Victrix

How should I go about on upgrading my build?

Im not sure which parts to upgrade first, I dont have the money on hand to do a full system upgrade all at once but feel like I should start upgrading something..

Any advice?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZzgZ8

Looks fine to me for the most part.

• get rid off that SSD + Seagate Momentus and replace it with a 500+GB Samsung 850 Evo
  • you can overclock the CPU to ~4GHz by setting the multi to 38 and raising the BCLK to 104-105 MHz
  • don't know if you need a stronger GPU, the 970 should still be good enough for 1080p
2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Looks fine to me for the most part.

• get rid off that SSD + Seagate Momentus and replace it with a 500+GB Samsung 850 Evo
  • you can overclock the CPU to ~4GHz by setting the multi to 38 and raising the BCLK to 104-105 MHz
  • don't know if you need a stronger GPU, the 970 should still be good enough for 1080p

i have a 960 i can max the game at 60 fps with some framedrops here and there , so a 970 should be good for just playing the game . if you want to record stuff live or stream he might want to get a GTX 1000 series GPU 

4 hours ago, JelleFly said:

i have a 960 i can max the game at 60 fps with some framedrops here and there , so a 970 should be good for just playing the game .

I was speaking more in general terms.

4 hours ago, JelleFly said:

if you want to record stuff live or stream he might want to get a GTX 1000 series GPU 

That makes no sense. What advantage does a 10xx (or RX480) have when it comes to recording?

And performance wise a 1060 isn't really faster . A 1070 or 980Ti would be an upgrade, but only ~35% at 1080p. With the current pricing that doesnt make much sense, beside a used 980Ti on the cheap maybe.

Question: Why are you using a Xeon Processor? Those are normally for servers and not for desktops.

16 hours ago, ADeadMan1 said:

Those are normally for servers and not for desktops.

Nope - there are different kind of Xeons, some like this one (1P) for workstations. And up until Haswell the Xeons for the workstations were a much better deal compared to i7s, if you didn't need OC via multi and Intels iGPU. You could get a E3 1231 for ~220$ while the comparable i7 (i7 4770 in this case) came in at around ~290$. 

11 hours ago, xWulffx said:

Intel Core i5-6600K

I'd get that over the Xeon

You spend 240$ on the new CPU, ~110$ on a new board and 75$ on new RAM to gain 10% more performance in single threaded applications (if you are lucky) while losing hyperthreading.

That's the definition of wasted money and time in my book.

Sure you still can sell you old stuff and get some money back, but for what? The performance advantage is neglectable or even a step back in highly threaded scenarios.