TheMarine0341

KV-122... Um... Why the F* am I enjoying it?

So, continuing my theme of shit-tank gifting via Wargaming, the first tank I noticed in my garage was the KV-122. And, despite me knowing its shit I've committed myself to playing the KV-122, Krupp Steyr (review/updates here) and the Fury for 25 battles each at least. 
joker_haha__by_leviolson-d5f0adv.jpg

So, what can I tell you about the KV-122?

Well, 1st: Its another needless, pointless, unworthy clone yet again for the Russian Heavy tank Premiums. This gives them, and its not limited to:
IS2B
Church III
IS6
IS6B
KV4K
KV-5
Obj260
KV-220
IS3A
IS-5

And meanwhile, the US TDs continue to have nothing worthwhile. But, I digress.
So, wtf do I have going for me in this tank right now? 
5 battles, 4 wins, 2587 DPG
What?
How+the+hell+did+it+get+up+there+not+min

Current equipment
Vents, Rammer... Optics? Yes, optics. Why? Cause I didnt want to spend 500k credits on a GLD. 
Current Consumables
Small Med/Rep, Auto Ext

The Good:
Its another freaking 122mm bias freaking gun. 
Mobility: I frequently get up to 40kph (Which is like, twice the speed of the fucking Krupp Steyr)

The Average
Gun handling is what you expect and know by now for a Rasha 122mm
Turret Face can troll
DPM doesnt feel terrible

The Bad
You're an up-tired tier 6 with your hull armor, so dont expect bounces from the front of your tank at all
Repair times felt underwhelming, even with a nearly 5 skill crew

So, knowing what I could see about the tank, I decided to play it differently than all my other Rusha HTs: Bully MTs. Thats my ONLY goal in life, is to bully MTs while playing this. And, its making this tank really work for me. The armor will not allow it to heads up other HTs in a 1v1, but its just fast enough to get into a good enough position to start bullying MTs. Heres two replays featuring a lot of just that mentality

u5sb1y.jpg

9 minutes ago, Inciatus said:

What does it have now? I didn't look brilliant or particularly terrible.

Its like IS that trades armor and little DPM for better mobility, and slightly improved gun handling, depression and view range

Just now, leggasiini said:

Its like IS that trades armor and little DPM for better mobility, and slightly improved gun handling, depression and view range

:facepalm: I meant the depression. It is apparently -6 because I forgot I could just look it up quickly on tanksgg. Also its depression is the same as the IS except over the rear of the tank.

7 minutes ago, Inciatus said:

:facepalm: I meant the depression. It is apparently -6 because I forgot I could just look it up quickly on tanksgg. Also its depression is the same as the IS except over the rear of the tank.

error 404 brain not found, leggasiini.exe has stopped working

fuck me im idiot

Also i was somehow remembering that IS had -5 and not -6...

OMG is that birch?  Normally they just use whatever old pine fence post was laying around the yard for a power log - but this thing, whew - be still me heart - thats some sexy crooked wood right there.  No wonder this tank is a winner.

I'm telling you a man that struts around sporting a pole like that, good things are going to happen.

I just don't see its niche.

Want to play a russkie heavy with 122mm shenanigans and bully people? There is IS or KV-85. Want to train a crew and make money? There is IS-6 or even IS-3A/IS-5.

Full Disclaimer: I would have NEVER bought this tank. I already have the IS5, IS6, KV4K, soon to have (maybe?) the Obj 260, and will probably pick up a KV5 when I can, plus the IS2B. I see 0 point of this tank. WG could have toned it down a made it a tier 6 like the old KV-1S (I'd give it worse DPM than the KV-85 with the 122m but barely), but such is life. At least then, it could have been a SH trainer for the tier 6 clans

2 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

In fact Churchill III was released before British "Drink whiskey all day long" tank :doge:

Also this KV misses its glorious -8 gun depression.

Yeah, KV could fight tanks like the Ferdinand or IS4, nice, and ofc:

t4wh0z.jpg

Every. single. game.

guud times :)

40 minutes ago, GehakteMolen said:

Yeah, KV could fight tanks like the Ferdinand or IS4, nice, and ofc:

t4wh0z.jpg

Every. single. game.

guud times :)

250 pen 700dmg HEAT at tier 5 balanced komrad! :serb: 

4 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

250 pen 700dmg HEAT at tier 5 balanced komrad! :serb: 

208 mm pen HEAT, actually. It was available for credits for a few months on the up tiered t6 KV-2 before the shell got replaced with 136 pen AP. TD version got buffed to 250mm pen to compensate for the HEAT mechanic nerf in the same patch.

But remember it was old HEAT, that did not get eaten by tracks/spaced armor. It would go through IS-3 hull from just about any direction.