xWulffx

2017 Proposed Captain Skills

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/18/wg-fest-wows-announcements-2017-preview-new-commander-skill-tree/#more-38096

BE AWARE THAT THIS IS MOST CERTAINLY AN EARLY PREVIEW AND CAN CHANGE

Row 1

• Situational Awareness+ (?): It is the same symbol as the old Situational Awareness skill, but this one has the addition of a small targeting icon. From earlier information, this will possibly allow someone to know how many players are locked onto them.
  • Preventative Maintenance: Looks to be moving from a Row 5 skill to a Row 1 skill. I would probably expect some power adjustments to it, unless WG has data to show that no one was using it and so they are just making it super easy to access.
  • Expert Loader: Looks to be no change. Still a Row 1 skill.
  • Aircraft Servicing Expert: Looks to be moving from Row 3 to Row 1.
  • Smoke Generator Modifier (?): It is the icon of the smoke generator with an up arrow, possibly meaning a multitude of things like more charges of smoke, longer lasting smoke, or larger smoke clouds.
  • Dogfighting Expert: Moves from Row 3 to Row 1. Likely just to make it more accessible and cost less. Still don’t expect it to be used much though.
  • Incoming Fire Alert: From Row 2 to Row 1. Still never worth using.
  • Attack Plane HP Up (?): The icon is similar to Air Groups Modification 3 (+15% to Attack Plane HP).

Row 2

• Basics of Survivability: Looks to be moving from Row 1 to Row 2
  • Jack of all Trades: Moving from Row 5 to Row 2
  • Expert Marksman: Stays in Row 2
  • Torpedo Acceleration: Moving from Row 3 to Row 2
  • Last Chance: Moving from Row 5 to Row 2
  • Expert Rear Gunner: Moving from Row 1 to Row 2, so I expect some sort of a buff to the bonus it gives
  • 2 Catapult Fighters (?): It is the silhouette of the Catapult Fighter, but with 2 of them
  • Last Stand: Staying in Row 2

Row 3

• Fire Prevention: Moving from Row 2 to Row 3, so hopefully they make it actually usable
  • High Alert: Staying in Row 3
  • Torpedo Armament Expertise: Moving from Row 2 to Row 3, so maybe a buff to its bonus
  • Fire on the Flight Deck (?): Icon is a carrier flight deck with a fire next to with, with plane appearing to be taking off
  • Advanced Firing Training: Moving from Row 4 to Row 3
  • Superintendent: Staying in Row 3
  • Demolition Expert: Moving down from Row 4 to Row 3
  • Vigilance: Row 3

Row 4

• Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament: Moving from Row 5 to Row 4
  • Survivability Expert: Staying in Row 4
  • HEAP (?): One of the rumored skill, supposedly increases HE shell penetration while decreasing fire chance
  • Air Supremacy: Moving from Row 5 to Row 4
  • Basic Firing Training: Moving from Row 1 to Row 4 <—- This is a massive change and is essentially a semi-nerf to any destroyer as they will not be able to get BFT early and must now spend 4 skill points on the RoF buff
  • Manual Fire Control for AA Armaments: Staying in Row 4
  • Keen Intuition: Supposedly allows a ship to have an arrow displayed to the nearest target even if they are not spotted
  • Concealment Expert: Moving from Row 5 to Row 4

Row 5 has been removed and all skill have been moved to other positions.

Interesting!

4 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

So does this mean we will be able to get like 3 tier 4 perks on a 18 point captain? 

i think they also said that it would go to 19 points without 1 million exp

I am guessing that -

Advanced Firing Training: Moving from Row 4 to Row 3 will actually be Basic Firing training with the bonus to ROF

And ...

Basic Firing Training: Moving from Row 1 to Row 4 will actually be Advanced firing training with the range buff to AA small main guns and secondaries.

I may be wrong  ... if not, they'll have to switch the names because basic comes before advanced usually ... :wave:

Thoughts?

Only thing besides what has been said previously is that I really don't want any of the T1 skills except the giant smoke screen one. 

What I mean is there are no must haves like there used to be.

6 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Only thing besides what has been said previously is that I really don't want any of the T1 skills except the giant smoke screen one. 

Preventative Maintenance <-- probably best choice for BBs tier 1 at least you'll lose less modules

Expert Loader <-- 2nd choice

11 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Tbh that makes it better, it means theres more variety in builds. Rather than just one "this is better than everything else" setup, theres room to customise and experiment

7 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

Tbh that makes it better, it means theres more variety in builds. Rather than just one "this is better than everything else" setup, theres room to customise and experiment

I think that is one of their goals with this skill tree shuffle.

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

Tbh that makes it better, it means there's more variety in builds. Rather than just one "this is better than everything else" setup, there's room to customize and experiment

I think that is one of their goals with this skill tree shuffle.

I totally agree, the previous set up drove almost everyone into one of two tier 5 skills and one of two tier 4 skills.  With the level changes and the elimination of 5 point skills I think you will see more experimentation for individual ships as opposed to "class" builds.

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

I totally agree, the previous set up drove almost everyone into one of two tier 5 skills and one of two tier 4 skills.  With the level changes and the elimination of 5 point skills I think you will see more experimentation for individual ships as opposed to "class" builds.

Yep. And it'll make improving your AA just by leveling up the captain harder too, you'll have to dedicate more points to that kind of functionality. Which might help with WG's CV rework if they are actually going to do it. I imagine making CVs more common and attractive + nerfing AA directly would not be too popular.

After 2 or 3 months, we will be back to 1 or 2 builds for each class of ship. Once the experimenting is over, there is be a consensus best build for each ship. 

JOAT moving from 5 to 2 is pretty huge. For battleships with faster turrets that would be great. It also introduces a not-awful 2nd T2 skill for my expert-loader builds.

47 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

After 2 or 3 months, we will be back to 1 or 2 builds for each class of ship. Once the experimenting is over, there is be a consensus best build for each ship. 

Unless they add tree prerequisites to the best perks, so folks can't just cherry pick the best skills at each tier. 

It's almost like MMOs hadn't figured this shit out decades ago. 

12 minutes ago, Kilpanic said:

Unless they add tree prerequisites to the best perks, so folks can't just cherry pick the best skills at each tier. 

It's almost like MMOs hadn't figured this shit out decades ago. 

I'm not fond of skill trees that require me to take trash in my optimal build.

40 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

I'm not fond of skill trees that require me to take trash in my optimal build.

Well nobody's 'fond' of that, but if the point is to encourage diversity in commander builds, that's one way to do it. 

JOAT isn't the same skill at tier 2. They changed it to 10 percent reduced time on repairs. You used to be able to make a tank build with 10 percent reduction then 15 percent with JOAT for 25 percent reduction. Now JOAT is 10 percent and the other skill was removed or changed. This is if the leaks are correct. We will see when they get the changes on the test server.

They also made the maximum cost of a skill point to be 100,000 exp. The 19th point was like 9994 exp. So some of you will have 19 point captains with extra exp laying around. Rumour has it that these can be made into some kind of crew skills.

The 3 percent reduced fire chance skill went to t3 and is now 7 percent. This is still multiplicative it appears so is slightly better, but probably still a trap skill.

1 hour ago, Kilpanic said:

Well nobody's 'fond' of that, but if the point is to encourage diversity in commander builds, that's one way to do it. 

Global maxima still exist and people like me will continue to find them. The only way to encourage diversity is to stop making whole tiers of garbage (current T2 and T5) and make every skill worthwhile.

11 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

The only way to encourage diversity is to stop making whole tiers of garbage (current T2 and T5) and make every skill worthwhile.

That's impossible, but I think you know this, since you've already said you're committed to finding and achieving the 'global maxima'. How would you make a skill as worthwhile as Concealment Expert that doesn't also completely skew the game? Currently we have the largest ships in the game taking CE because it warps a ship's abilities so much. 

I still think that a better way to encourage diversity is to increase the opportunity cost of the best skills. You want CE? Fine, but you don't also get AFT and Last Stand, for example. Another way to encourage diversity is to get rid of 'absolute value' skills like CE and LS entirely. 

2 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

The 3 percent reduced fire chance skill went to t3 and is now 7 percent. This is still multiplicative it appears so is slightly better, but probably still a trap skill.

I have a question, if a ship has a really high chance to be caught on fire vs a ship that is less likely to do so, wouldn't the multiplier be more beneficial for it?

Two new posts on Armored Patrol regarding the new Captain perks -

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/28/wows-why-did-wg-redesign-commander-skills/

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/28/wows-further-changes-to-the-new-captain-skills/

Noticed they dropped Demolition Expert from 3% to 2 % ...

3 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Two new posts on Armored Patrol regarding the new Captain perks -

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/28/wows-why-did-wg-redesign-commander-skills/

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/28/wows-further-changes-to-the-new-captain-skills/

Noticed they dropped Demolition Expert from 3% to 2 % ...

yeah but now its a tier 3 skill, honestly dropping something that is so RNG prone by 1%, they could not have told us and know one would have noticed

Also, they decided to keep "Keen Intuition" but renamed it "Radio Positioning", its now tier 4 and only show a vector, general direction, so probably not that useful for gud players that use WASD hacks and gonna be used by potatoes... the same guys that have HP buffed Atagos