Never

4 Years of WoTLabs

6 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

4 years? Is it really? Welp. 

WAIT NEVER DOES THAT MEAN YOU WERE LIKE 19 WHEN YOU MADE WOTLABS?

I'm 25 now lol, so I was 21 when I made WoTLabs.

8 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

4 years? Is it really? Welp. 

WAIT NEVER DOES THAT MEAN YOU WERE LIKE 19 WHEN YOU MADE WOTLABS?

Get on my level, i was 13 when Wotlabs was made :serb: 

5 minutes ago, leggasiini said:

Get on my level, i was 13 when Wotlabs was made :serb: 

Nice.

I was 12. I'm sure there's plenty out there that are younger than me as well.

I was 12 when WoTLabs was started, and 14 when I joined. I've only been around for half of its existence.

Boy, have I seen some shit.

Warning: Pretty image-heavy.
The anime takeover and all the threads it spawned:

XNclm65.png

Older layout:

GcZ9O4I.png

Memes:

j1jKHEa.png
vf3a6lw.png
yZ6igO6.png

Pika Revolution:

f9ZkuDK.png

More memes:

mmyxcqz.jpg
epLPPTo.png
70lHYRt.png
7isO3Ob.jpg

16 hours ago, zapyoug said:

How exactly did wotlabs start?

Tell me a story :popcorn:

Probably a few different stories, from different perspectives.  Here's mine:

The roots go back to the official forums.  There were a brave few on that forum who believed in the triumph of logic and reason over pubbiedumb.  We carefully crafted arguments and examples, trying to show people that a single player can make a difference on a team of 15.  That winning isn't simply a matter of getting a good team, or platooning, or hacking, etc.  And, maybe, to show that "play for fun" and "play to win" were not mutually exclusive.  

There were guides, videos, statistical analysis, etc.  Sometimes, a bit got through.  More often, good posts would be buried in the red sea.  Masses of unhelpful comments, or straight out denial of the evidence.  We were basically trying to teach evolution in Kansas.  Or, wherever it is that deniers congregate outside of the Free People's Democratic Republic of New Trumpistan.  

Those of us who worshiped at the altar of Statistics generally knew our own, and talked from time to time.  Some of us shared a common dream of offering up high quality content that was not moderated by Wargaming's general incompetence, or their concerns over legality and fairness.  We didn't want a fair place.  We wanted a place where idiocy was ridiculed, but a helping hand was extended afterward.  I remember discussing ideas with Allurai many times.

Also in this time, there was a nice little site called WoTLabs.  It had taken the torch dropped by Tanks of Science.  It collected statistical data, compiled it, and offered it up for consumption.  No bias, just a simple yet beautiful collection of data.  We had used it as a reference many times.  Starting to examine the correlations which would eventually build the later WN ratings.  But times were still tough on the official forum.  Correcting idiots lead to bans, and some great content was ridiculed by deniers.

One night, Allurai tells me he thinks he's convinced Neverwish, the guy behind WoTLabs, to host a new forum.  He also says he thinks he can get Solono on board.  Before that point, I had only thought of it as a nice dream.  Suddenly, it became a potential reality.  Minds met.  Discussions were had.  In addition to being a source of high level content, moderated by competent players, we could introduce a less restrictive version of CR/D.  We could also bring in some of the Old Guard who had been banned.  Finally, we could Name and Shame without fear of punishment.  

A short time later, I got an invite, and was able to see the early version.  We were selectively bringing good players in, and were starting to amass content.  I "formalized" my association at this point and joined the moderation team.  We chanced a few things, made a few things more presentable, invited a few more players.  We eventually got to the point where we though we were ready for the word of mouth campaign.  We started plugging the site on the main forums.  Never put a link up on the stats page.  People started flowing in.

4 years later, an occasional tanks related post shows up among the anime/furry/hawt gais threads we're now known for.  We have a drink and try not to cry, like eternally disappointed fathers who nonetheless love their sons.  

Who misses Garbad and that other fellow with their epeen wars?

*raises hand*

I know I do. And then I distinctly remember a superuni whose playstyle involved farming so much damage that he ballasted his winrates into the 70s. Again, his name eludes me. They were like Tazilion except probably even more toxic and certainly better at the game.

But then again, it's so nice and quiet and peaceful and not toxic after they're gone.It's almost like people are actually discussing pixel tonks instead of unzipping their pants and comparing **** sizes.

Anyway, I was much shittier of a shitter back then and probably did nothing but lurking trying to git gud in my Tiger II or *insert wehraboo flavour of the month* tank.

Oh, and I think there used to be many more furries around. Let's not go into the detail. Today there are mostly weebs. And I mean weebs of all shapes and sizes. Weebs who post about.....Boku no Pico and whatnot. Weebs who went to play Warships and never came back after discovering that they could spam 'POI' in chat and somebody out there would give shits, actual, real shits.

Then again, who am I to judge?

3 minutes ago, Deusmortis said:

The version in the Patreon area is more active.  

we should start a brand new official one, I think its been long enough 

8 hours ago, Deusmortis said:

4 years later, an occasional tanks related post shows up among the anime/furry/hawt gais threads we're now known for.  We have a drink and try not to cry, like eternally disappointed fathers who nonetheless love their sons.  

I think a lot of the reason for this is, along with the game slowing down a lot, a lot of the original content creators have gone and died from the game. RBS/MaxL/Valachio/Garbad(yes he made some good content) and not a lot of people were picking up the slack.

yes people are commenting and giving advice, but the age where we had so much new information and content about WoT flowing in has died off.

the other problem is, a lot of the people who frequent the forum don't even play the game any more, but stick around for the community. so while they don't post about the game, they post in the other areas. and gradually the number of people that don't play the game are starting to out grow the number of people who do. meaning theres even less content.

still, this is a great community to be a part of, and I myself have learned a LOT from it, not only about WoT, but about so many other things as well, not even game/computer related things. and I've made heaps of really great friends - one of which I am going to meet IRL next week :P