Looking at getting a new gaming headset.  Budget is about $150, so I'm considering the Sennheiser Game One and GSP 350 in that range.  Any other suggestions anyone can think of?  More focused on sound and build quality around that price point.  My budget is a little flexible (+$20-30 maybe) so anything in that area I will consider too.  Thanks in advance!

Buy headphones, not a headset. Then get a microphone. If they market them as "gaming" then you already know they are shit.

The only option if you care even a little about the sound quality.

25 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Headphones + Antlion Modmic

What headphones would you suggest?  I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

Edit:  Just ordered the Modmic and a pair of Grado SR80e Prestige Series Headphones.  Really good reviews on the Grado's, hope they sound just as good as I see in the reviews.

2 hours ago, onlytoughonline said:

Edit:  Just ordered the Modmic and a pair of Grado SR80e Prestige Series Headphones.  Really good reviews on the Grado's, hope they sound just as good as I see in the reviews.

I don't know what those are (haven't googled yet) but I bet it's still a million times better option than any "gaming headset".
And Modmic is superb value for money.

I personally have AKG Q701 and some cheap Logitech desk mic for now.

4 hours ago, onlytoughonline said:

the SR80's are one of the best sets you can get under $100, good job. heavy on the mids, but that's fine for gaming :)

Nuuuuu I had an SR80e and I did not like them wasn't fun enough. CB-1 appears to be better and is said to be bassy, have a wide soundstage, and are fun sounding. It could just be my tastes though.

22 minutes ago, MajorStewie said:

Nuuuuu I had an SR80e and I did not like them wasn't fun enough. CB-1 appears to be better and is said to be bassy, have a wide soundstage, and are fun sounding. It could just be my tastes though.

I disagree, but different strokes for different folks :) I Found the fun midbass and Vocals of the Grados very engaging. Of course, I tend to dislike bass-heavy sets. Personal preference.

I appreciate all the input everyone!  Thanks again!  Looking forward to seeing what higher end audio actually sounds like since I've never owned any decent headphones.  I'm military, and they just get beat up too much on deployments so I never invested in a set.  These will stay at home though.  Merry Christmas all!

If you have any kind of Hi-Fi store near you it'd be best to go there and try a couple. Much like most other things personal preference is an important factor that no one else can really influence. You can set a pretty good standard for what's considered good headphones or not but getting the headphones that are just right for you will need testing. 

Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio-Technica, Bose, Sony (to a degree) and other smaller brands I can't think of at the moment are all very good at making mid-end priced headphones that can easily pass for high-end quality. 

I recommend Audio-Technicas ATH-MX50 (120 USD) as a good sample, I've tried these and recommended to several other who were all happy with it. They also shouldn't be too hard to find locally if you want to try them out, where most stores with a "sound guy" should know what kind of standard you got if those were too <insert problem here> and is a good direction for other things in the same area. They're nothing special really but have a defined sound for that kind of price. It also doesn't need an amp which some mid/high-end phones do, but if you do get one (DAC/AMP or soundcard with amp etc)  you'll still feel a difference in quality.

If you want to get a good set of headphones you should eventually try and get a decent soundcard or similar with it to get the most out of it. It's not really a rush or a must but if your usage will be stationary then it'll be worth the money.

47 minutes ago, Kolni said:

If you have any kind of Hi-Fi store near you it'd be best to go there and try a couple. Much like most other things personal preference is an important factor that no one else can really influence. You can set a pretty good standard for what's considered good headphones or not but getting the headphones that are just right for you will need testing. 

Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio-Technica, Bose, Sony (to a degree) and other smaller brands I can't think of at the moment are all very good at making mid-end priced headphones that can easily pass for high-end quality. 

I recommend Audio-Technicas ATH-MX50 (120 USD) as a good sample, I've tried these and recommended to several other who were all happy with it. They also shouldn't be too hard to find locally if you want to try them out, where most stores with a "sound guy" should know what kind of standard you got if those were too <insert problem here> and is a good direction for other things in the same area. They're nothing special really but have a defined sound for that kind of price. It also doesn't need an amp which some mid/high-end phones do, but if you do get one (DAC/AMP or soundcard with amp etc)  you'll still feel a difference in quality.

If you want to get a good set of headphones you should eventually try and get a decent soundcard or similar with it to get the most out of it. It's not really a rush or a must but if your usage will be stationary then it'll be worth the money.

I REALLY wish we had that kind of store here, but I live in Guam and the best way to get anything like that is through Amazon or other sites, which is where I ordered the SR80's from.  If I like these though, I made a list of other sets that are a bit higher end that I may go to in the future.  Thanks for the advice!