This is a general question to those that skip past tanks or use a lot of free experience to unlock what ever module and that is, why do you do it?

For me when it comes to a new grind on a tank which I do one grind at a time, I use free experience to unlock one module that is most useful on the tank and the rest I grind out for no matter what, be good or bad and I never skip due to my way of thinking which is the more I play in the tank, the more I learn its strengths and weaknesses as well as map awareness and what positions best suits it plus the general all round experience in tiers with what it can and cant handle and the game itself, I learn more.

From the very low tier to the high tier, I grind it all.

This is just a out of curiosity post :)

I do it becouse I generaly dont like playing anything below tier 9. I dont like the fact that in very low tiers ppl run around without any goal, i dont like the fact that you have to fight your own tank and RNG than enemy, i dont like the fact that there are huge gaps between some tiers in +2mm. I enjoy playing tier 10 so thats what i do.

Tiers 1 to 4 are not worth playing, you just use so much to train crews for few games it needs to get next tank. Tier 5 is usually ok, but still so little free exp needed so you can just as well go for T6 directly. T6 you can play in SH, or in randoms a few games if they are not too bad. T7 is the one I mostly free exp, many bad tanks and not a fun to be bottom tier in randoms. T8 is usually SH grind again, and T9 is the best tier in the game so only modules will be free'd, just because I don't play this game that much so I want to get the most out of time I play it which means no stock tanks.

I don't usually skip tanks unless it's low tier trash like a tier 2 or 3, those tiers don't interest me at all.

As far as modules go, I'm fine with dropping free XP to up the performance of the tank, I can easily build a pile of free XP by playing tier 10s with a free XP booster up. Stock KV-4 remains the worst thing I've ever played in this game, and I have no intentions of repeating that experience. As Anfield put it in one of his videos, "I'd rather spend time fighting the enemy than fighting my tank".

There's a number of tanks that just can't perfom adequately until they get their top gun, and often it's locked behind a heavier turret, that you need to get the 2nd suspension to use, and the stock engine is too wimpy, meaning you're very slow and vulnerable... lots of thing to grind before you can start to be at least 'meh'. Performance at that stage is just not conducive to making much XP, soooo.... free XP some modules to speed things up towards barely acceptable performance.

THEN, things go smoother towards getting that gun.

The way I normally do it is..

- For the tracks I have all the suspesion mods which I use on most grinds to get around weight restrictions.

- For guns I check stats, and if with a bit of gold spam I can work with a stock or another alternative gun (not necessarily top) I'll use that and save the free exp.

- For the turret and engine I generally accept the grind, unless its really unbearable.

- For the radio.. who cares.

For tanks which are doable but a bit of a pain on stock grinds I'll just do daily doubles with boosters.

NB: Things like the tortoise I free exped the top gun, I did for the conq and wz11111111114 as well (before having bought them lol).

13 minutes ago, sr360 said:

*gasp* HERESY!

I thought it was a terribly boring potato

No horrifically crippling features to make it interesting, nothing particularly good to compensate, it felt bland

Some would argue that the armor was good but at best it was iffy considering the tank is HEAT bait

Cause I can, some bad tanks I can deal with if they have some redeeming feature that makes them entertaining to use (shitter Emil) mean while there are tanks that just don't work like the a-44  and tanks that are so plain that it's not interesting to play.

9 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I play to experience everything, so I do most every grind. Or at least try. Tanks like the Sturer Emil got their guns free XP'd after a few rounds.

This, though I even ground through the St.Emil's gun.  I don't grind tanks, though, generally only playing them for their dailies.

In response to a few of the comments above, I have over 750k+ free XP and only convert some when there is a discount on it and as for playing low tiers and crews, as a elite collector, I never sell and so tanks below a certain tier have their own crew at some what a decent level but when I reach a certain tier is when I train a 100% crew and its them that start to get moved up where it becomes more of a needed thing.

Thanks all for their comments, its was very interesting to read opinions :)

15 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I play to experience everything, so I do most every grind. Or at least try. Tanks like the Sturer Emil got their guns free XP'd after a few rounds.

This is a TD that I heard a lot of hate about but I used free XP to get top gun and grinded the rest and actually really liked it, didn't see the issue with it what so ever.

13 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

You didn't have to play the stock VK3001P in 2011/12, otherwise you 'd sing a different tune.

No I haven't but even if I did, I will still make my self suffer grinding it XD

12 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

Ever played the US Stuart?

Yes I have and this was one I also heard bad about so I expected it but never skipped it, instead I just played it and towards the end of the grind I actually started to like it.

19 minutes ago, SlyMeerkat said:

No I haven't but even if I did, I will still make my self suffer grinding it XD

After you suffered "tiger mobility" on a t6 med fighting t9s like the IS4 with your ~120mm pen, you 're cured of stock tanks.

I usually just free exp the gun(plus track/turret if it's required to mount the gun), cause gun is what makes a tank. Luckily german tanks have decent stock gun(i play mostly germans) so i rarely use free exp.

It purely depends on a tank;

If it requires speed to be effective - free xp the tracks engine

If it's capable but can't mount equipment - free xp tracks

It it's effectiveness relies on it's turret or gun - free xp the turret/gun (namely the Conqueror before the Cent AX was introduced!! Everyone could just lol-pen your stock turret)

If it's the T28 prototype then skip it altogether (I made the mistake of grinding from stock with no free xp - this was the tank that taught me how to use free xp!!)

I have skipped a lot of full lines. I hate +2 MM with a fiery passion. 

US mediums T1-10

Czech Meds T1-10

British Heavies T1-9.5 (played like 30 games in conq)

German meds 1-9

Soviet IS4 line T7-10

Grille 1-10 (handful of games in the rhm and Wt pz 4 each though, not a large dent in XP). 

God how I miss skirmish gold rewards........ 10k/week for just having a small group of high skill. 

On 16/01/2017 at 8:05 AM, It's_Matra said:

It purely depends on a tank;

If it requires speed to be effective - free xp the tracks engine

If it's capable but can't mount equipment - free xp tracks

It it's effectiveness relies on it's turret or gun - free xp the turret/gun (namely the Conqueror before the Cent AX was introduced!! Everyone could just lol-pen your stock turret)

If it's the T28 prototype then skip it altogether (I made the mistake of grinding from stock with no free xp - this was the tank that taught me how to use free xp!!)

Usually if its something like getting the top gun but cant mount it due to needing upgrading suspension, i would rather use my free xp once to get the top gun and mount the enhanced torsion bars that will allow me to put it on and than grind the rest :)

On 16/01/2017 at 1:10 PM, KittenFixE50ValuesBabyRage said:

I have skipped a lot of full lines. I hate +2 MM with a fiery passion. 

US mediums T1-10

Czech Meds T1-10

British Heavies T1-9.5 (played like 30 games in conq)

German meds 1-9

Soviet IS4 line T7-10

Grille 1-10 (handful of games in the rhm and Wt pz 4 each though, not a large dent in XP). 

God how I miss skirmish gold rewards........ 10k/week for just having a small group of high skill. 

Interesting..... Well looking at your shown stats (sorry to point that out but just curious) dont you think that maybe you need to slow down a little and learn the game mechanics and tank weak spots?

Fair enough on skipping low tiers for most people up to like tier 6 for example and then start to grind but by learning the tanks you are up against, even with the 2+ MM, it would definitely help you get better and improve, if of course you are wanting to get better as no one can force you, just wondering :)

22 minutes ago, SlyMeerkat said:

Usually if its something like getting the top gun but cant mount it due to needing upgrading suspension, i would rather use my free xp once to get the top gun and mount the enhanced torsion bars that will allow me to put it on and than grind the rest :)

You can do that - though you do lose the other benefits of upgraded tracks other than it's load limit

Interesting..... Well looking at your shown stats (sorry to point that out but just curious) dont you think that maybe you need to slow down a little and learn the game mechanics and tank weak spots?

Fair enough on skipping low tiers for most people up to like tier 6 for example and then start to grind but by learning the tanks you are up against, even with the 2+ MM, it would definitely help you get better and improve, if of course you are wanting to get better as no one can force you, just wondering :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Do you have any idea who that is who you are calling a noob? The same advice you gave should also be considered by yourself... I'd also include learning when to make a tactical retreat to your advice too. The longer you stay alive the more you can do to help your team.

Don't go to flanks on your own and call your team noobs, if you MUST go to that flank then be sure you are in a position where you can support your team and vice versa; NEVER trust your team to support you, but always support your team.

40 minutes ago, SlyMeerkat said:

Interesting..... Well looking at your shown stats

Those aren't the droids stats you are looking for.

Try this: http://wotlabs.net/na/player/nightmare_luna

(The purple rank below the profile picture is a giveaway)

CarbonWard and some others also has fake stat under their name, so I would be careful. :minglee:

I tend to start grinds from tier 8 and grind it in SH, or if the tank is actually good I play it in randoms too. Tier 9 is the best tier in game, so I usually enjoy those quite a lot. 

Not like I've put that money in this account, but clan gold has enabled me to get 15 tier10s in 7,5k battles :serb:

1 hour ago, TAdoo87 said:

Those aren't the droids stats you are looking for.

Try this: http://wotlabs.net/na/player/nightmare_luna

(The purple rank below the profile picture is a giveaway)

CarbonWard and some others also has fake stat under their name, so I would be careful. :minglee:

Really!?, huh, I was not aware of that, thanks for letting me know, I didn't mean any offence by it :) ..... Why would they do that is my question?

1 hour ago, SaintLaurentius said:

I tend to start grinds from tier 8 and grind it in SH, or if the tank is actually good I play it in randoms too. Tier 9 is the best tier in game, so I usually enjoy those quite a lot. 

Not like I've put that money in this account, but clan gold has enabled me to get 15 tier10s in 7,5k battles :serb:

Yeah, being in an awesome clan like that would be very helpful and something i would like to get in to one day but ages away from that but as for now, I dont think I'm doing too bad? :)

2 hours ago, It's_Matra said:

You can do that - though you do lose the other benefits of upgraded tracks other than it's load limit

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Do you have any idea who that is who you are calling a noob? The same advice you gave should also be considered by yourself... I'd also include learning when to make a tactical retreat to your advice too. The longer you stay alive the more you can do to help your team.

Don't go to flanks on your own and call your team noobs, if you MUST go to that flank then be sure you are in a position where you can support your team and vice versa; NEVER trust your team to support you, but always support your team.

I didn't call anyone a noob, I'm not that kind of person but if that's the impression I gave off well I can surely let you know, that is NOT what I intended. I was just saying that to someone who i 'thought' was a new player but didn't know otherwise :)

Forgive me and cut me some slack, it was just a simple mistake and also I am too always up for learning and taking on positive criticism to get better, the more the merrier :)