How important is a PSU in any rig, really? I've heard a bit about how the wrong one can supposedly prevent upgrades/overclocking completely fuck up your components, or just burst into flames. I realise that the former is fairly self explanatory, but how true are the rumours for the latter? 

In the same vein, what's a good budget PSU which pushes out at least 500 watts? As in preferably $100 AUD (about 60-70 USD)? I was looking at the Corsair VS 550W but my friend says to get one rated 80+ gold or better efficiency. 

IF you spending big money (or any money) at PC, you want quality PSU. I prefer gold ones, because of price and Seasonic is always number one choice for me (back in days Corsair used to have rebranded Seasonics, and letter they started fucking u with CWT).

Around 100eur (110 bucks USD i think) you can buy good 500W unit which is in most cases good for PC in terms of W. 

I saw in my life few burned PCs because of cheap Chinese PSUs, and PSU will probably outlast your PC if is good. 

So yes, good PSU is important. You want "feed" your PC with good voltages and current. 

In my first build several years ago, I went cheap on the PSU. After one and a half year the cooling fan of the PSU failed, and the PSU just overheated. Nothing happened, since I noticed it in time.  I promised myself, that I wont buy cheap PSU ever again.

50 minutes ago, SmurfReroll said:

... what's a good budget PSU which pushes out at least 500 watts? As in preferably $100 AUD (about 60-70 USD)? ...

https://seasonic.com/product/m12ii-520-evo/

^ this one

As for the other questions: 80+ bronze vs 80+ gold doesn't make that much difference except for you using that pc 24/7/365.

edit: + that what folter said

It's the most important component in your PC - comparable to a foundation of a house.

As BlackAdder already said the really cheap ones can cause a fire. That aside

• clean and stable voltage outputs -> stable system.
  • clean and stable voltage outputs -> components in your PC age slower
  • decent hold up time (16ms is spec) can bridge very small problems in the power grid, though the main reason for that spec is to ensure flawless work with a UPS

Efficiency isn't that important though 80+Bronze should be the minimum.

As a general rule, you stick with brands that have made their marks in reliability.

Then, there is 2 options:
-You go with exactly what you needed, in 80+ gold.

-You go with a cheaper model (still within the trusted brands) in 80+ bronze, but a model with more wattage than needed (give your psu some headroom).

The ideal solution being a 80+gold, as they are pretty full-proof.

Small note though: go for the M models (modular). Seriously, it helps cable management so much, and it's worth the extra 5 or 10$.

I always find that Newegg amazon tomshardware etc all run decent quarterly sales on 80+ gold cert PSUs typically from 430 watt to 750/850 watt for corsair and evga . 

At least for modular ones.

The extremely cheap chinese trash ones can actually blow up and take all your hardware with them, stay clear of those ones.

The still too cheap ones won't blow up in your face, but they use low quality components that don't provide as stable power (strain on your components), don't last as long and might not be able to provide the rated wattage. These are usually used in prebuilts

Budget ones from known brands are perfectly safe and do what you need them to without any added extras, anything above that is bonus with higher efficiency or more functionality.

I'd only recommend anything above 80+ Bronze if you're not on a budget, the power savbings are rarely significant enough to offset the price.

+1 for Seasonic, as someone mentioned. get something 80 Plus certified, it'll save you a bit on energy bills. my 620W Seasonic has lasted for a good while, and it's the most quality PSU i've owned.

+1, I have a Rosewill Tachyon 650W which is basically a Seasonic inside, Platinium efficiency even. Got it on sale like 4-5 years ago for 100€ or something.

Doesnt save me any money though cause the setup still takes like 500W from the wall lol, at stock clocks it's probably 300W or even less, PC probably the biggest electrical expense in the whole apartment. Which might make the Platinium certificate actually worth it though.

Invest in a good PSU once and you wont have to change it every 2 years. 

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/15_535/power-supplies/all-models is where I had a quick look. If you're not planning on going SLI or sticking a 1080 etc in it, I'd go for:

Corsair CS450M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - $109

or if you want a bit more overhead with small compromises on efficiency I'd grab the

Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 600W for the same price. - review for 700W tho, but I love quiet/fanless PCs as I get vertigo from fan noise.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-pure-power-9-cm-700-watt-psu-review,1.html

2 hours ago, Tigeh said:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/15_535/power-supplies/all-models is where I had a quick look. If you're not planning on going SLI or sticking a 1080 etc in it, I'd go for:

Corsair CS450M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - $109

or if you want a bit more overhead with small compromises on efficiency I'd grab the

Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 600W for the same price. - review for 700W tho, but I love quiet/fanless PCs as I get vertigo from fan noise.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/be-quiet-pure-power-9-cm-700-watt-psu-review,1.html

My 9x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850rpm) would like to say hello :D

But I don't understand people who go for silly wattages over one GPU when a good 600-650W can do your dual GPU setup for almost any person aswell. Like 450W is more than enough for almost any single GPU setup.
I ran 2x HD7950 + 2500K with a 620W Antec HCG-620 which is not even that good of a PSU.

30 minutes ago, Stige said:

I ran 2x HD7950 + 2500K with a 620W Antec HCG-620 which is not even that good of a PSU.

It's a basic Seasonic design and build ... I ll take that any day of the week over some lower cost Corsair or EVGA offerings

4 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

It's a basic Seasonic design and build ... I ll take that any day of the week over some lower cost Corsair or EVGA offerings

Yeah most of crap from Corsair and EVGA are garbage, and the HCG 620 is not really the good rebadges like most PSUs are that have Seasonic in them, it's just a mediocre PSU really.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620/8.html

On 12/13/2016 at 6:38 AM, SmurfReroll said:

How important is a PSU in any rig, really? I've heard a bit about how the wrong one can supposedly prevent upgrades/overclocking completely fuck up your components, or just burst into flames. I realise that the former is fairly self explanatory, but how true are the rumours for the latter? 

In the same vein, what's a good budget PSU which pushes out at least 500 watts? As in preferably $100 AUD (about 60-70 USD)? I was looking at the Corsair VS 550W but my friend says to get one rated 80+ gold or better efficiency. 

A good PSU is critical.  Google it and you can find articles about why, complete with videos showing shitty PSUs bursting into flames and taking the entire computer with them.

12 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

A good PSU is critical.  Google it and you can find articles about why, complete with videos showing shitty PSUs bursting into flames and taking the entire computer with them.

Aside all tests, who would buy Ferrari and put on Tigar tires? 

Same goes with PC, you put 300+ eur into single component and you save money on component that is essential for feeding whole system. 

So yes, i think PSU should be in price range with other components. Plus PSU ages much better than gpu for example... 

1 minute ago, BlackAdder said:

Aside all tests, who would buy Ferrari and put on Tigar tires? 

Same goes with PC, you put 300+ eur into single component and you save money on component that is essential for feeding whole system. 

So yes, i think PSU should be in price range with other components. Plus PSU ages much better than gpu for example... 

Yup.  If money is tight, most people can use a cheaper case nine times out of ten.  I was looking at full size cases and full ATX mobos until you suggested a micro in a mini tower.  I bet case and mobo are where people overspend and they try to save by skimping on the PSU and storage.

Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

Yup.  If money is tight, most people can use a cheaper case nine times out of ten.  I was looking at full size cases and full ATX mobos until you suggested a micro in a mini tower.  I bet case and mobo are where people overspend and they try to save by skimping on the PSU and storage.

This reminds me, i must hunt down some case. 3 years without one :D 

7 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

This reminds me, i must hunt down some case. 3 years without one :D 

Got you covered.  Get this thing:  https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811146066

It looks awesome to me.  Might make Folter develop a migraine though.  XD

Just now, FlorbFnarb said:

Got you covered.  Get this thing:  https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811146066

It looks awesome to me.  Might make Folter develop a migraine though.  XD

I dont like ricers :kappa:

I have to inspect some cooltek cases, because of lengthy card, predator 240 and drives. As i said i would go for ITX if i can find 4 RAM board. But there is none. 

Yeah, I'm not much on the glowing fans and coolant tubes bit either.  I just like that color red and the sort of angular/curved thing that case has going.  It looks like a rocket ship from a science fiction novel cover to me.

What are you doing with your computer now?

15 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Like right now streaming Dexter to laptop.

... o_o

No, I meant what are you doing with whatever computer isn't in a case at the moment?  That's what I took you to mean.  Like you have a naked computer lying around without a case.