Deusmortis

Need a game suggestion for a work event

So, in the ultimate expression of goofing off at work, I have officially been tasked with finding and setting up a good old LAN party.  Part of the ship's holiday expo.  Apparently, my manager feels we can best demonstrate what the IT department does by setting up a game.  Or, maybe he wants us to do something less boring than our usual "Free virus scans!" booth...

So, I need to find something that fits this criteria:

LAN multiplayer - I prefer PVP, but a CO-OP mode could be nice as well.

Accessible.  Not something that requires memorization of a moves list.

Entertaining to watchers as well as players:   People walking by should be able to have an idea what is going on.  

Quick games:  Probably 5-15 minutes.

Able to run on our hardware.  We'll likely be using stock Dell Optiplex 7010s:  I5, Integrated graphics (Intel 2500 or so) 32bit Win7, 4gb RAM.  

Free or nearly free.

Minimal setup.  I don't need something where everyone sets up usernames, has to bind an email address, etc.  I want them to enter a name (optional), sit and go.

Any ideas?  Alien Arena was the first thing that came to mind, but I don't know it all that well.  Will test a bit later.

simple single player pc station - option for a HighScore Event with prices:

http://www.computerbild.de/fotos/Bildergalerie-100-kostenlose-Spiele-3745934.html#42

2 players on 1 PC against each other or via LAN

http://www.computerbild.de/fotos/Bildergalerie-100-kostenlose-Spiele-3745934.html#54

could also be used to setup a tournament. Played the first one ~15 years ago on LAN parties (fuck I m getting old)

Call of duty 2 (not the advanced shit parkour game but the good old wwii one) and CS 1.6 (not the new purple dildo/knife shit).

Another vote for UT99 - either instagib or rocket launcher only could be fun, CTF if you have 5v5, DM is 4v4 and 10 player FFA DM are all good options. 

LAN....Battleships?

3 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

Another quake vote here.  If they want to dial back the violent content then Worms would be fun.

Indeed. With regards to Worms, would recommend the very newest one. Worms WMD returns the game to its 2D roots and (as a side-effect) runs a lot better than the previous 3D ones. Which is not to say Worms Clan Wars wasn't great, drowning enemy works with water drops was great fun but it did place more stress on the old GPU.

Original Halo. I have it, can give it to you if you want. Just grab the folder, open it up on all the PCs, set up a LAN game, hours of fun and its simple to get into.

Graphics are trash though, but hey, at least it will run well lol. 

(Oh and the highest resolution you can get out of it is 1600x900)

Played it at a friends lan party for hours and hours, we had 8 of us. 4v4. 

On 13/12/2016 at 0:42 AM, Deusmortis said:

Entertaining to watchers as well as players:   People walking by should be able to have an idea what is going on.  

Entertaining to watch? Are there really any games that qualify for this? :-)

I saw a great thing at an event a few years ago. They had a projector as the screen and about 40 gamepads plugged into a bunch of piggybacked USB hubs and some specially written games for up to 64 players. They were really simple affairs like little side-scrolling dogfight games, or a game with little pirate ships with players randomly assigned to either gunner or driver (where half the fun was working out who you'd been partnered with).

You could just pick up a pad and join in.

34 minutes ago, BattleMetalChris said:

I saw a great thing at an event a few years ago. They had a projector as the screen and about 40 gamepads plugged into a bunch of piggybacked USB hubs and some specially written games for up to 64 players. They were really simple affairs like little side-scrolling dogfight games, or a game with little pirate ships with players randomly assigned to either gunner or driver (where half the fun was working out who you'd been partnered with).

You could just pick up a pad and join in.

Yeah..........I suspect they're not going to be able to do anything like that...