Jump to content
FlorbFnarb

Not Buying More Than You Need: Case and mobo size

Recommended Posts

I was originally planning on a full ATX motherboard and case for the sake of roominess.  Then @BlackAdder saved me some $$$ by suggesting a micro-ATX board and mini tower.  It's plenty for my purposes; I hadn't realized just how massive full cases tend to be and how mini towers are plenty large and roomy.

So then for the sake of others and saving them desktop space and $$$, what, at minimum, should a person have or require in order for them to actually need to go to a full ATX motherboard and case?  Are there graphics cards whose size alone requires a full ATX board and case?  At what point would you tell somebody "You actually need a full ATX board and full tower; a micro ATX board and mini case won't cut it for you"?

Edit:  to add @Folterknecht  and @Assassin7 since they know their stuff too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda hard to pin down a specific thing - unless you literally need space for more drives/cards that uATX boards/cases allow, it's difficult to make a case that you literally need ATX.  However, offhand a couple things occur to me:

1.  A significant number of drives - either literally too many to fit, or at least enough that they are difficult to install/remove/cool adequately in the smaller form-factor case.

2.  SLI-type graphics card setups, or other builds that employ a large number of add-on cards.  My experience with most uATX boards has been that you can very easily end up compromising cooling of graphics cards because their fan designs assume you won't have any other add-on cards in adjacent slots.  On a ATX board this isn't generally a problem as you'll have lots of slots.  However, on an uATX board, you might only have two - the slot for the graphics card and the other slot.  Similarly, if you want an SLI setup, that is a LOT of physical size and heat - I won't say you can't manage those in a good uATX case, but it's going to be harder to do.

That's probably it, really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, _Juris said:

2.  SLI-type graphics card setups, or other builds that employ a large number of add-on cards.  My experience with most uATX boards has been that you can very easily end up compromising cooling of graphics cards because their fan designs assume you won't have any other add-on cards in adjacent slots.  On a ATX board this isn't generally a problem as you'll have lots of slots.  However, on an uATX board, you might only have two - the slot for the graphics card and the other slot.  Similarly, if you want an SLI setup, that is a LOT of physical size and heat - I won't say you can't manage those in a good uATX case, but it's going to be harder to do.

But if you have SLI and not have dedicated cooling it's waste really. In most setups (ATX) cards are large enough to block good cooling so water is mandatory. But again this isn't problem because you already throwing big cash on top cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Stop confusing things - there are motherboard form factors (standards) from ITX to E/XL-ATX on the consumer side and than there are case sizes (non standard).

Right, and various case sizes can handle various board sizes; I think there are mini towers that can hold full ATX boards.

I'm just curious what you would have to have at minimum to actually require the use of a full ATX board and a full size tower, like that two foot tall Coolermaster Storm Stryker.  After saving some $$$ myself by not buying more than I needed in both departments, I'm curious who does need something that size?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

full size ATX doesn't require FULL tower, usually most mid(i)-towers can handle an ATX board.

Right, that's what I meant. I'm just curious:

  1. What would you have to have in a computer where a micro-ATX won't suffice, and
  2. How much shit would you have to cram inside a computer to require a full tower?  Is a full tower only really required if you're running so hot you either need tons of fans or else water cooling?
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Right, that's what I meant. I'm just curious:

  1. What would you have to have in a computer where a micro-ATX won't suffice, and
  2. How much shit would you have to cram inside a computer to require a full tower?  Is a full tower only really required if you're running so hot you either need tons of fans or else water cooling?
 

Depends. 

People can go crazy and overestimate size. 

2713600-img_1238.jpg

I remember CM stacker case (when was in fashion) and like 50% empty cases. Damn what a waste.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlackAdder said:

Depends. 

People can go crazy and overestimate size. 

2713600-img_1238.jpg

I remember CM stacker case (when was in fashion) and like 50% empty cases. Damn what a waste.

 

Yeah that looks really crammed.  Those poor GPUs aren't gonna be getting a bit of airflow.  Hell, the one on top has its fans practically slap on top of the other one's baseplate.  That's gonna run hotter than a whore in church.

Also, does that thing not have a CPU cooler on it or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlackAdder said:

Water cooled, cant you see radiator and tubes of Corsair (H110?)-

Oh, oops.  Didn't notice the fat black one, and I thought that Corsair thing was just some sort of logo cover for the CPU or something.  Damn that's small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Oh, oops.  Didn't notice the fat black one, and I thought that Corsair thing was just some sort of logo cover for the CPU or something.  Damn that's small.

 
Quote

This ultimate compact gaming PC build guide shows just how much firepower can be crammed into an extremely small enclosure without unsafe temperatures! I hope you enjoy it!
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlackAdder said:

But if you have SLI and not have dedicated cooling it's waste really. In most setups (ATX) cards are large enough to block good cooling so water is mandatory. But again this isn't problem because you already throwing big cash on top cards.

Well, the question wasn't how to most efficiently spend money (or not), it was about what kind of setup would lead to a recommendation to use the larger motherboard and/or case form factor.

The other confounding factor with SLI here is that it is sometimes an after-the-fact addition - someone starts with a single-card setup that they think will last, but it ends up not lasting as long as they want, so they try to add a second card in SLI to an existing setup.  And SLI doesn't need dedicated cooling to be effective (although it certainly helps).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have a full tower until I got tired of moving it about.  I didn't need it, but I enjoyed the extra space it provided when I was mucking about inside.  Deteriorating eyesight and larger hands made me appreciate not having to finagle every little piece inside.  

Plus it was a great place to kick my feet up on (best foot stool ever).

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Devo said:

I used to have a full tower until I got tired of moving it about.  I didn't need it, but I enjoyed the extra space it provided when I was mucking about inside.  Deteriorating eyesight and larger hands made me appreciate not having to finagle every little piece inside.  

Plus it was a great place to kick my feet up on (best foot stool ever).

I'm right now looking at picking up some cheap reading glasses at the grocery store.  Fucking forties and the shit they're doing to my eyesight...

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, _Juris said:

The other confounding factor with SLI here is that it is sometimes an after-the-fact addition - someone starts with a single-card setup that they think will last, but it ends up not lasting as long as they want, so they try to add a second card in SLI to an existing setup.  And SLI doesn't need dedicated cooling to be effective (although it certainly helps).

But when single card doesn't cut it anymore 1st card is obsolete and adding one more is less effective than buying new card. 

 

SLI is primarily targeted for high speed setups without money as problem. It's for 3DMark penis and pushing the limita of current systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

But when single card doesn't cut it anymore 1st card is obsolete and adding one more is less effective than buying new card. 

SLI is primarily targeted for high speed setups without money as problem. It's for 3DMark penis and pushing the limita of current systems.

Not necessarily true, depending on budget and what card you're starting with, because at that point the first card is a sunk cost, so the question is does buying another to put in SLI get you greater performance per added dollar than buying a completely new card does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, _Juris said:

Not necessarily true, depending on budget and what card you're starting with, because at that point the first card is a sunk cost, so the question is does buying another to put in SLI get you greater performance per added dollar than buying a completely new card does.

 
 
 

But then you risking, more heat, more power draw, more incompatibility issues, and most certainly less than 2x performance. 

 

I thought about 970 SLI, and i bought 1070. 

 

1070 is less expensive than other card (trade in 970) (+ all other stuff like heat, power and stutter)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmdr_riker said:

40's?!? I thought you were a retired old dude. hmm

WHAT

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

This quote thing wont go away and it wont let me type anywhere other than in it...

 

Oh ok double enter does apparently.

 

Anyway, i honestly think you are overthinking the entire thing, along with overthinking a lot of the stuff in your build as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

 

Oh ok double enter does apparently.

 

Anyway, i honestly think you are overthinking the entire thing, along with overthinking a lot of the stuff in your build as well. 

I probably am, but when it's a question of spending $500-$1,000, I like to make sure I'm min/maxing it enough to get the best system I can for the money within reason.  I'm not gonna rack my brain to save $10 total, but if I can cut $100 off the total price by thinking it through carefully, I'll do it.

It's a good habit with large purchases.  People get into financial trouble buying more house than they can afford or need, etc. and so forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at the end of the day, the question is do you need the extra space on your desk that having a mATX case offers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Well at the end of the day, the question is do you need the extra space on your desk that having a mATX case offers?

In my case, yes.

And even when space isn't an issue, the larger cases and mobos cost more, all other things being equal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

In my case, yes.

And even when space isn't an issue, the larger cases and mobos cost more, all other things being equal.

 

Not necessarily but i don't like fridge as PC case :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...