile the turret only has a thin strip on each side of the mantlet that can be easily penetrated. So it should be really tough from the front with the only real weakness being the 170 region on the side during side scrapes.

I'm also undecided between the 907, 121B, and VK7201. The 907 is by far the most useful, but I already have a T-62A and 140 that I never play because wedges are boring.  I feel like the 121B is likely to get a DPM buff and at that point it could become a reasonably fun tank....but again it is already similar to tanks I don't play. After looking at the supertest buffs for the VK I am leaning toward choosing that. The idea of a 4502B (which I enjoy) at tier 10 sounds pretty fun. I envision poking my front around a corner at a steep angle and bouncing JPE HEAT rounds off my lower plate.  Or triple VK platoons rushing field on Malinovka Maus style...

21KU5fl.jpg

VK it is then me thinks too, just cause speshul and mad buffs. Though I reckon 121B will get buffs too but I got 907 already and 113 to satisfy my ruski med needs anyway so meh.

Thanks for the overview @dualmaster333.

I received the Obj907 from last year's event, and when it is left alone to do work or get to camo snipe it is quite good. However I've found it has an extremely high yolo-factor.... it gets charged down or prioritized more often than any of the other RU meds I've been playing(repetedly having had pubbies yolo through 3 or more other tanks to get at me, hull down supporting-- WAT?!).  Other reward tanks suffer the same fate?

.. or maybe I play it differently than the other RU meds and I haven't noticed so I can change it.
 I picked up the 907 because of the potential "usefulness" factor for CWs.. ish.. and the gotta get em all RU meds.. Which is sorta useful when tank-locking is a thing.

I'm looking for something with fun-factor. VK LOOKS fun.. but when ever I fight against a VK. I guess I'm somewhat one of those semi-intelligent players that just punches the ezpen gimmieXP and credits button over and over until it dies and I can look forward a "OMGluckyblushitter"  hate-message after the game.

• I'm curious... a lot of German heavies have the ammorack mid-body/under the turret.. when the weak spot gets penned does this also suffer ammorack damage?

I'm guessing that the alternative to side scraping in this is to poke corners like the VKB? front to enemy and hide the inside drive wheel?

Reasons toconsider the others(?)

-M60 becase it is an iconic tank.. It doesn't have an HD model yet so there's a  chance that it will get the M48 treatment when they finally get around to updating the model, I like the M48 quite a bit. Also more murica > less murica.

-121B... I have a 4 skill Chinese Med crew... I picked up the 121.. I like it somewhat but that 3.5 degrees of gun dep.. is just.. so frustrating to play with sometimes. With a ROF buff this would be quite fun I think, more comfortable than the 121.

-After a full year, the T95E6 has been mostly left alone, there's been one set of buffs to it and WG hasn't touched it since.... I want it because 'MURKA.. but I can do without taking something I'm going to struggle in. .. so.. not likely to pick.. ever. too bad.  because: more murica > less murica.

I actually like the T95E6. Sure its not great, but you have the dope E5 comfort gun handling, and if you can hide the cupola its got decent armour. 

Its like a bad tank but not a bad tank, if that makes sense? Probably not.

Im going to get the 121B. The M60 is just a worse M48, no reason to own an worse version of an already sub par tank, and i dont like slow tanks so the VK was out of the equation before it even began. 

Of all the reward tanks i would say 907 is by far the best, simply because 1) its op dpm/armor 2) you can kind of use it in clan wars if your caller allows it

Atm i have m60,vk7201k and 907 in garage, looking at getting either the 121B or T95E6 for this campaign(if i do) but i already have the regular 121 so might go for the T95E6. Don't really play the m60 or vk7201k in pubs because they both aren't really that good although buff to vk7201k might make it more fun in pubs. M60 however just is less superior to m48 so.. But still kind of fun to play imo

T95E6 is basically a bouncier m60 with the e5 gun so its actually good for pubs as well. 121B doesn't seem that good as it is right now.

121b will get buffed like the 907 before im pretty sure of that and also i'm a medium player so even with the buffs, i will not choose the vk (plus i dont have any german heavies so..) but the 121b

Meh l never liked the chinese tanks so VK will be mine since l have E6,907and l would never pick M60 since M48 is better . Also l feel like heavys are more fun this days while you eat, drink and watch someone on twitch :tanfiesta:

I picked the T95E6, and I actually like it.  I am running food, so the DPM and gun handling aren't exactly low, when compared to other tanks that aren't using food.  I have very rarely burned, mostly from arty HE pens.  It does get racked if shot in the LFP area, even through the tracks, so I run large repair kit.  The armor, while unreliable, is good for a lot of frontal bounces, sometimes even from TD guns.  Having a 120mm lets you overmatch the M103's hull roof, as well as anything else under 40mm.  All in all, it *is* a bad tank, but it can be fun to play.  If WG gave it an engine power buff, and maybe did something to the cupola, it would go from a novelty to a pretty useful tank.  Next tank I get is probably going to be the 907 or the VK72, because the 121B looks terrible and the M60 is just a worse M48, as everyone has already said.  

Think i'm going with the VK as well.  A 45.02B at tier 10 with a similar armor profile sounds like fun.  Already have M60 and 907, don't really feel like the E6 would be fun, and the 121b doesn't look competitive as-is.

How does the E6 compare to the M48? I love the patton, but im still up in the air of if I want it over another slow pushbox (not particularly).

10 hours ago, kreigermann said:

-M60 becase it is an iconic tank.. It doesn't have an HD model yet so there's a  chance that it will get the M48 treatment when they finally get around to updating the model, I like the M48 quite a bit. Also more murica > less murica.

M60 already has an HD model, so nobuffs4u :feelsbad: