dualmaster333

STRV 103-0 (Tier 9): Overmatch Mechanics 101

52 posts in this topic

This thing is great. Ive tanked all autoloading mediums and every heavy with sub 121mm guns. Just avoid mighty russian 122mm and superheavies and you are good to go. You can actually push with this thing because the siege mode speed is 10/-10 and because the armor works reliably if you know who is shooting at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll have one game where you bounce 5k, then next game where every single shot pens you.

Or you just get one shot by arty, or yolod and rammed into the side and can't do anything because a T7 tank can bully you. The tank is either good or complete trash depending on the situation. It's also shit at winning and dealing with arty at the end of the match. Good luck going 1v1/1v2/1v3 against arty. I can't even count the number of matches I lost because I was the last one alive vs arty. Worst win rate T9 (see screenshot)

 

t9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i unlocked them before the gun. engine improves acceleration so you do not feel as sad after udes03 light tank speed  you can get away faster when leaving siege mode

and you can turn faster with the upgraded tracks which is important for aiming on targets close by (if you have to brawl a bit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My honeymoon period with the tank didnt last any long. That situation I described in my first reply here (where I bullied a bunch of low caliber heavies) virtually never happened again. It's too bad, I was having a lot of fun.

My main problem with it is that its armor doesn't work against heavies. Which is fine, since it can go fight mediums, but then it's a casemate TD with low alpha and (literally) no gun arc so it's also super trash at fighting mediums once they close the distance. Because of this, most of your matches are just being a higher RoF/pen UDES that gets a bounce or two in trade for mobility and camo. Heavies will rock your world, mediums will take a hit, smash into your side, track you, and then it's over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT: TDs still crap.

Seriously,  the whole line costs hardly anything compared to other lines,  they give you a crew for relatively little time invested,  there's extra missions, and I still can't be bothered because casemate TDs just don't win/tactics. Sure they can be fed, but so can almost anything.  I'd rather play the ELC and grind credits in it for a MAUS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rexxie said:

My honeymoon period with the tank didnt last any long. That situation I described in my first reply here (where I bullied a bunch of low caliber heavies) virtually never happened again. It's too bad, I was having a lot of fun.

My main problem with it is that its armor doesn't work against heavies. Which is fine, since it can go fight mediums, but then it's a casemate TD with low alpha and (literally) no gun arc so it's also super trash at fighting mediums once they close the distance. Because of this, most of your matches are just being a higher RoF/pen UDES that gets a bounce or two in trade for mobility and camo. Heavies will rock your world, mediums will take a hit, smash into your side, track you, and then it's over.

That's been my experience too. I've got a couple of awesome games where I get fed by meds but with the IS series, Skorps etc there's a lot of 122+ guns running around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got this and it's still completely stock (ran out of free xp skipping rest of UDES), but actually being able to survive being spotted a fair bit is amazing compared to the UDES' ridiculous fragility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free xp'd everything on it and started playing it. I find it much better to play then the Udes even with the less accurate gun. The DPM makes such a difference and being able to bounce shit is nice so you can sort of play aggressive. 

It still has the problem of not being able to flex and if you really want to do damage on trash maps you need to be able to read the battle fairly early and get to the flank before everything dies. I'm trying to hold 3k but I'm just getting fucked on maps. You'll get Prok.or Mali and do 5k+ easy and then get Ensk or fucking Himmels after and struggle to do 2k because you have to fight braindead retards in Type 5's and Mice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..I miss the Udes' laser beam. Ive derped more shots in the 103-0 in two battles than I ever did in the Udes :/

 

That also said, the improved armor is great! As the entire line id discounted and I have female crews for this... just cant help myself. Its a solid "meh" out of 10 IMO thus far. Camo is breaking on some maps/situations, but overall its a VERY high ceiling tank with a bottomless floor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2017 at 3:22 PM, TheMarine0341 said:

..I miss the Udes' laser beam. Ive derped more shots in the 103-0 in two battles than I ever did in the Udes :/

 

That also said, the improved armor is great! As the entire line id discounted and I have female crews for this... just cant help myself. Its a solid "meh" out of 10 IMO thus far. Camo is breaking on some maps/situations, but overall its a VERY high ceiling tank with a bottomless floor

 

~30 games into this one myself and yeah, the accuracy has been frustrating.  Missing shots I'd never miss with the UDES. However, it has armor that can work amazingly well in certain situations, and the bump from 5 to 10kph in siege mode and reduced teardown time are great.

I've got a disappointing DPG thus far (only 2500 vs 2350 in UDES) but i think that's not completely reflective of the tank itself.  I've had a combo of bad maps, bad game flow (my team rolls the other, or other just doesn't go the places where I can put damage on 'em) and me saying "I wonder how well this armor really works??" 

I'm also now regretting taking vision skills over repairs on the commander and radio guy.  Before tracking was less frequent due to the smaller tracks, and if you did get tracked, you usually melted before you'd repair, anyways, so I went with vision, but I've had some painful permatrack or at least multi-tracked situations thus far in this where it gives people time to get to my sides. I'm in the high 90s on said skills, though, so should be able to get to rep soon.

and as everyone else said, it's ridiculous that I can bounce an entire clip from a batchat and then get spanked by an IS6. stupid overmatch mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfessorMunroe said:

and as everyone else said, it's ridiculous that I can bounce an entire clip from a batchat and then get spanked by an IS6. stupid overmatch mechanics.

Or, bounce two clips of AP from a 50-120 and then 3 of 4 APCR from same said 50-120, and then die to a fucking IS at 450m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp my DPG has gone to shit and hopes of keeping 3k are gone after two zero damage games. This tank is so frustrating to play on city maps and honestly, I've been half tempted to go garage after loading into Himmels and Ensk games back to back. Like you really have to be on top of your game playing this, like full 3 mark tier 10 focus or it literally doesn't work. Am I missing out of some secret to getting a good map rotation? I have assault and encounter on ofc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, Rspctd said:

Welp my DPG has gone to shit and hopes of keeping 3k are gone after two zero damage games. This tank is so frustrating to play on city maps and honestly, I've been half tempted to go garage after loading into Himmels and Ensk games back to back. Like you really have to be on top of your game playing this, like full 3 mark tier 10 focus or it literally doesn't work. Am I missing out of some secret to getting a good map rotation? I have assault and encounter on ofc.  

I turned off encounter after getting Mine encounter x3 in a row and were all 2 min fap cast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished this grind yesterday and played a dozen or so in the 103B.  I wasn't quite sure if not liking this one was going to lead to not liking the 103B and so far, that definitely hasn't been the case.  Crazy DPM, higher 3x overmatch threshold + not getting raped by HEAT (had a nice 6K blocked game), much better accuracy, and that awesome lack of (any) bloom when rotating combined with the accuracy leads to some awesome snapshots.

In other words, the 103B is a huge improvement over this, at least for me thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ProfessorMunroe said:

In other words, the 103B is a huge improvement over this, at least for me thus far.

They really buff it with all spaced shit. 183 for balance tho :doge: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The utter derpage of the 103-0's gun is really starting to get to me. I had two games last night that should have been significantly better turn into losses, simply because the gun decides that the edge of the reticle is now center. Reminds me of the STB-1's gun handling when full bloom at those moments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheMarine0341 said:

The utter derpage of the 103-0's gun is really starting to get to me. I had two games last night that should have been significantly better turn into losses, simply because the gun decides that the edge of the reticle is now center. Reminds me of the STB-1's gun handling when full bloom at those moments

this was probably my biggest gripe with the 103-0. for a redline "sniper", it sure misses a lot of shots.  In one of my last games in it I was shooting at the (not small) cupola of a stationary AT7 from ~250m and I missed 2 or 3 times.  I was not happy.

My guess is they originally gave it the current accuracy to balance out the uber armor back when they were going to change overmatch mechanics, and then didn't do anything about it after they dropped the overmatch changes.  If this had the same accuracy as the UDES, I'd have liked it a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ProfessorMunroe said:

this was probably my biggest gripe with the 103-0. for a redline "sniper", it sure misses a lot of shots.  In one of my last games in it I was shooting at the (not small) cupola of a stationary AT7 from ~250m and I missed 2 or 3 times.  I was not happy.

My guess is they originally gave it the current accuracy to balance out the uber armor back when they were going to change overmatch mechanics, and then didn't do anything about it after they dropped the overmatch changes.  If this had the same accuracy as the UDES, I'd have liked it a lot more.

Thank WG for constantly nerfing accuracy dispersion... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get this thing to work for the life of me.. I'm averaging less dpg than UDES, and winning 15% less....

It is significantly slower, and much worse at climbing.

It has a lot of trouble avoiding exposure... UDES can find the smallest bump on the ground, set up camo net, raise up the rear end, and shoot over the bump. If you get lit, you just press x and instantly drop below the bump again. Can't do it in the 103-0 due to the completely fixed gun.

Camo value sucks.. mainly due to opponents having much better view range. If you shoot, you'll likely get spotted 400m away. UDES get 350m shots safely most of the time.

Armor is pretty non-functional. Due to 122mm overmatch and zero defense vs HEAT...

Potato accuracy... I miss WAY more than UDES. The accuracy is seriously frustrating when trying to engage at 400m+.

I feel like I'm just driving an UDES with a 75% crew..... 500 HP extra HP and bouncing some shots (that would likely miss the UDES altogether) is not worth.

Honestly.. I feel UDES with 1500 hp would make a better tier 9 than this thing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to drinking some rum last night and then I bought this tank to start grinding through it (again). Yes, thank you, I am indeed a retard. I actually got the upgraded tracks and engine this time around. It still feels slow and the .05 worse accuracy is noticeable. In fact, I wonder if I would prefer grinding a UDES with Tier 9 MM for 300k XP instead.

The armor continues to be highly situational, but it feels like more people have figured it out. They switch to HEAT or HE more often. Plus it feels like every gun is >120mm now.

The only amusing thing was a game where I did 7200 damage before my pubbies fell apart. It was on Live Oaks of all things. I don't even remember shooting very many tanks so I need to go back and watch the replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the UDES, so I picked this thing up. Now if only I could get a game where my allies don't all drive off a cliff. I'm looking forward to playing an actual game in it. 

Edit: it's harder to hide than an UDES, but it is still pretty fun and being able to troll some guns with your armor is a neat trick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.02.2018 at 8:51 AM, haglar said:

Tank is hopeless cannot push/flex/spot/brawl. Although what does the opinion of a 47%er matter :(

p5yQWKo.jpg

Your WR will go up or you are playing WAAAAAY too passive. I ended up with 62% WR with 2400dpg though my spot dmg was higher. When I know there are only 120 and smaller caliber guns on the field I tend to play more agressive. Also it's a good bush spotter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About to unlock this, ended up loving the udes. I have a female crew I could through in the tier 9 and keep the tier 8 female crewed also. Anyone kept the 8? Or is the tier X the gem to go for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.