Sign in to follow this  
ZXrage

How do you win in this game?

Slowly, little by little, I'm being convinced that winning in this game is just a roll of the dice.
CrJ2FVu.png
I don't even think I'm doing badly. If someone is willing to review a match, I'd be more than happy to provide a replay or two. But fuck, this has gone on for the last  ~100 games. I'm sick of doing my damn best and just losing.

How do you fucking win?

i mean how to win in this game, not win this game. Winning this game is quitting xDDD

5 hours ago, zapyoug said:

Change what your doing by default, take a break, play tanks capable of brute forcing your way through enemies, recruit your dead friends to come back and carry you, uninstall

I prefer #3 personally 

Run triple platoons of IS6/112/KV5/T110E5. As long as you and your platoonmates are not autistic/mongoloid/vegetables, you ought to get a 60% winrate at least. 

I get bad strings of a hundred or so battles where I'm on the Rofl-stompED team battle after battle. In fact just had one of those strings and I'm just recovering from it. 

I took over my son's account after a few hundred battles. When I'm getting bad luck on my reg account, I switch to his. Just T5-6 tanks so far (only about 1500 battles). But it's relaxing and the luck seems to change.  Got 68% in my last 50 or so battles the past few days on that account after struggling to stay above 50% on my own  

These things happen. It's the long run that balances out.  A hundred or so battles can stack against you, and that sucks, but, overall, you'll win as much as your own ability allows. 

12 hours ago, ZXrage said:

<snip>

Clearly your current playstyle is not working, so the simple solution is to try something different. Play more aggressively, less aggressively, different tank types than your usual, etc.

Do you have a tank that you just can't seem to lose in? Play that one for a few battles and try to pick up what you do well when playing that tank that you can apply to your other matches. 

As long as you learn something from every failure, trial and error over a large number of battles will lead you to better results.

31 minutes ago, TheLovePanda said:

Clearly your current playstyle is not working, so the simple solution is to try something different. Play more aggressively, less aggressively, different tank types than your usual, etc.

Do you have a tank that you just can't seem to lose in? Play that one for a few battles and try to pick up what you do well when playing that tank that you can apply to your other matches. 

As long as you learn something from every failure, trial and error over a large number of battles will lead you to better results.

I like your name 

Also realize that you are literally talking about 10 games in your last 7 days.  It happens sometimes, just like you probably also have anomalous 70+% solo sessions.  I would not sweat it too much.  Oh, and get a Luchs and a couple of friends - wins and wins and wins and wins . . .  

3 hours ago, Victrix said:

I think its te inflation of bad players coming back to grind their tanks because of the constant x3s and sales.

2 hours ago, Tman450 said:

Sometimes it's legit hard with what teams do in this game.

21 hours ago, ZXrage said:

I'm sick of doing my damn best and just losing.

Now raise your right hand and repeat after me....

I only lose games because its my fault, I failed my team and didn't carry to victory.

It may sound odd, but you obviously didn't do your best because you didn't win. Or if your goal is damage farming, you may have done your best to damage farm, and the wins went out the door.

I would offer that you are the reason for your losses and not the teams, over the past month I have been running a consistent 65-70% solo in tier 8s. Send out a couple replays for me to look at, we are getting the exact same teams, its just a matter of what you do to carry for a win.

I will agree that if you aren't focused and/or tilted, then yes it seems like the teams fault, but when it reality its still you :doge: 

3 hours ago, Joyrider216 said:

Now raise your right hand and repeat after me....

I only lose games because its my fault, I failed my team and didn't carry to victory.

It may sound odd, but you obviously didn't do your best because you didn't win. Or if your goal is damage farming, you may have done your best to damage farm, and the wins went out the door.

I would offer that you are the reason for your losses and not the teams, over the past month I have been running a consistent 65-70% solo in tier 8s. Send out a couple replays for me to look at, we are getting the exact same teams, its just a matter of what you do to carry for a win.

I will agree that if you aren't focused and/or tilted, then yes it seems like the teams fault, but when it reality its still you :doge: 

I lose games because I fail to carry my team in tier ten matches with my tier 8 tank. Fuck.

Now just give me tier 10 HP and tier 10 gun, and I will be able to carry my team as a bottom tier tank.

I honestly think I have an average tier game of 9.3 in my tier 8 tanks that are not preff.

Edited by Victrix

12 hours ago, ZXrage said:

aKSPaI6.png

What he meant is that the DIFFERENCE between games won and games lost across those 173 battles is less than 10 battles.  Five more wins instead of losses and you'd have been above 50%. FIVE.  

This is a game where small real differences make fairly impressive percentage differences. That's why only percentage over the long haul is really significant. If I play five battles, and win three, I'm at 60%, but I lost almost as many as I won, by one battle only.  Flip that win and I'm at 40%. Even a small difference over almost 200 battles means fairly conceptually impressive swings in percentage, as you see in your case. 

In my case, I have strings of hundreds of battles with a win rate in the 60s, and strings of at least a hundred or more battles with win rates in the 40s, but my overall win rate has been steady at 55-56% for about 10,000 battles. I imagine I could change that if I only played tanks I seem to understand well enough to do very well in  But I have tank ADD and can't quit grinding lines.  Still, across only a few hundred battles, the real difference between WR in the 70s and WR in the 50s isn't that many battles  

Again, regardless of what all these guys are saying about skill and performance and losing being your fault, this is a game of random teams where the mean is heavily weighted to the middle, and very good players win only a little more than they lose.  That's why a win rate above 55% is great. Over the long haul, after all, less than 1/10th of 1 percent do better than a win rate in the 50s. 

Since returning to the game after about a year away, I've enjoyed it a lot more by just focusing on my own play, playing to win and trying to figure out how to do that in each battle (and that's the real challenge because each battle is different) and not worrying about these metrics. It's not a game about percentages and pretty colors,  it's a game about driving little pixel tanks and shooting others enough to win. And I have to be happy with playing as well as I can and winning only a little more than I lose in the long run. 

One of the worst parts of the game is being good enough to know when you are not doing anything to win the game, but not being good enough to know what you should do :) Happens to me a lot more often than I would like, I don't think I lose games(ie. suicide in the beginning, make super stupid decisions later, go to useless places etc) that much, but way too often I'm not winning them either. This play style seems to stabilize around 59% to 60% solo wr in the long run with the tanks I play. When I watch guys with over 60 %, they do make a lot more game winning moves where I would play more passively, sometimes they fail but more often not. So perhaps that is your problem also. If you are not winning games, you should ask yourself why you should win them? Are you doing something that should make you win games? In a game of 15 v 15, you really need to do something special to expect to win remarkably more than half of your games.

And yes, win rate in the short term is luck, but on the other hand, if you base line is around 60 %, then your bad luck session is 50 %. But if your base line is 50 %, then that same bad luck session is easily 40 %...

15 hours ago, ZXrage said:

aKSPaI6.png

I'm not sure why you quoted me with something everyone can see . . . but to illustrate my point - 10 games is all that separates you from a losing streak and your recent WR.  Actually, I was off a bit, looks like 12 games to make your recent WR.

14 hours ago, Strigonx said:

pretend you're playing a 1v29 game and eventually you can start winning

1 v 29 aren't very good odds, even against 29 pubbies. eventually one of them is gonna tk you for playing too well.

12 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

I'm not sure why you quoted me with something everyone can see . . . but to illustrate my point - 10 games is all that separates you from a losing streak and your recent WR.  Actually, I was off a bit, looks like 12 games to make your recent WR.

I misinterpreted, sorry :)