Sign in to follow this  
Mesrith

Russian Destroyer split

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/how-ru-dd/

The opening paragraph is poorly written or translated, but the following paragraphs lay it out.  Khabarovsk remains at the top of what they're calling the "destroyer leader" line focused on artillery, while the second line will split off at tier 7 and be a more balanced, traditional destroyer line.  A few existing destroyers are being moved and/or re-tiered, and they're adding three new ships to the game.

It's funny that Gnevny is being moved up to tier 6.  Stay strong and keep my Gremy at tier 5, WG!

I only own the Gremy, ( plus Anshan and Byskawica which are in the same vein/mold ) and have never gone past the tier 2, so I don't understand much of the flavor change between a "Destroyer Leader" and an "Artillery Destroyer".  That being said, the new tier 7 and 8 IJN destroyers provide significantly different gameplay then their previous line mates at tier.  I expect that these new ones will be interesting as well.  Frankly I'd rather see more DD's and Cruisers in the Soviet line, than a paper BB line of completely dubious ships. 

1 minute ago, BiggieD61 said:

I only own the Gremy, ( plus Anshan and Byskawica which are in the same vein/mold ) and have never gone past the tier 2, so I don't understand much of the flavor change between a "Destroyer Leader" and an "Artillery Destroyer".  That being said, the new tier 7 and 8 IJN destroyers provide significantly different gameplay then their previous line mates at tier.  I expect that these new ones will be interesting as well.  Frankly I'd rather see more DD's and Cruisers in the Soviet line, than a paper BB line of completely dubious ships. 

I'd rather see British, French, and Italian ships before seeing any new Russian ships period, but I know what you mean.

The first paragraph seems to differentiate "destroyer leaders" and "artillery destroyers" as the two lines, but the later paragraphs claim the new line will be more "traditional".  I think what will happen is that the current Khabarovsk line will continue to be dominated by large, artillery-based destroyers, while the new line will have better torpedoes and less emphasis on the guns.  They even say that they'll be similar to the German ones.

4 minutes ago, Mesrith said:

I'd rather see British, French, and Italian ships before seeing any new Russian ships period, but I know what you mean..

It's a travesty that British BB's are still not in the game client.  French and Italian ships were also quite advanced and developed, and worthy of inclusion - all we have is the Dunkerque and the Warspite at tier 6 from those 3 nations considerable BB fleets.

2 hours ago, Crossfader said:

so a big fucking let down

:trollface:

But seriously, the german DD-line must be the most prenerfed line in the entire game. They had some promise and then got hammered down into near uselessness for reasons I just do not understand.

Something caught my eye while reading the announcement

NA article: "...each branch will have its own set of consumables for more tactical options." Radar on the alt line perhaps? Last thing we need is radar on DDs, but it could possibly work with a nerfed 10-15s 8km version. While not making them absolute garbage-tier to compensate, like with German DDs. Of course not Comrade, Russkiy boats stronk boats DA

EU article: "Add that to a greater variety of tactical possibilities, as each branch will have its own set of equipment." A special equipment piece, like the USN BB accuracy mod perhaps? On a side note, considering all the different consumable choices and line-specific peculiarities in the game it would be a good idea to put tooltips/previews for all tech lines and premium ships

Also, Tuccy claims that the previously announced Smeliy, Neustrashimiy and Kotlin will come later.

4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

It's a travesty that British BB's are still not in the game client.  French and Italian ships were also quite advanced and developed, and worthy of inclusion - all we have is the Dunkerque and the Warspite at tier 6 from those 3 nations considerable BB fleets.

Blame Challenger pissing on the Admiralty Records Office for that one.

2 hours ago, Madner Kami said:

:trollface:

But seriously, the german DD-line must be the most prenerfed line in the entire game. They had some promise and then got hammered down into near uselessness for reasons I just do not understand.

It's to make up for their BBs being so good.

10 hours ago, How_Terrible said:

What did he do this time?

Same issue with the museums he hacked off: He's a charmless oik. The rumours were that he was sent to the Admiralty earlier in the project because Lesta wanted RN Battleships in fairly early and they didn't have great material. And... we'll it's Challenger, representing a Russian company at the lowest ebb of U.K.-RU relations since 1980 and talking to senior military personnel. Pasholok went off on one over his behaviour in the whole in a blog comment last year.

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/03/28/yuri-pasholoks-rant/

1 hour ago, OnboardG1 said:

He's a charmless oik

So, I guess, he fits right in with WG...

Seriously, WG EU is a giant clustrerfuck and I can't fathom why noone in mother Russia hasn't set this bloke free.

Back to RU DDs being the most important ships in the game: I have the Kiev (post nerf) and it is probably my favortie tier VII ship. Even bought the camo. I also LOVE the Udaloi (even bought the camo) even though I suck in it for trying to play it like a Kiev at a tier where people can actually aim - but it's getting better.

As I see it I will be all settled with both lines?

On 17.01.2017. at 7:26 AM, Birkovic said:

Novice question: I'm currently at the Ognevoi. If by the time the split happens I'm at say tier 8, do I get both tier 8s, or how does it work?

You're better off staying on the Kiev and keeping the Ognevoi, that way you get the T9 Kiev, T8 Ognevoi, free T7 Minsk and free T6 Gnevny and you get to skip the Trashkent (which is not really that horribly trash, just requires careful gameplay which is really not easy to do, add to the fact that the Kiev spoils you with its much smaller size and overall clumsiness).

On 17.01.2017. at 11:20 AM, Jaegaer said:

As I see it I will be all settled with both lines?

Yup, maybe even try researching the Khaba and then sell both the Kiev and Minsk for big $$$

In other news, stuff from ST was leaked on The Daily Bounce, and there is still some inconsistency in the main branch (the supposed main reain for the rework). TL;DR Podvoisky (t5) has more guns AND higher HE dmg than the Gnevny while having much longer reload. Then there's the Minsk, again with higher HE damage but much faster reload, having approximately the same DPM as the current Kiev while trading higher DPM for worse torps compared to Leningrad. Tashkent remains unchanged. Ognevoi on T8 gets Defensive AA, 8km torps and Udaloi's guns with some stealth-firing capability muh KM DDs, WG pls being a fleet support DD with DPM on the low side. Then there's a Kiev vs Udaloi disbalance, with Kiev being slightly more maneuverable but getting less HP and gun range (remember, it's in the DDL line) while the Udaloi gets Defensive AA, making it an overall better ship. Finally there's Grozovoi, it gets less range than Khaba, 30% less DPM, insane ballistic properties (950 m/s boi), pretty decent torps, workable concealment and Defensive AA.

58 minutes ago, Yurra said:

muh KM DDs, WG pls

It was funny reading the Q&A on the Armored Patrol where the guy was saying that KM DDs needed no buff and were OK, just lacking a WOW factor and here thy come with these new RU DDs and some of the old ones which get a WOW+ factor in many cases.  Having HAS on the KM DDs just isn't enough.

7 hours ago, Yurra said:

You're better off staying on the Kiev and keeping the Ognevoi, that way you get the T9 Kiev, T8 Ognevoi, free T7 Minsk and free T6 Gnevny and you get to skip the Trashkent (which is not really that horribly trash, just requires careful gameplay which is really not easy to do, add to the fact that the Kiev spoils you with its much smaller size and overall clumsiness).

Thank you for this, comrade :)

It sounds almost too good to be true!