Kymrel

Stick to Ripper Patton or get STA-2

With the recent buffs to the Ripper Patton and the STA-2, is there any reason to get the STA-2 if I already have (and enjoy) the Patton? I have a good crew for both tanks and love tanks with gun depression. They just seem very similar in game play, perhaps too similar. STA-2 is a little faster and has better terrain resistance, but the Patton now has decent turret armor and better hull armor as well. STA-2 has shorter aim time and slightly better accuracy, as well as 20 better pen (certainly not trivial), but the Patton has better soft stats on the gun.

Just wondering if I should pick up the STA-2 if it gets discounted...

I have both and i have to say that both tanks are really good. For tier 8 meds. Both have good gun handling (m46 has better), both have similar speed and vr and stuff like that. STA2 has the edge in the ammo choice (esp in tier 10 battles) but m46 now has this mantlet that makes the world of difference imo. So yeah, both tanks are as good as tier 8 meds can be, and fun enough to play.

I bought the STA-2 for a friend and honestly don't think I'd pick it up over a Patton. It's probably the best form of "typical med" you can pick up, but the lack of standout features like the KR's decent turret and great gun handling make it a little too inflexible for me. Typical T8 med gameplay just doesn't work at all sometimes, and the STA-2 brings nothing to the table to force people to treat it like anything else.

i have an STA-2, i haven't got the Patton KR

the STA-2 is a good reflection of what you can expect of the Japanese medium tank line from tier VIII-X. 

the speed increase is great news, since I tend to play the STA-2 as a mobile flanker and skirmisher, as well as being able to relocate and respond to situations in other flanks

i'm not quite sure if i'd get the Patton KR, since I have enough tier 8 premiums as it is (and a Fury and T23E3) and i'm about to get an M60.

If you want one - get one.

You won't be disappointed and it's a good crew trainer/money maker anyway, useable in T8 strongholds too - depending on your typical tactics/FCs... some people like to try-hard and others do a 'bring your tank to work day'.

The STA-2 was good before the last 'buff' - which to me was more of a nerf, but now it's got what I would consider a decent buff making it even better. If you want to compare to a KR Patton then don't. They both have similar play-styles but with some major differences.

The KR gets the better ammo choices as APCR >> HEAT and you will spam some APCR so it won't make a HUGE amount of credits unless top tier. The added bonus to flight time will mean you will just fire more as it's 'easier'

I have a lovely crew I could train further, and did love the Japanese tier 8 and 9 meds, but what you guys have written has sort of convinced me to get something else over the STA-2. The playstyle of the two vehicles is very similar. I might give in, simply because apparently I have more money than sense, but I'll probably not since I love the Ripper Patton and the buffed turret and HE-proof front hull are nice features.

Get an M4 Rev. 

Ripper Patton & STA-2 are both very good, but pretty similar, M4 Rev offers something a bit different to them (Alpha and high shell velocity) for a trade of top speed, whilst still having comfy gun depression and gun handling.

IMO best non-pref tier 8 premiums are now STA-2, M4 Rev, M46 KR, Patriot, Liberte and Skorpion, maybe with IS3-A just behind.

Those tanks are as good as anything on tier 8. 

+ M41 GF for tier 8 creditholds because it's useful having an actual light. 

55 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Get an M4 Rev. 

Ripper Patton & STA-2 are both very good, but pretty similar, M4 Rev offers something a bit different to them (Alpha and high shell velocity) for a trade of top speed, whilst still having comfy gun depression and gun handling.

IMO best non-pref tier 8 premiums are now STA-2, M4 Rev, M46 KR, Patriot, Liberte and Skorpion, maybe with IS3-A just behind.

Those tanks are as good as anything on tier 8. 

+ M41 GF for tier 8 creditholds because it's useful having an actual light. 

Patriot > Liberte/Skorpion > rest

IS3A is garbage, not even close to any of those. Same gun as IS-5 = useless tank.

DezGamez is giving away TWO STA-2s this month as a reward for reaching 100K subscribers -- try your luck in winning one from his youtube channel!

3 hours ago, Stige said:

Patriot > Liberte/Skorpion > rest

IS3A is garbage, not even close to any of those. Same gun as IS-5 = useless tank.

IS3A is IS3 hull and essentially same turret, it's piss easy to do well in just because of that and 390 alpha. It's better than most other tier 8 heavies already. 

I'd also personally rather play a Rev over the Skorpion, Skorpion is over rated. 

3 hours ago, tajj7 said:

IS3A is IS3 hull and essentially same turret, it's piss easy to do well in just because of that and 390 alpha. It's better than most other tier 8 heavies already. 

I'd also personally rather play a Rev over the Skorpion, Skorpion is over rated. 

Yes I agree that Skorpion is a bit overrated and somewhat situational.

IS-3A might have almost the same armor as IS-3 but the gun is so ridiculously bad it makes the tank completely unplayable like the IS-5 is. And the normal ammo is APCR with less penetration than IS-3 AP.
It just isn't a good tank in any way anymore, it might have been OK when it was introduced but not anymore.

Well, Dez did not give me a free STA-2, but since I'm really enjoying grinding credits for my meatball tanks with the Patton KR and Scorp (and occasionally the AMX Liberté) I'll leave the STA-2 alone for now. Better go for something different if I add to the collection. Black bulldog or that T92 light sound nice...

I love M46 KR, but since I also caved in and bought Patriot...

M46 KR is a good tank, and now it's even better... but Patriot is still just miles ahead of it. It's a tank that can literally do it all, and come out as winner.

In tier 8 games without arty, if you can play Patriot as hulldown, it's basically GG for the enemy team.