Ruestir

Dealing with destroyers on your team

I'm less than 100 games in and enjoying ships so far, but I have to say there are a few things that seem fairly obvious to me when there are DD's on your team.

1.  When you are playing a DD don't fire torpedoes when you have allies between you and your target.  This will end badly.

2. Don't tunnel vision on the enemy.  You may have an ally who decided to change direction and is getting ready to cross your path.

3. To avoid getting an allied torpedo or torpedoes up the ass refrain from driving between a DD who is broadside to the enemy.  They may be tunnel visioned trying to line up the shot and not notice you until it's too late.

I know this is pretty obvious stuff, but this happened last night.  In retrospect I believe the "incident" was equal parts of 2 and 3 as I'm usually pretty good about 1.

Good points, but few people are willing to wait for a shot. 

Another point worth mentioning is know your torp range. Many players with short range Torps shoot at ships way out of range. This acts as an area denial attack on the green team and will get teammates killed by cutting down on their ability to dodge Torps and shells.

Over time you need to also understand which cruisers rely on their torps as well, so you don't accidentally "cock block" them by barreling into an enemy and dying - leaving your sinking hulk as an effective torp barrier.  A sinking ships is good for almost 30 seconds of insta barrier, a good tactical option if it's available.

44 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Over time you need to also understand which cruisers rely on their torps as well, so you don't accidentally "cock block" them by barreling into an enemy and dying - leaving your sinking hulk as an effective torp barrier.  A sinking ships is good for almost 30 seconds of insta barrier, a good tactical option if it's available.

On the other hand ending up as a wreck due to a torp run, is a poorly executed torp run in the first place :tanfiesta:

From my (limited) experience in DDs the situations where I most often end up like a wreck, is when I haven't scouted properly before committing and don't have a plan for disengaging. If especially the latter is not taken care of, one is asking for a bad situation tbh (like in WoT etc.).

Good points, but the worst us when you fire your 10km torps at a near max range target, with no allies anywherr near in sight. Then suddenly, right at the end of their run before they hit the perfectly lead target (because Iwaki A seal clubbing) a moron in a cruiser has someone managed to drive from absolutely miles away just so he can purposely eat your torps or something  eats them, saves the BB they were meant for, and then spends the entire game bitching at you for "firing torps near allies"

Meanwhile im like "Bitch the torps travel time is 50 odd seconds to where you got hit. It aint nothing but your own fault for taking those."

And that is why you see a lot of pink players. Ive only ever turned pink because of retards that literally try to take friendly torps, i swear. Im super careful with them.

Friendly torpedoes are announced on screen LONG before enemy torpedoes are normally detected - they are sighted from launch and can be viewed at any time by using the free look button.    Tunnel vision is real for a lot of these players who drive in front of 10k and up torps.  Thankfully your secondary's don't hit allies anymore like they used to, Bismarck players would be perma pink.

Yep, you have to be a special kind of stupid to take a friendly torp fired at anything further than 5km frankly. I mean, they even give the same warning as enemy torps

14 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Good points, but the worst us when you fire your 10km torps at a near max range target, with no allies anywherr near in sight. Then suddenly, right at the end of their run before they hit the perfectly lead target (because Iwaki A seal clubbing) a moron in a cruiser has someone managed to drive from absolutely miles away just so he can purposely eat your torps or something  eats them, saves the BB they were meant for, and then spends the entire game bitching at you for "firing torps near allies"

Meanwhile im like "Bitch the torps travel time is 50 odd seconds to where you got hit. It aint nothing but your own fault for taking those."

And that is why you see a lot of pink players. Ive only ever turned pink because of retards that literally try to take friendly torps, i swear. Im super careful with them.

Truth be told, torping friendlies should not be counted as team-damage if the torps were fired more than 15 seconds ago. So far I only managed to turn pink by players running into my torps long after I fired them, except for two cases: Mikasa in a brawl before secondaries cared for allies and once when I somehow managed to hit and detonate the magazine of a friendly Tirpitz that got ambushed and rushed by a DD at some 8km range from me, while driving Tirpitz myself.

8 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Truth be told, torping friendlies should not be counted as team-damage if the torps were fired more than 15 seconds ago. So far I only managed to turn pink by players running into my torps long after I fired them, except for two cases: Mikasa in a brawl before secondaries cared for allies and once when I somehow managed to hit and detonate the magazine of a friendly Tirpitz that got ambushed and rushed by a DD at some 8km range from me, while driving Tirpitz myself.

eh, I dont think a time, but more of a range. honestly some people can still be really retarded and drop torps around allies that are close. but I think after 5km it shouldn't count as team damage. because if a teammate can't get out of the way of a torp after 5km of warning they deserve to take it.

No. If you fired torpedoes into an area where you know friendlies are going to be brawling it's your own dumbass fault. Always remember the Gunnery Sarge from mass effect: "It's going to fuck up someone's day, somewhere, somewhen. That's why you don't just eyeball it".

17 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

No. If you fired torpedoes into an area where you know friendlies are going to be brawling it's your own dumbass fault. Always remember the Gunnery Sarge from mass effect: "It's going to fuck up someone's day, somewhere, somewhen. That's why you don't just eyeball it".

The original example here was 50 second runtime torps fired at a BB that some moron cruiser rushed at the last second.  That's not "firing into a brawl area", that's "firing into the enemy team and some retard decides to rush into the middle of them". I shouldn't have to/won't hold shots for the sake of someone who MIGHT rush into the middle of the enemy team 50 seconds later.  That's a hell of a different situation than firing torps as your Tirpitz is closing the distance.

On 17/12/2016 at 0:21 PM, Assassin7 said:

eh, I dont think a time, but more of a range. honestly some people can still be really retarded and drop torps around allies that are close. but I think after 5km it shouldn't count as team damage. because if a teammate can't get out of the way of a torp after 5km of warning they deserve to take it.

Even that wouldn't work. I'm still new and grinding through mainly tier 5-6s. There it's quiet normal for ships to torp snipe behind their pushing team. Quiet often these torps are aimed at targets outside the ships torp range, but within the range of the friendlies, which are on the frontline. I've multiple times had to expose my broadsides to heavy fire due to dodging torp snipers several km behind me, like a 43%er in a Myoko this weekend trying to torp ships 12-15 km away, while having me sandwiched between him and them in a BB. Maybe it's because of my inexperience, but I still tend to take longer to account for friendly torps, due to simply not considering that anyone would be that retarded. Like Madner suggested we can all be unfortunate (or in my case screw up), but we don't launch several waves through friendlies like that Myoko did. He was unpunished, but basically blocked my ability to turn away, which cost me 40k HP, while dodging his shit.

You wonder how people have 35 percent win rates, but they are shooting torps that funnel their team into bad fire lanes. Maybe they have to go behind an island so they cant fire for 3 minutes. Or are forced into a gap and get pounded. Maybe they run in a BB running for cover and cause him to stop in open water. These are the same people that say their BBs suicided when 7 CAs ran and left 3 BBs to fight 3 v 8 with flamethrower flankers shooting over islands, while they sailed at the board edge for 5 minutes trying to get to the cap. (Their home cap had 3 ships in for 3 of the minutes. 

There are a lot of little things that you can the adversely effect your team negatively above and beyond not being able to hit stuff or being AFK. Some of these guys would help their teams more by being afk. When they actually try to play, they are more of a menace then the red team.

A simple thing is how many DD's to you see lay smoke to cover a CA or BB that is being focused. How many of the before mentioned CA's and BBs recognise that a DD is trying to help them and get into the smoke? Amazingly few. 

41 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

Some of these guys would help their teams more by being afk. When they actually try to play, they are more of a menace then the red team.

A simple thing is how many DD's to you see lay smoke to cover a CA or BB that is being focused. How many of the before mentioned CA's and BBs recognise that a DD is trying to help them and get into the smoke? Amazingly few. 

so true

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

Talking to them helps.

"hey <cruiser/BB name here>, dropping smoke for you, hold up a second"

Them: ignore and continue to charge the five enemy ships wrecking them.

As for the topic:

Low to mid tier cruiser drivers are among the worst. "Huh, got a friendly DD in the cap, in the middle of a knife fight with the red team. I *could* support by shooting at the enemy and being seen, but I'll stay invisible and shoot torpedoes that only my friendly is in range of."

Maybe not tunnel vision, but if I'm in front I'm "looking toward the enemy visioned".

Of course, I'm still a little irked by the Shima who torped me the other night. Closing in the Tirpitz at another BB (4-5 km from them), and friendly Shima torps into the melee from only a couple km behind me, right after I turned to port. Apology? Hahahahahah. "don't drive into torps, potato" (very close to that, can't remember exactly. Looked them up. 48% win rate, 8-900 wtr.

As someone else mentioned...if they don't want to learn or improve (which means finding mistakes and correcting them), it's just hopeless.

At tier 8 plus you have a good chance of getting them to listen unless they are driving an ARP Atago or a T8 premium ship, when their only other highest tier ship is t3.

If you don't at least try to let them know you're dropping smoke then don't expect them to read your mind. Plus, there are times as a BB I don't want or need smoke. I'll usually tell the DD to smoke the cruisers in that case.