warrends

Base building game suggestions?

Friend of mine recommended Factorio (http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/) a while back. I'm somewhat addicted, except for oil production which is a pain in the butt to set up and maintain and try to understand the proper production ratios. And bots which I still just don't understand. And other higher-level stuff that isn't as simple as setting up truly symmetrical production facilities with full-on production capabilities. The community is fantastic; I've yet to see any raging at all in their forums, in REDDIT, anywhere. And their devs are very proactive and communicative with the community. Wondering if any of the gaming experts here have other ideas for good base building games. I like the idea of solo play cuz I can just relax and not worry about any real-time humans coming after me in real-time, and I can put my engineering education and experiences to work, along with some (basic) math (like I said, Factorio oil production is a PITA). Thoughts? Steam preferred though not mandatory. I've looked at a few other "recommended base building games in Steam but none of them really look that good to me personally, regardless of the fact that some of them get 10,000 extremely positive reviews. Base building in space is fine; doesn't have to be terrestrial like Factorio. (Even tried one of the Sim Cities, but that got really old really fast.)

TIA

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. It's an RTS were i've just spent hours constructing my base, completely ignoring the mission objective

Red Alert 2. Just start building your military industrial complex

Tropico can be fun, imagine Sim Cities but with dictators, banana republics and Latin music in the background

I can second Tropico. Plus it is a real cheep pick up. You can get one of the older versions with all of the DLC for almost nothing. I normally don't make it far into a game as I turn too despotic and crack down on everything/everyone and end up being too corrupt.

Thanks to everyone so far. Took a quick look at them all and bookmarked them. More looking as I get time. Prefer the not-so-cartoony games though.

2 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Dorf Dwarf Fortress, best $0.00 ever spent

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Looks similar like NetHack (http://nethack.org/ or https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/NetHack_3.6.0), a text game I played back in the 80s which they're still developing 30 years later. Will Wheaton from Star Trek TNG fame was known for playing NetHack.

4X games are absolutely fine. I guess what I'm looking for are

1) Logistics: building, designing, building in and designing in efficiencies, other related things ...

2) Exploration, which in many cases can be the most fun part of a game (back in the 80s there was a DOS game called Star-something ... Starcraft? ... in which you traveled to different planets and had to mine them for various resources and transport those resources back to your home planet, and all the while you'd bump into alien beings, some friendly and some not so much. Exploration at its best ... 30 years ago.

3) Combat, but in minimal form (in Factorio you can set the bugs to only attack if provoked or to be relentless, and you can choose how big, rich and frequent their bases are).

4) Play at my own rate, stop when I want, restart when i want, no real-time pressures. And the game stops when I stop, as opposed ot any 24/7 games where you can get pummeled by other players (human or AI) while you're gone), so I think that Eve is out of the questions, from what I've heard.

5) Basically, I think, no other humans involved, except for perhaps the ability to play multi-player cooperative (as in Factorio, which is usually cooperative).

Prison Architect I looked at, but it's a friggin' cartoon. Same with many of the other very-highly-rated games of this genre. Maybe you get what you pay for ... but for $20 (which may go up when they finally get out of beta) Factorio has much, much, much better graphics. My gaming rig is definitely underutilized for this, but our 6 year old family laptop runs it quite easily, smoke particles and all.

5 hours ago, MetGreDKo said:

Does X3 Albion Prelude

Offworld Trading Company might be considered one

Prison Architect

Autistic Transport Fever - for building an economic base?

Seconding Offworld Trading Company. It's superb. If you're not playing it yet then you should be.

1 hour ago, warrends said:

4X games are absolutely fine. I guess what I'm looking for are

1) Logistics: building, designing, building in and designing in efficiencies, other related things ...

2) Exploration, which in many cases can be the most fun part of a game (back in the 80s there was a DOS game called Star-something ... Starcraft? ... in which you traveled to different planets and had to mine them for various resources and transport those resources back to your home planet, and all the while you'd bump into alien beings, some friendly and some not so much. Exploration at its best ... 30 years ago.

3) Combat, but in minimal form (in Factorio you can set the bugs to only attack if provoked or to be relentless, and you can choose how big, rich and frequent their bases are).

4) Play at my own rate, stop when I want, restart when i want, no real-time pressures. And the game stops when I stop, as opposed ot any 24/7 games where you can get pummeled by other players (human or AI) while you're gone), so I think that Eve is out of the questions, from what I've heard.

5) Basically, I think, no other humans involved, except for perhaps the ability to play multi-player cooperative (as in Factorio, which is usually cooperative).

Prison Architect I looked at, but it's a friggin' cartoon. Same with many of the other very-highly-rated games of this genre. Maybe you get what you pay for ... but for $20 (which may go up when they finally get out of beta) Factorio has much, much, much better graphics. My gaming rig is definitely underutilized for this, but our 6 year old family laptop runs it quite easily, smoke particles and all.

If you're after a 4X game then consider:

• Endless Legend
  • Endless Space 2
  • Stellaris
  • Master of Orion (The new one is lightweight but not bad)
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Heroes of Might and Magic III, V (Still the best) or VI (I loved VI, many others didn't). Avoid IV and VII like the plague (They're fucking awful)
  • Disciples III: Reincarnation
  • AI War: Fleet Command
  • Civ IV, VI. V and Beyond Earth are generally considered to be the weaker ones.

Oh and the Star-something game you're thinking of is probably Star Control 2. You can play it today in HD thanks to this nice port: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Gnomoria, which is kinda like Dwarf Fortress: Casual Edition , there's also Rimworld and Banished. Banished has no combat afaik.

There's also a game called Kenshi that has been on steam's early access since 2013. I got it back then in early alpha, the game didn't even have any sounds and very little content, it seems to have matured well looking at the reviews.

12 hours ago, Shackram said:

Gnomoria, which is kinda like Dwarf Fortress: Casual Edition , there's also Rimworld and Banished. Banished has no combat afaik.

Gnomoria is apparently abandoned.

PG: Factorio is exactly what brought me back here to the Labs gaming experts looking for other base building games. But based on my own research and the comments above and my researching the suggestions above, it doesn't really look like there are (too) many other games out there as good as Factorio, either in gameplay or in graphics (as I said above, I'm not a fan of the cartoony-looking games).

I do appreciate everyone's inputs though. They were all a great help. Sorry for not posting this earlier, but during the big holiday sales I spent around $90 (US) and bought (not in any particular order):

• X3: Albion Prelude and the entire bundle of its six X-, X2- and X3-related games
  • Banished
  • Evil Genius
  • Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance bundle
  • Stellaris - Nova Edition (includes some DLC and other game content)
  • The big Offworld Trading Company 6-pack bundle

Three weeks in and I've only even touched Evil Genius for about 15 minutes and Stellaris (beautiful graphics; just need to spend time figuring out how the damned thing works: I can tell there's a helluva lot of good stuff in there). My son played OTC a little bit, as he was excited from some YT videos he saw. But now I'm back full-time into Factorio.

I just installed RSO into Factorio. My first mod addition. Honestly in looking thru the hundreds of mods, this is the only one that really looks interesting to me (at least for now). This time I'm going for something like what MangledPork did here: Factorio Towns. Since the Factorio endgame is kinda boring to me (as soon as your rocket leaves, you're done ...), instead try for other in-game goals. For this one, instead of building my factory in one place as is usually done, I'm going big (not by quantity or speed, but by area). Build different "towns" around the map, each with its own 'export'. And then they all feed into other towns that need their products, which in turn make their own items and export them. I've only just begun this one, and I work very slowly (at 3x and 4x speed I can barely keep up with Bentham's discussion in his Towns videos linked above). So this requires a helluva lot of trains and a huge rail system (meaning i need to learn how the hell signals work). Belts and bots just won't do for this size. After 4-5 hours in this new game I'm just now starting to get some iron ore into my "Iron Ore Town" (name to be decided later on), which will then consolidate all of the ore inputs and send them to furnaces to turn them into plates. Then onto copper. And then stone. And in the meantime, I'm building out my coal supply, which is also leading me to grow my electricity supply. Oh, and all the while making turrets and piercing ammo to keep the bugs away. So that's why I wanted to try RSO: to get the main resource supply pools far away from each other, but also bigger as they get farther away, something that RSO supposedly does, which all forces big area and rail use.

But anyway, yeah bots rock. But I won't bother with them until waaaay later on when I need them for smaller stuff inside of any specific 'towns'.

Maybe we should start a Factorio thread? It's that good.

And again, appreciate everyone's insights above into suggestions to buy and what not to buy. Eventually I'll actually play some of the games I just bought.

Another great mod for Factorio is Factorissimo, which basically lets you build factory "buildings" that you then go inside to build factory shit in there.  You can pick them up and put them back down and they'll still have all their shit in them, you can even nest them by building a factory building inside the factory building.

It's kinda cheap but seeing as you have infinite space in Factorio anyways all it does is make your factory area easier to defend because there's less walls and turrets to build with less area to cover