Valachio

1440p IPS vs 1080p 144hz?

Which is better?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 1440p IPS vs 1080p 144hz?

• 1440p IPS 60hz
    • 1080p TN 144hz

I currently have a 1080p 60hz TN display and I'm looking to upgrade.

I can choose to get a 1440p IPS display at 60hz refresh speed.  I get a higher resolution and better color display, however I won't get that higher refresh rate.  I might be playing other games like Mass Effect Andromeda in the future so this option is better for those games.

I can also choose to get a 1080p TN display at 144hz refresh speed.  I get better refresh rate which makes playing Tanks more enjoyable (my fps in Tanks never drops below 100) but I miss out on a better display experience.  The 144hz monitor is kind of useless for upcoming games like Mass Effect Andromeda because I probably won't be able to run those games at 100+ fps, unless I SLI my 970.

Or actually I can splurge and get a 4k IPS monitor.  I'm not sure if my 970 can run WoT at 4k at 60fps though.

What are your thoughts on this?  Thanks.

I'd honestly save the money til it's not an either/or choice or go nuts and pull the trigger on a 4k IPS / 34" curved 144hz jobbie if you have more money than watches.

Since you're running a 970 it doesn't seem like there's much option and I would say the 1080p monitor as 970s don't tend to perform that well 1440p for most games (below 60 FPS) - especially if you plan on playing things maxed out or close to max.

5 hours ago, Valachio said:

I currently have a 1080p 60hz TN display and I'm looking to upgrade.

I can choose to get a 1440p IPS display at 60hz refresh speed.  I get a higher resolution and better color display, however I won't get that higher refresh rate.  I might be playing other games like Mass Effect Andromeda in the future so this option is better for those games.

I can also choose to get a 1080p TN display at 144hz refresh speed.  I get better refresh rate which makes playing Tanks more enjoyable (my fps in Tanks never drops below 100) but I miss out on a better display experience.  The 144hz monitor is kind of useless for upcoming games like Mass Effect Andromeda because I probably won't be able to run those games at 100+ fps, unless I SLI my 970.

Or actually I can splurge and get a 4k IPS monitor.  I'm not sure if my 970 can run WoT at 4k at 60fps though.

What are your thoughts on this?  Thanks.

You are approaching the situation from the wrong direction in my opinion. Usually it's the monitor that lasts several GPU generations for most users and not the other way around.

What else beside gaming do you use that PC for? If you 're also designing products with it, colour accuracy and good viewing angles are important.

Are you aware of 27" 1440p IPS displays with IPS panels with 144 Hz?

5 hours ago, Tigeh said:

I'd honestly save the money til it's not an either/or choice or go nuts and pull the trigger on a 4k IPS / 34" curved 144hz jobbie if you have more money than watches.

Currently there are no 4K 144Hz monitors, 3440x1440 with 100 Hz is the "max".

I have a 970, and it runs most stuff on 1440p high without any problem. Plus it's really nice for doing regular computer stuff. 

I was picking between a 1440p 60Hz IPS display and a 1080p 144Hz display, I went with the latter. No regrets, next display is definitely a 1440p 144Hz display(120Hz but those are mostly rare). It's not just in fast movement games, you notice it everywhere even in desktop use.

IPS is nice, I agree on that but would I ever go to 60Hz again just for better colors? Fuck no. It's either going to be an IPS 1440p 144Hz monitor or nothing at all. People saying higher refresh rate makes next to no difference never used one. 4K monitor is something I personally would never even consider, I'm ok with not getting eyebleed from the low framerates.

3 hours ago, CandyVanMan said:

Buying a monitor without IPS in 2016 is like buying a phone with buttons and no colour screen.

VA pannels are actually really nice these days. Far nicer blacks, much lower backlight bleed and no IPS glow. There's even a few with very good response time and hardly any input lag.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-pb328q-32-inch-amva-qhd-monitor,4427.html

Also, fuck TN, seriously. 

3 hours ago, Siimcy said:

I was picking between a 1440p 60Hz IPS display and a 1080p 144Hz display, I went with the latter. No regrets, next display is definitely a 1440p 144Hz display(120Hz but those are mostly rare). It's not just in fast movement games, you notice it everywhere even in desktop use.

IPS is nice, I agree on that but would I ever go to 60Hz again just for better colors? Fuck no. It's either going to be an IPS 1440p 144Hz monitor or nothing at all. People saying higher refresh rate makes next to no difference never used one. 4K monitor is something I personally would never even consider, I'm ok with not getting eyebleed from the low framerates.

there are some cheap korean ips 1440p 100hz/120hz panels :serb:or even 3440 1440 /100hz :kappa:

on samsung/au optronics screens, and they seem to have as bad QC as asus/acer 144hz 1440p and pretty shitty input lag:serb:

but its something :trump:

I personally have a 28 inches 60Hz TN 4k samsung monitor (ue590d), and I almost regret not going for a 1440p ips panel sometimes. (btw, the ue590d is a WONDERFUL cheap introduction to 4k, the TN panel is actually pretty great)

If I were in your shoes (and I was), I'd explore a few options:

1. (cheapest) Going dual with a second 1080p monitor. (seriously, you can find some for dirt cheap)
  2. (mid-range) 144Hz 1080p panel. (you might want to try the widescreens, but they cost as much as a 1440p panel, so just upgrade to 1440p at this point)
  3. (not so cheap) Going 1440p ips pannel.
  4. (definitively nowhere cheap) Wait to see if the long-awaited 144Hz ips panels will come out at buy-able prices. (note, this can be combined with option 1)

Given that I broke up with my gf last winter, my budget was... bigger to say the least... And I personally went with option 5: gtx 1080 and 4k screen. (might not be the brightest idea, but it was black friday and god... I just had to)

1440p IPS 144Hz?

Or just get a chinese 1440p overclockable IPS monitor that does ~100-120Hz ez and has fantastic colors over TN garbage shit monitors.

1 minute ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

I agree with @Folterknecht I think you should look into a new GPU as apposed to a new monitor. 

That 's not what I said. I suggested that orienting his TFT upgrade on a last gen GPU that he is currently running isn't the best choice, as GPU lifecycles are usually much shorter than monitor's. 

3 hours ago, hallo1994 said:

60hz is not enough?

Once you go black, you never go back.

Also yes, 970 is not enough for 1440p, not even close. My 390 can just about handle it but it's under water and has stupid clocks and BIOS mods to make it work. And the amount of games using 3.5GB+ of memory are not even rare.

If you only play WOT then just buy the monitor.

1 hour ago, Stige said:

Once you go black, you never go back.

I've been using a 165 Hz monitor for several months and now I find that anything running at 60 Hz looks choppy as hell and is usually uncomfortable to play.

@Valachio

I bought this almost exactly one year ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481703001&sr=8-1&keywords=gsync+27+dell

I've been very happy with it, great price for performance, I went from an IPS to this monitor and haven't really missed it. 144hz, gsync.

Surprisingly good viewing angles and great color.

I was saving up to pick up one of the Acer ultrawide predators when this caught my eye(last year they were having production and QA/QC problems).  Haven't regretted it. 

3 hours ago, bjshnog said:

I've been using a 165 Hz monitor for several months and now I find that anything running at 60 Hz looks choppy as hell and is usually uncomfortable to play.

Yeah it might not be that noticeable when you upgrade from 60Hz but if you go back to 60Hz, you will definitely feel how awful 60Hz is now. There is just no going back.

10 minutes ago, Valachio said:

Wouldn't overclocking the monitor result in worse colors?

Yes it does but they are still nearly spot on when I look at Lagom at 110Hz. It's mostly the brightness that suffers on them.
This is on my 3 year old QNIX QX2710.